Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

Documents released by the CIA show that the US government wasn’t all an honest and truthful as what we would like to believe. The “family jewels” release by the CIA has many of us now asking more questions about issues of the past.

Article by Bill Van Auken:

Quote:
The CIA’s release Wednesday of a nearly 700-page, previously classified set of documents known within the agency as the “family jewels” has served to spotlight rampant state criminality in Washington that continues to this day.
Quote:
The documents were compiled in the midst of the 1973-74 Watergate scandal, sparked by the bungled burglary of Democratic Party offices in Washington, in which two of the perpetrators were long-time CIA operatives.
Quote:
This popular resonance stems from the stark similarities between the illegal activities carried out by the CIA in the 1960s and 1970s and the current crimes of the Bush administration.
CIA documents show US government as principal terror force on the planet (broken link)

Makes you wonder sometimes as to just how much you do know about the issues of today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
None of this is new or "shocking". A biased source's new spin on this might serve to rile up the particular audience it is targeting, but I'm guessing a majority of Americans aren't shocked that the CIA has made plans in the past to assassinate foreign leaders or that they'd committed murder in the past, etc....

Maybe when they re-write the story in another 10 years or so it will serve to anger you a third time???

Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Remember Saddam Hussein, that evildoer that we spent billions to depose? The one whom it was so vital for us to get rid of that our leaders lied us into a war? People tend to forget that the CIA help to put him in power in the first place.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 AM

With this type of secrecy and corruption in government I can understand why people of other countries don’t want our democracy.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Sometimes the enemy dictates the rules. And sometimes people use the enemy as an excuse to dictate the rules themselves. It's a tricky game, all in all, but you really do have to watch out for the latter...

Old 07-03-2007, 08:32 AM

626 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
None of this is new or "shocking". A biased source's new spin on this might serve to rile up the particular audience it is targeting, but I'm guessing a majority of Americans aren't shocked that the CIA has made plans in the past to assassinate foreign leaders or that they'd committed murder in the past, etc....

Maybe when they re-write the story in another 10 years or so it will serve to anger you a third time???
Sure, there are many people who will not be shocked, but I also know many people who did not believe our government would do any of this, especially things like testing LSD on American citizens. Hopefully this information will help some of the sheep to wake up.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:43 AM

Exclamation Do you see the evil now?

Seems I remember several other topics in this forum that people just don’t believe our government could possibly have anything to do with an event that was being looked at as a conspiracy. Why our government wouldn’t do that to Americans. If our government did that hundreds of witness would step forward and tell everyone. How could they keep it secret? Well now you can see how this secret agency of your government is working. IT’s not the government that is bad, it’s some of the people in the government that are evil. http://www.airamericaplace.com/boards/style_emoticons/default/rage.gif (broken link)

Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Sure, there are many people who will not be shocked, but I also know many people who did not believe our government would do any of this, especially things like testing LSD on American citizens. Hopefully this information will help some of the sheep to wake up.
That's fair. Sadly many nations have these ultra-secret intelligence organizations. The CIA certainly doesn't hold a monopoly on the ugly and covert world of espionage, etc.. They just have more resources than most and work for the most powerful nation in the World at the moment. Back during the cold war years I'd love to see a side by side comparison on operations performed by the CIA compared with the KGB and get an idea of what each was doing.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
That's fair. Sadly many nations have these ultra-secret intelligence organizations. The CIA certainly doesn't hold a monopoly on the ugly and covert world of espionage, etc.. They just have more resources than most and work for the most powerful nation in the World at the moment. Back during the cold war years I'd love to see a side by side comparison on operations performed by the CIA compared with the KGB and get an idea of what each was doing.

I'd like to know how much the CIS isn't admitting to

Old 07-03-2007, 12:45 PM

626 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
What I want is for Americans to have a realistic view of this country. On one hand, I see people talk about how the US is this great nation of freedom, etc. They say we're better than every other nation. On the other hand, these same people use the justification that "everyone else is doing it", when discussing issues like Guantanamo.

I bring this up because you compare the CIA to the KGB. I don't think the comparison is relevant. We should not be judging ourselves this way. We should judge the actions of the CIA based on what this country believes is right or wrong. These hypocritical comparisons (justifications) need to stop. I believe the behavior of the CIA is unacceptable, REGARDLESS of what the rest of the world is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies