Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times

Advertisements

I have a question I haven't found a good answer to, I'm hoping someone can help. What is the Tea Party's stand with respect to religious issues? From what little I've seen in actual coverage of their positions, their focus is on smaller government, less government intrusion into people's lives and reducing government confiscation of wealth via taxes. I haven't seen anything about their stand on abortion or other religious issues. Do they have any such position? Given that the Tea Party is generally a grass roots organization, I don't know if there is any centralized platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have a question I haven't found a good answer to, I'm hoping someone can help. What is the Tea Party's stand with respect to religious issues? From what little I've seen in actual coverage of their positions, their focus is on smaller government, less government intrusion into people's lives and reducing government confiscation of wealth via taxes. I haven't seen anything about their stand on abortion or other religious issues. Do they have any such position? Given that the Tea Party is generally a grass roots organization, I don't know if there is any centralized platform.
The "tea party" is not really a party. It is a group of people who are fed-up with liberal politics, and politics as usual. Most (if not all) tea party candidates are running as republicans. But, as far as religion... I wold assume that they are a general mix of Christians & Jews.
What is the democrats stance? the republicans?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
The tea party are just far rightwing evangelical extremists. You can search this forum and google for all the info you need. Otherwise he's a video to check out

YouTube - Sarah Palin's Top 10 Tea Party Mamma Grizzlies (from DC Douglas)

Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The tea party are just far rightwing evangelical extremists. You can search this forum and google for all the info you need. Otherwise he's a video to check out
Could you provide some concrete evidence where religion or political affiliation is used as criteria for membership or rally participation?

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,566 times
Quote:
Here is an editorial on the topic from today's WaPo:
Party/ religion/ sect/ cult

By Mathew N. Schmalz | September 21, 2010; 07:57 AM ET

On Faith Panelists Blog: Party/ religion/ sect/ cult - Mathew N. Schmalz

Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
The tea party are just far rightwing evangelical extremists. You can search this forum and google for all the info you need.
That's false, many Tea Party supporters like myself have no affiliation with any religious group nor do we seek to eliminate or give special respect to any religious group. The Tea Party's stand on religion is in line with the US Constitution.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Social/religious issues are taking a back seat in this election. Really isn't relevant to the most important issues we face today - taxes, spending, deficits, government intrusion, etc, etc.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times
This Tea Party members views are

While I dont agree with abortion it is the law and that isnt going to change. So its actually not an issue that I vote on

Religion- I believe we all have the right to practice it or not. I think there needs to be a lot more respect though for those that do wish to practice. I dont think someone should be insulted for practicing or not practicing. While I believe in God. I dont attend church on Suns and I havent in many many years.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times
Quote:

YouTube - Sarah Palin's Top 10 Tea Party Mamma Grizzlies (from DC Douglas)
^^ False I am not Evangelical or an extremist unless following the Constitution, wanting gov out of my life and to be able to keep more of what I earn is extremist. If you think it is I would say it is you that is the extremist

Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 AM

783 posts, read 815,457 times
Quote:
They are anti government extremist conservative christians who see secular government as an impedient to their faith and its spreading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies