Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:46 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times

Advertisements

film a protected class person without permission?

Film a woman, muslim, black, hispanic without permission, if the purpose of the video is to stereotype, that will be considered a hatecrime?

Or does the person have to be unbalanced and commit suicide for it to be a hatecrime?

People are filmed without permission all the time, look on youtube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:50 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
And that makes it OK?

Do you really give a crap about filming or are you just using another excuse to start one of your little Liberal bashing whines?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
film a protected class person without permission?

Film a woman, muslim, black, hispanic without permission, if the purpose of the video is to stereotype, that will be considered a hatecrime?

Or does the person have to be unbalanced and commit suicide for it to be a hatecrime?

Wow... You can't tell the difference between filming someone on the street and filming them in their private living space when their door is closed?

It seems some are so anxious to mischaracterize what progressives believe that they are willing to make fools of themselves stating the ridiculous.

The story is tragic. An 18 year old is dead... Two other college students ruined their lives over their stupidity. Three families will never be the same. I guess some have become so "teapartied" they fail to have compassion for anything or any one...

So to answer your question, in a word: No.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Wow... You can't tell the difference between filming someone on the street and filming them in their private living space when their door is closed?

It seems some are so anxious to mischaracterize what progressives believe that they are willing to make fools of themselves stating the ridiculous.

The story is tragic. An 18 year old is dead... Two other college students ruined their lives over their stupidity. Three families will never be the same. I guess some have become so "teapartied" they fail to have compassion for anything or any one...

So to answer your question, in a word: No.
That 18 year old, a legal adult, killed himself. Had he not killed himself, nobody other than a handful of people would have ever known about this.

Something tells me that the "two" involved in this aren't tea partiers.

You are also forgetting the the Ravi guy lived in that room.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
That 18 year old, a legal adult, killed himself. Had he not killed himself, nobody other than a handful of people would have ever known about this.

Something tells me that the "two" involved in this aren't tea partiers.

You are also forgetting the the Ravi guy lived in that room.
I think you misunderstood what I said. I wasn't insinuating that the two involved were tea partiers...

According to your logic, it would be ok to secretly put cameras in your bedroom and bathroom and broadcast what happens there on the internet. You wouldn't like that would you? Or perhaps according to you, since your straight and Clementi was apparently gay, only you have a right to privacy?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think you misunderstood what I said. I wasn't insinuating that the two involved were tea partiers...

According to your logic, it would be ok to secretly put cameras in your bedroom and bathroom and broadcast what happens there on the internet. You wouldn't like that would you? Or perhaps according to you, since your straight and Clementi was apparently gay, only you have a right to privacy?
I thought you liberals th ought people have the right to do whatever they want in their own home?

Ravi lives there. Are you saying he shouldn't be free to do what he wants where he lives?

And why did you bring up tea partiers? Were they involved in this somehow?

You are forgetting that Ravi pays the rent for that room. He has a right to be there at ALL times. He has a right to know what's going on in h is apartment, like Clementi does as well..

Old 10-01-2010, 08:32 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
I thought you liberals th ought people have the right to do whatever they want in their own home?

Ravi lives there. Are you saying he shouldn't be free to do what he wants where he lives?

And why did you bring up tea partiers? Were they involved in this somehow?

You are forgetting that Ravi pays the rent for that room. He has a right to be there at ALL times. He has a right to know what's going on in h is apartment, like Clementi does as well..

oh please gimme a freaking break already.

Ravi is scum- no!! cameras were not necessary, he did it out of malisciousness.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
oh please gimme a freaking break already.

Ravi is scum- no!! cameras were not necessary, he did it out of malisciousness.
How do you know? And did he intent for Clementi to kill himself?

If it's done out of maliciousness, then you prove my point if you want it banned.

Will people no longer be able to film others engaging in stereotypical behavior, that would be a hate crime, right?

If I walked into fried chicken place in a majority black area, and it's all blacks eating fried chicken, is the mere fact I filmed it and posted it, a hate crime?

If I film the goings on in a mosque, is that a hate crime?

If someone who dislikes jews films a circumcision, is that a hate crime?

If someone who dislikes jews films kashrut slaughter of animals, is that a hate crime?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
This has to be one of the all time dumb threads I've ever seen. Just a quick question--do you think it would be ok for me to go into your home and sneak a camera into your bedroom just because I think you're a nut and I disagree with what you believe?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
How somebody managed to connect "liberals" and "hate crime" to this story is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies