Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
And that's what I don't understand. You, I, and everyone on this planet exhibit acts of faith EVERY DAY; pretty much every minute.
I believe the term you are looking for is "confidence", which is not the same as "faith" in the religious sense.

Quote:
Do you have faith, if your are married that your partner will be "faithful" to you?
Not if I've already caught her en flagrante delicto.

Quote:
Do you have 'faith" that every time you drive your car across a bridge that it will support it's weight (or do you hire an engineer to check it first).
No, but that's not "faith", it's a balancing of risk. I'm aware every time I get into an automobile at all that I could die horribly in a collision. One has to decide some risks are worth taking in order to deal with life; but that's not "faith" either.

Quote:
Do you have faith that your employer will pay you after you have completed a hard days work?
I expect them to, but only because I work in the U.S. in 2010 and not, say, Russia in the mid-1990s. (In that case it would require faith to expect to see your paycheck!)

Quote:
But you don't believe in a all-knowing Creator. And you mock people who do.
I couldn't care less if anyone believes in a creator, unless and until they start demanding I live according to the stupid ideas in their holy books. Trouble is, they usually do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
People dismiss religion but cling to the big bang theory.
A theory that any scientist will admit has a lot of unanswered questions. And that is all it is a theory.
Do you have any idea at all what you are talking about? Have you read anything at all on the subject? Even in the kids' edition of Scientific American?

There is nothing in the Big Bang Theory (which was proven true in 1964 every bit as fully as Einstein's Relativity Theory was in 1919) that contradicts religion. The Pope said so as far back as 1951. I don't what rock you'd have to turn over, perhaps in the Middle East or perhaps in some dung hill in Alabama, to find a cleric who doesn't know this.

Second, please familiarize yourself with what a scientific theory is and spare the rest of us a lot of wasted time.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:38 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yet another religiously biased person who mistakenly believes that the term "theory" in regard to science is the same as a layman's "theory".

Learn the difference please. You're making yourself look uneducated.
Sorry buddy but maybe you should read up on it yourself if you believe it is anything other except a "theory."

Can't help but note the irony though, you stoop to personal attack with, "you're making yourself look uneducated" (BTW I have a science degree). While I may "look uneducated" to you because I have a Christian perspective it is you who must be uneducated if you believe it is any more than a theory.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Do you have any idea at all what you are talking about? Have you read anything at all on the subject? Even in the kids' edition of Scientific American?

There is nothing in the Big Bang Theory (which was proven true in 1964 every bit as fully as Einstein's Relativity Theory was in 1919) that contradicts religion. The Pope said so as far back as 1951. I don't what rock you'd have to turn over, perhaps in the Middle East or perhaps in some dung hill in Alabama, to find a cleric who doesn't know this.

Second, please familiarize yourself with what a scientific theory is and spare the rest of us a lot of wasted time.
Umm I'm sorry you seem so angry but maybe you should really study up to redeem yourself because the "big bang theory" is just that. Proven? (lol) yeah right!
And BTW I agree that big bang doesn't contradict religion but it was God that provided the bang. I suggest in the future before you spew your harsh rhetoric you know what you speak of. Thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I believe the term you are looking for is "confidence", which is not the same as "faith" in the religious sense.
Not if I've already caught her en flagrante delicto.
No, but that's not "faith", it's a balancing of risk. I'm aware every time I get into an automobile at all that I could die horribly in a collision. One has to decide some risks are worth taking in order to deal with life; but that's not "faith" either.
I expect them to, but only because I work in the U.S. in 2010 and not, say, Russia in the mid-1990s. (In that case it would require faith to expect to see your paycheck!)
I couldn't care less if anyone believes in a creator, unless and until they start demanding I live according to the stupid ideas in their holy books. Trouble is, they usually do.
Oh "balancing risk" is that what it is? lol.
And I don't know who has demanded that you live according to "stupid ideas in a holy book" but I certainly have no expectations of you doing that lol!
And like I said before I am not here to convince anyone. I answered a question in this debate not directly to you.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:09 AM

783 posts, read 815,324 times
Unfortantly religion tends to breed alot of ingonorance of reality espacially the conservative rightwing flavor of religion.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:33 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Science is ever changing.

Science is self correcting.

When was the last time the bible was changed due to 'oops, we were wrong' issues?

Prior to May 14, 1948 the question "Can a nation be born in a day?" was unsettled, but now the matter has been put to rest with the reestablishment of the Jewish State. (Isa 66)

Some of the things recorded in the Bible didn't make sense even to those who recorded them since the circumstances surrounding the time of their fulfillment were unknown. In this way they were sealed.

Although I heard, I did not understand. Then I said, “My lord, what shall be the end of these things?†And he said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

Dan 12:8-9 NKJV

Before they happened, people didn't know how the events of WW2 and the rise of the Nazis would bring about the rebirth of the state of Israel, but now it all makes sense. Everything associated with Irael's reemergence happened right on schedule. The Bible reveals itself within the context of our own history. That's how we verify its legitimacy, but it doesn't change because changing would nullify the prophesies which, as they come to pass, validate the source.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Ok darwin and religions students assuming we came from apes we have no proof how life came to be. If we had a big bang THEORY how did that come about and I really don't think teascopes are now seeing is believing.

Guesses are not fact. If the bang was able to produce such energy and create our galaxies and billions of stars and planets we are we so sure we evolved from apes. Any reason we can't just be something and unquie. Seems to me we have chaos in the universe which is also orderly and designed.
The planets rotation, gavity, all animals, fish, and the universe. Christians don't like darwin because science destorys the bibles idea of creation. Science doesnt like god or religions ideas of creation because it doesn't use facts and figures. Both science and the bible's ideas come from MAN, Man wrote and ideas based on faith or science but are still mankinds failed attempts at putting the unknown into boxes.

Mankind has consistantly been wrong and we have no idea about the forces and energy that bind our univere together.

Mankind once thought the earth was made in 6 days, the world was once flat, the sun revolved around the earth. Everyone was a witch and need to be burned at the stake. Science still doesnt know if milk is good for you, eggs are bad for you, how much water you really should drink.

It comes to mankind is flawed in all its ideas and sometimes briliant ideas we still have much to learn assuming we make that long to learn anything.
Common ancestor =/= came from apes.

If you want to get down and dirty, everything came from single cell organisms.

Or a magical deity created us from dirt and a rib.

The Bible has been rewritten several times. Many things are not included. In other words, it ain't the whole thing. Like the Gospel of Judas, for example.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5340606
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_judas

Old 10-02-2010, 04:56 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It changed every time that it has been interpreted or misinterpreted.

Yes, but this creates a dilemma for the non-believer since an interpretation like the KJV, once published, is a sort of witness in that the prophesies, as interpreted, will either come to pass or not. When they do, the fact that the Scriptures were settled in print before the event (reestablishment of Israel May 14, 1948) leave only two reasonable explanations. The first is that the Bible is more than simply another religious book. The fulfilled prophesies validate an entity beyond our current understanding exists, is timeless and knows the end from the beginning. The other possibility is that it's all an enormous hoax perpetrated by the Allied and Axis Powers who timed the end of WW2 and the British who timed the termination of their authority over Palestine to coincide with Bible prophesy. In that case, the joke is on us.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:59 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, but this creates a dilemma for the non-believer since an interpretation like the KJV, once published, is a sort of witness in that the prophesies, as interpreted, will either come to pass or not. When they do, the fact that the Scriptures were settled in print before the event (reestablishment of Israel May 14, 1948) leave only two reasonable explanations. The first is that the Bible is more than simply another religious book. The fulfilled prophesies validate an entity beyond our current understanding exists, is timeless and knows the end from the beginning. The other possibility is that it's all an enormous hoax perpetrated by the Allied and Axis Powers who timed the end of WW2 and the British who timed the termination of their authority over Palestine to coincide with Bible prophesy. In that case, the joke is on us.
I think it's a creation of the Lizard People. Some say they are a hoax, too. But I've seen lizards. And I've seen people. So It's defitely possible.

The Best Conspiracy Theories (Lizard-People Are Running the World!)

For more info on the REAL DEAL click the article above and accept everything as fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies