Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Yes I am a vegetarian but I am looking for other points of view- not to argue- but just curious on this...

Our teeth are not like an animal's who must eat meat to survive, although I realize centuries ago when there were no freezers to store vegetables for the winter, I suppose meat might have been the only food source, thus we did need to eat meat? OR are there vegetables that can still grow in sub zero temps?

Just kinda looking for different point of views. I am not looking to be convinced one way or another of anything nor will I try convince you to not eat meat.
not a matter of do they need to, but what they like? You choose to be a vegetarian, good for you, others enjoy meat, good for them.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You would do well to remember that we are humans, not some beasts in the jungle Most rules from the animal world don't apply to humans anymore. Just look at the way we life, totally unnatural.
I am not sure what fairy tale world you live in, but I have news for you. The way we are going, at some time in the not too distant future we will probably see a serious break down in society.(SHTF) When that happens you will find out just how much jungle really rules do apply, and how uncivilized your fellow humans can be. At that point the meat eaters may just consume the grass eaters. There's natural for ya.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Yes I am a vegetarian but I am looking for other points of view- not to argue- but just curious on this...

Our teeth are not like an animal's who must eat meat to survive, although I realize centuries ago when there were no freezers to store vegetables for the winter, I suppose meat might have been the only food source, thus we did need to eat meat? OR are there vegetables that can still grow in sub zero temps?

Just kinda looking for different point of views. I am not looking to be convinced one way or another of anything nor will I try convince you to not eat meat.
yes humans do need to eat meat as there are certain amino acids that we can only get from meat that we need to nourish our cell structure. i will grant that we probably dont need to eat as much meat as we do though. also the meat we should be eating should be free of antibiotics, and growth hormones designed to fatten up farm animals before slaughter. leaner game meats are better. meats like venison and bison are quite good for us, and quite tasty also.

as for vegetables, if you shield them from the cold, and provide the nutrients they need as well as enough light, you can grow vegetables in the dead of winter. a couple of ways to do this, build a greenhouse, or create a hydroponics area with growth lamps.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:42 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
I'm a vegetarian...an ova-lacto vegetarian who eats eggs and dairy products. Well, actually a beef-pork-chicken-fish ova-lacto vegetarian who will not under any circumstances eat meat...if it is spoiled.

Cows and pigs and chicken and seafood taste so gooooood.

Last edited by marcopolo; 09-25-2010 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
I'd like to post my thoughts, but I have to go start browning a pot roast.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:05 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I would say the zebra is smarter, but of course it does not really have the weapons to defend itself against such beasts as lions. It is a bit like with big strong youths mobbing the weak computer nerd with an IQ twice as high
It’s a bit relative, if the animal with the higher IQ gets eaten and then becomes extinct then who was smarter?

Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
It’s a bit relative, if the animal with the higher IQ gets eaten and then becomes extinct then who was smarter?
That's what I heard happened to the Neanderthals.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Neand...ve-15264.shtml

Neanderthal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-25-2010, 02:11 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The Republicans won.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,761 times
Quote:
Quote:
The Republicans won.
I agree with you! Here in America its the liberals who are in control now!

Funny thing, although they don't typically eat meat they are cannibals!

Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
The Republicans won.
so get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies