Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: News and a Question, Do you try not to buy products made in China?
Yes 19 70.37%
No 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Hi, My Wal-mart store seems to sell everything that made in China and I try not to buy anything made China but it's almost impossible to.

News, Avoiding 'Made In China' labels not an easy task.

Avoiding 'Made In China' labels not an easy task - CNN.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
I used to try to avoid products made in China but several years ago I noticed that almost everything was made in China. There really isn't much choice anymore so I don't even try.

I recently bought a snack food made by a company named "Florida's Natural." When I flipped it over on the back, it read "Made in China." That pretty much says it all.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM

467 posts, read 325,291 times
The biggest way I avoid this is to just NOT shop at Wal-Mart.

I think they are the 5th largest IMporter of Chinese goods. See, for all you conservatives out there who thought I was such a communist - I try to stay away from the true supporters of communism -Wal-Mart.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,453,103 times
YES!!! My husband actually got me in this mode. He used to check everything I bought to see if it was made in China (not as a controlling whatever... he's a great guy). Some things you just can't avoid, but if there's an alternative to buying from China we'll fork out the extra cash to buy it.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 AM

One of the worst things about Wal-Mart is they force many businesses to lower their prices to the extent that the company must then either outsource their manufacturing to countrys like China or skimp on quality. Either way - we get screwed as Americans whose jobs are either going over seas or we're getting substandard items.

Rubber Maid went out of business due to this practice.

The answer is to NOT shop at Wal-Mart

Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,668 times
You know, I thought I was trying to be good and not buy products from China. I know I specifically will no longer buy any food products from China -- for us or our doggie. However, it's really difficult to not buy products made in China. For instance, just on my desk:

My DSL modem -- made in China; my Kodak camera dock -- made in China; my Kodak camera -- made in China, designed in Japan!; my Dell computer -- made in China; even the SurgeMaster protector is made in China.

And those are the items I can readily find "made in"....at least the Rand McNally atlas of the USA was made in the USA!! Imagine that.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:13 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,149 times
I usually shop at Wal-mart about every other month, and only as a last resort. I don't head to Dodge unless I absolutely can not get the item here in my small town. I willingly pay a bit more to shop here at home, and will even wait to get my item by having to order it rather than support Wal-mart and other big business. I try not to buy things made in China, but man! It's not easy! I bought a new product yesterday at our local grocery store. It was a fruit soda. It never even dawned on me until too late, but when I checked the label it was made in China! Good grief! We have to import soda now???

Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,499 times
I'm really careful about checking food products I buy, but I have to admit sometimes I have to make a trip to Wal-Mart.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:19 AM

When I decided to stop shopping there it hit me like a ton of bricks HOW OFTEN I actually went there! I never realized how tied to the place I was.

It took some effort, but I've managed to totally break free. There are tons of other places you can go. Of course, as soon as I managed to completely eliminate them from our "diet" we stationed here in Washington state and the local Wal=Mart was quite a distance away. That is until a few months later when one opened down the hill. I drive almost 10 miles out of my way to go elsewhere. It is worth it.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, My Wal-mart store seems to sell everything that made in China and I try not to buy anything made China but it's almost impossible to.

News, Avoiding 'Made In China' labels not an easy task.

Avoiding 'Made In China' labels not an easy task - CNN.com (broken link)

HMMMM made in China with hefty price tags on things like sneakers etc and the Chinese workers are paid what??? So they go overseas for lower costs but don't pass these savings on to the American consumer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies