Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
University of Texas Austin Shooter Identified as Colton Tooley - ABC News

This one has better information. WTF is this kid doing with an AK-47?
Because it wasn't a real AK-47.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I'm apathetic about the green movement. Sorry buddy. If I want green I will go to Tennessee, New Orleans, or Miami.

It's unfortunate that such a smart student committed suicide in such a horrendous manner. Either his home life was very abusive and they were tormenting him. Maybe they found out he was gay and they started to torment him. Or, UT Austin has some problems with bullying and hostility against those who are different. The stress at UT Austin can be incredible from what I have seen. I believe both have played a part in this tragic event. The reaction and behaviors of the shooter (i.e., UT Austin student) is incredibly bizarre. Almost like that of an intoxicated person. Perhaps, he was poisoned with drugs which is what I think happened. I hope they do an autopsy and assess for drugs. I hope the police will do the right thing and uncover whatever corruption lead to this suicide. This shooting was not normal. We know from prior tragedies that psychiatric medications have played a role in suicidal and bizarre behaviors. Perhaps, they were slipped into his food. Who knows!?? It's a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess it depends on how liberal you are artsyguy.
Austin is definitely not California type liberal.

Austin is one of America's greenest cities:
Going Green: America’s 10 Greenest Cities | Employment Spot

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-28-2010 at 11:47 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 04:39 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm apathetic about the green movement. Sorry buddy. If I want green I will go to Tennessee, New Orleans, or Miami.

It's unfortunate that such a smart student committed suicide in such a horrendous manner. Either his home life was very abusive and they were tormenting him. Maybe they found out he was gay and they started to torment him. Or, UT Austin has some problems with bullying and hostility against those who are different. The stress at UT Austin can be incredible from what I have seen. I believe both have played a part in this tragic event. The reaction and behaviors of the shooter (i.e., UT Austin student) is incredibly bizarre. Almost like that of an intoxicated person. Perhaps, he was poisoned with drugs which is what I think happened. I hope they do an autopsy and assess for drugs. I hope the police will do the right thing and uncover whatever corruption lead to this suicide. This shooting was not normal. We know from prior tragedies that psychiatric medications have played a role in suicidal and bizarre behaviors. Perhaps, they were slipped into his food. Who knows!?? It's a mystery.
As much as I find artsyguy's trolls about the city of Austin to be completely annoying and not grounded in reality even as far as subjectivity goes, I feel I must admit that I share his opinions in this specific case. The shooting was too ****ing weird. He didn't actually shoot at anyone, at least not according to the news I've been reading. He walked in and around the campus, fired shots into the air, then ran into the library and killed himself. Completely atypical to nearly every other school shooting I've ever heard about. Perhaps there was some familial abuse or tormenting from peers going on; contrary to artsyguy's opinions, I find it hard to believe that UT Austin is so much worse than any other institution in this regard, but alas, like any other city, **** like that does happen. I'm just glad that there were no other fatalities or injuries (several of my friends were in and around the campus at the time). And I am very interested in learning what exactly caused this outburst.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:59 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
I've been prowling my news sources and can't find anything about that kid's religion.

Is that important? Maybe. He looks awfully Middle Eastern to me. Of course, he could also look Hispanic. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference in a photograph.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
As much as I find artsyguy's trolls about the city of Austin to be completely annoying and not grounded in reality even as far as subjectivity goes, I feel I must admit that I share his opinions in this specific case. The shooting was too ****ing weird. He didn't actually shoot at anyone, at least not according to the news I've been reading. He walked in and around the campus, fired shots into the air, then ran into the library and killed himself. Completely atypical to nearly every other school shooting I've ever heard about. Perhaps there was some familial abuse or tormenting from peers going on; contrary to artsyguy's opinions, I find it hard to believe that UT Austin is so much worse than any other institution in this regard, but alas, like any other city, **** like that does happen. I'm just glad that there were no other fatalities or injuries (several of my friends were in and around the campus at the time). And I am very interested in learning what exactly caused this outburst.

Or....maybe he was sent to do that just to time the response from law enforcement.

It's happened before, though not here that I'm aware of.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
They have so far found nothing..he was doing well in school, no notes, no facebook page, no problems in his classes. They are stumped. They did find a paper he was proposing to write on gun control.

Here's what they have in our local papers:
Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

Class papers show Tooley had fascination with gun control policy in U.S. | The Daily Texan (http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content/class-papers-show-tooley-had-fascination-gun-control-policy-us - broken link)

Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I watched some of the students there when it happened and all said he could easily have killed others if that was his intent. Apparently he just wanted a public suicide.He obvious had probelm but wsn't intent on taking others with him from what they witnessed.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 AM

580 posts, read 1,081,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Or....maybe he was sent to do that just to time the response from law enforcement.

It's happened before, though not here that I'm aware of.
Oh of course the crazy conspiracies are gonna come pouring in. I'm still just intrigued, in a sort of awful way, about what exactly caused this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies