Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I may well start a thread thusly:

I have noticed that many people on the Right engage in sexual relations with underage boys and girls. They seem to think that the 'age of consent' mandated in all 50 states is a 'suggestion' but not a law. It is not. Conservatives are fools to think that they may rape children under the age of consent, regardless of how rich they are. Plying children with Whiskey also does not mitigate the crime, regardless of what Conservatives may think. The fact that a well-known conservative radio commentator believes in having multiple wives does not excuse statutory rape. Aren't Conservatives stupid, and have odd looking children?

But, that would be silly of me, so I won't do it.

Touche'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:41 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
I obviously can read and understand much better than you. By the way, simply yacking about "them" and "they" does not actually prove any argument you advance.

Hey, why not try Wikipedia as a source???
Wikipedia... LOL... READ what the progressive posters are saying when anything about religion or prayer at or even near a public place is conducted. Just go read the peewee football thread.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:47 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Wikipedia... LOL... READ what the progressive posters are saying when anything about religion or prayer at or even near a public place is conducted. Just go read the peewee football thread.
And I suggest you read proper material concerning the First Amendment. Your original sentence was not only ill written, but betrayed a gross misunderstanding of the 'separation' clause. I see that some other posters have caught your mistake.

By the by: I have grave doubts (although I am not certain and am willing to be informed) that Thomas Jefferson was in the habit of going to Washington D.C. to give 'sermons' inside of Federal buildings.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
And I suggest you read proper material concerning the First Amendment. Your original sentence was not only ill written, but betrayed a gross misunderstanding of the 'separation' clause. I see that some other posters have caught your mistake.

By the by: I have grave doubts (although I am not certain and am willing to be informed) that Thomas Jefferson was in the habit of going to Washington D.C. to give 'sermons' inside of Federal buildings.
Haha, you are obviously the one that needs to go do proper reading both about the clause itself and about Jefferson having church sermons in Govt. Buildings in DC. I can't believe you have the audacity to argue about any of this when you clearly don't have a clue. You are perfect case in point of what this thread is about.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

When in town, he couldn't wait to attend Sunday church services in the chambers of the Capitol.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM

For the clueless:

Quote:
The separation of church and state is a legal and political principle derived from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . .
Stopping people from praying on public property is a violation of "prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Nowhere in that document does it say it is forbidden on public property.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When in town, he couldn't wait to attend Sunday church services in the chambers of the Capitol.
Thank you. I couldn't remember exactly which building it was so I generalized the location.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Haha, you are obviously the one that needs to go do proper reading both about the clause itself and about Jefferson having church sermons in Govt. Buildings in DC. I can't believe you have the audacity to argue about any of this when you clearly don't have a clue. You are perfect case in point of what this thread is about.

I now remember you, SourD. One day you called me a "Stalinist" (indeed, on that day you were calling everyone a Stalinist).

I will now officially and formally call you a: Stalinist.

Why? Not because I believe you would support a man responsible for the murders of millions of his own countrymen, but because you do not tolerate, in any thread you appear on, the slightest opposition or disagreement to any statement you make. It is behavior of a tyrant.

I must now go back to work.

However, I have decided, from reading your responses on this and other threads (including one you just started about Unions) that you are 1) either a youth, say around age 19 or so, or 2) emotionally incapable of handling any rebuttal to your statements, whether they be real or imagined.

Hence, you must excuse me, SourD, from ever responding to any of your threads or notes again. Should I forget, in future, please remind me and I will delete the response.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
I just have to put this out there. I have noticed that not many people on the left, especially Liberals and Progressives actually know what the Separation of Church and State actually means. They, for some reason, think that you can't pray on public property. That is so false it is funny. Jefferson used to hold Church sermons in the Federal Buidlings in DC. All it means is that the Fed Govt. can't establish a state sponsored religion. That's ALL it means!
I believe a population set of (self purported the only 'true christians true americans') religious people have antagonized enough. In their minds they've issued themselves out license and badges of authority to claim sole proprietorship of America. Their PACs craft policies with the notion that America ought to be run as a theocracy, and that I vehemently disagree despite my religious upbringing. This is antithetical to the constitution and to our founders intentions. Deeper understandings of the religions they claim authorizes them to behave as they do also bolsters the observation that they are out of compliance with their very religions they claim need defense and artificial props from secular world.

The only appropriate intersection of religion and secular politics in free society is a service of temperance for moral dilemma issues. It's one thing to give someone a platform to voice their concerns which ultimately shape a grander policy, but another thing entirely when they collude, obfuscate, and undermine governance as regularly as they've done. It's not about the greater good anymore, it's about power grabs for self interest. Religion asserting itself to dominate secular runs contrary to the legitimate core purpose of religion that America has lent wide berth of deference and respect. That respect has been, and continues to be, abused. They are failing to walk their own talk. Ironic beyond belief they could be so oblivious to themselves, particularly Judeo-Christian faiths, which insist on freewill as cornerstone for relationship with God. Boundary issues are afoot and wrong headed religious are the perpetrators, not the victims they've been selling everyone.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I now remember you, SourD. One day you called me a "Stalinist" (indeed, on that day you were calling everyone a Stalinist).

I will now officially and formally call you a: Stalinist.

Why? Not because I believe you would support a man responsible for the murders of millions of his own countrymen, but because you do not tolerate, in any thread you appear on, the slightest opposition or disagreement to any statement you make. It is behavior of a tyrant.

I must now go back to work.

However, I have decided, from reading your responses on this and other threads (including one you just started about Unions) that you are 1) either a youth, say around age 19 or so, or 2) emotionally incapable of handling any rebuttal to your statements, whether they be real or imagined.

Hence, you must excuse me, SourD, from ever responding to any of your threads or notes again. Should I forget, in future, please remind me and I will delete the response.
Great! It works for me since you can't argue with a cinder block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies