Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 03:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Well there no doubt about that, a humans butt is there for a purpose as is their mouth, sure a person can do what they want with is but the normal or natural thing is eating and pooping, of course some don't seem to know what the purpose of these things are.
You're against oral sex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 03:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're against oral sex?
That would have nothing to do with the purpose of the mouth if i was or not

Old 10-03-2010, 07:14 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,839,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
That would have nothing to do with the purpose of the mouth if i was or not
yes, it would. If you say that we as humans should only use our bodies as they are intended for their functioning purpose, then that means that you would fundamentally be against oral sex.

You see, you can't make a valid argument by picking and chosing which body parts are to be used for funcionality only.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:28 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Maybe, just maybe religious people think homosexuality is unnatural and immoral. Ever think of that? Will you let them have their own opinion or no?
So is plastic but I don't hear about Christians opposing it. And they are entitled to their opinion even though it might be wrong. It's not that people won't let them have their opinion, it's that the subject is none of their freaking business. They break their own rule when they judge others, so, yes, the OP is correct: the religious right wants its cake and wants to eat it too.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
yes, it would. If you say that we as humans should only use our bodies as they are intended for their functioning purpose, then that means that you would fundamentally be against oral sex.

You see, you can't make a valid argument by picking and chosing which body parts are to be used for funcionality only.
But, I think you're missing the point. By saying that gays can marry, have the same protection under the law as any other group, you are not outlawing the activities of that group of people. Rather, the Constitution does not support that gay people are a protected class. To be a protected class means that group of people can marry, cannot be fired for that purpose, etc. As you can see from the many opinions here, not everyone is signing off on being gay as a biological feature. Rather, there are many, many people that believe being gay is a lifestyle choice and lifestyle choices are not given equal protection under the law. Big difference than saying they aren't allowed to live that lifestyle.

I think if the gay community spent more time proving that they were indeed "born" that way as they spend on forcing the populace to accept their lifestyle, they would find it much easier to find equal protection under the law. However, up until now being born gay is still a theory and just saying that you're born gay does not amount to proof.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Rather, there are many, many people that believe being gay is a lifestyle choice and lifestyle choices are not given equal protection under the law.
People are protected by their choice of religion, and religion certainly qualifies in my mind as a lifestyle choice - much more so than sexual orientation. Most Americans would say that they've chosen their religion; very few say that they've chosen their sexual orientation.

Quote:
I think if the gay community spent more time proving that they were indeed "born" that way as they spend on forcing the populace to accept their lifestyle, they would find it much easier to find equal protection under the law.
Actually, I think gays are doing quite well finding equal protection under the law. Things have changed dramatically over the last 20 years.

By the way, I don't think most people are impressed with anti-gay bigotry.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 10-03-2010 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The actual truth to the matter is, they are just whining because they can't have something someone else has even if they can have something similar. They just want to throw a wrench in it because they can't have it.
I'm fine with Civil Unions...YOU can call it whatever you'd like(it's just semantics); as long as I have the same government sponsored benefits as you are entitled to.

See it's this simple.....I pay the same taxes as you; so I demand the same rights you enjoy.....nothing special.....nothing more; but nothing less either.....unless you drop my tax rate by 50% or so.

So now are you going to allow same sex couples to get "unionized".....You are just using rhetoric to try to disguise your bigotry and hatred.

Plus I have a question for you......Can you tell me..... "Does this rag smell of Chloroform???".

Old 10-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
People are protected by their choice of religion, and religion certainly qualifies in my mind as a lifestyle choice - much more so than sexual orientation. Most Americans would say that they've chosen their religion; very few say that they've chosen their sexual orientation.
As I said in my original post, religion was another matter because it was specifically enumerated in the Constitution. When talking about equal protection though and the protected classes, you see one thing that jumps out at you over others. Protected classes can't help what they are (i.e. race, gender, disabled, etc). If gays could prove they are that way and it is not a lifestyle choice, then they could easily gain proctection under equal protection and tell the rest of us to shove it. Thus far, they have not done so.

Only other choice would be an amendment to give rights specifically to gays. I ask you honestly, do you think that would happen in this country?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
As I said in my original post, religion was another matter because it was specifically enumerated in the Constitution. When talking about equal protection though and the protected classes, you see one thing that jumps out at you over others. Protected classes can't help what they are (i.e. race, gender, disabled, etc). If gays could prove they are that way and it is not a lifestyle choice, then they could easily gain proctection under equal protection and tell the rest of us to shove it. Thus far, they have not done so.
Why did the Civil Rights Act specifically mention religious choice if it was already enumerated in the Constitution?

Quote:
Only other choice would be an amendment to give rights specifically to gays. I ask you honestly, do you think that would happen in this country?
Laws regarding sexual orientation aren't written to protect gays, specifically; they're written to protect everybody on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Is your point that it should be legal to discriminate against people based on their actual (or perceived) sexual orientation?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Is your point that it should be legal to discriminate against people based on their actual (or perceived) sexual orientation?
In my state it is. I think you're under the impression that I am one of those that believe gays are immoral or whatever. Actually, I'm not. I am just telling you why gays aren't afforded equal proctection under the law no matter where they live. Quite honestly, if gays can indeed prove they are born that way, then fine, argument over as far as I'm concerned.

Why did the Civil Right Act even get adopted? Because people were discriminating against others for something they had no control over. It was wrong; it was rectified. Now, there are two basic paths to get gays the exact same rights as other protected classes. They can either do so through the Constitution or the Supreme Court can declare they are covered as a protected class. The reality is that the Supreme Court will not do this and will simply continue to not take cases that deal with this issue. The other is changing the Constitution and that's yet another battle.

Courts are evidentiary based. If they could prove they should belong to the proctected class, then they would indeed be protected under the law. My personal opinoin is that the easiest route to prove this is proving gays are born that way. Thus far, it hasn't been proven, and people still consider it a lifestyle choice. Tough battle for the gays as far as I can see.

Last edited by southbel; 10-03-2010 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies