Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Within my post you responded to, I never said many people hate America. I said some people. As for the England, UK, Britain stuff; the people I spoke of, when asked where they're from, regularly say England. Their words.
As someone who has lived in the UK I can tell you this: If you ask an American where they are from they will often say New York, California, or Texas but that does not change the fact that the name of their country is the United States of America nor does saying "I'm from England", or "Scotland", or "Wales" change the fact that they're from the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
How about those who hate our nation's military (Berkeley and parts of San Francisco for example)?
That's both retarded and nonsensical. I've spent plenty of time in the bay area and most people don't "hate our nation's military" or "hate America". That's a lame right wing red herring which sadly you're falling for. Just because someone disagrees with how the government is choosing to use or nation's military (like rarely using it for real national defense and instead often using it for things completely unrelated to the real defense of the nation) doesn't mean they hate America. I'm sure you're not that dumb and can in fact do better.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Here's another example of some people who hate America,...this time in Seattle
Seattle welcomes everyone (http://www.falangist.com/CFPA-OLD/seattle6.htm - broken link)
WOW! You found some fringe website named after a 1960-1970's Christian terrorist group from Lebanon. Congratulations! Do you want a cookie? Now show me something main stream to back up your lame BAM statements or kindly admit defeat as it seems so obvious you wish to do.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Sorry but I can't believe this! You can't get accepted at an American University without passing the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score that certifies that you'll be able to use and understand English in an academic setting.

As for Europeans hating America that's a myth (I'm Swiss but I lived in different European countries and I never encounter someone that hates America... I've encounter people that hate Europe but not America)
Want to bet? Lots of US universities offer intensive ESL programs for a year followed by university degree programs. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:50 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
As someone who has lived in the UK I can tell you this: If you ask an American where they are from they will often say New York, California, or Texas but that does not change the fact that the name of their country is the United States of America nor does saying "I'm from England", or "Scotland", or "Wales" change the fact that they're from the UK.
Except of course all countries in the Union are represented on the world football (soccer) stage as seperate nations,as in rugby and cricket.
Ny,CA nor TX can claim such status.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:01 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
That's both retarded and nonsensical. I've spent plenty of time in the bay area and most people don't "hate our nation's military" or "hate America". That's a lame right wing red herring which sadly you're falling for. Just because someone disagrees with how the government is choosing to use or nation's military (like rarely using it for real national defense and instead often using it for things completely unrelated to the real defense of the nation) doesn't mean they hate America. I'm sure you're not that dumb and can in fact do better.
Berkeley, California does in fact hate the military as evidenced by their actions in passing a resolution telling the Marines they were unwanted and unwelcomed intruders to their city then trying to find a legal way to evict them from the city. Then after it was all over, the mayor and most of the town council were re-elected. There's a segment of the population of San Francisco who does in fact hate the military.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
WOW! You found some fringe website named after a 1960-1970's Christian terrorist group from Lebanon. Congratulations! Do you want a cookie? Now show me something main stream to back up your lame BAM statements or kindly admit defeat as it seems so obvious you wish to do.
If you had been more patient you would have seen my link to the same story in the Seattle PI. Go back a page and click the link to read the story.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Intelligence, composure, and moral courage.
sarcasm is just one of many qualities that koolaid has to offer

Old 10-02-2010, 09:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
How about those who hate our nation's military (Berkeley and parts of San Francisco for example)? How about those who only look at the negative aspects of our nation's founding fathers instead of their qualities which led them to risk their lives in signing the Declaration of Independence and helping to create this nation? How about those who only look at the negative parts of our nation's history while ignoring the good our nation has accomplished? How about those who pass on our nation's secrets to our nation's enemies or to provide aid and comfort to our nation's enemies? To disagree with a politician, members of the government, or a military action is not to hate your country. But to do the above things I listed, among others not listed, is to hate your country.
No it isn't. And your saying that it is so, doesn't make it so.

To claim someone doesn't love their country just because they differ ideologically with you on some points is more hateful to the ideals this country was founded upon than the actual points that you happen to disagree on.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:03 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Sorry but I can't believe this! You can't get accepted at an American University without passing the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score that certifies that you'll be able to use and understand English in an academic setting.

As for Europeans hating America that's a myth (I'm Swiss but I lived in different European countries and I never encounter someone that hates America... I've encounter people that hate Europe but not America)
Many American universities have intensive ESL programs that students are accepted into, so it is not outslde the realm of possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies