Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much discrimination is there against whites in the United States?
A lot 38 27.94%
Some 33 24.26%
A little 26 19.12%
None 39 28.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,108,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If you think every White American male that ever got a job earned it on merit alone you are deluding yourself. White American men have been using things like political patronage and the "Good Ole Boy Network" for years to secure jobs purely based on who they knew and what connections they had. Qualifications were purely a secondary issue. These systems are still in place today.
So it's wrong to give a friend a job? Or recommend him for a position or promotion? It's wrong to network and develop connections, connections that take months or even years to build? It's wrong to get to know people? Should we just ignore the fact that humans are social creatures who will make connections and build relationships?

You say it's few and far between that white guys get jobs based on merit. How about black guys? Do you think they 100% of the time have to earn their way? Or do you just cry "racism!" when the white guy beats him out for a job? Victim mentality, yet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The United States does not have an official language, though there are those pushing hard to make English the official language, it hasn't happened yet.

Personally, an English Only law would be racist, but that doesn't mean it can't be passed anyway.
How is that racist?? Black people speak English, too, as do all immigrants who want to become citizens or get along socially with basically anybody else in America. That's how it's been for the last 500+ years when the European settlers arrived and staked their claim to the USA.

It's stupid that we do not have an official language. Having to speak English does not discriminate against anyone. If you can't speak the language, you do not belong here. If an immigrant wants to be at home in America, they need to assimilate to a certain extent, and that includes speaking the proper language.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM

[quote=Lucario;16821350]
Quote:

Of all developed countries, this is the most monolingual. It speaks both to our lack of competitiveness in the economic and academic spheres as well as our insularity and xenophobia. And it indicates that America really has no desire to educate its children properly and thoroughly.
You're kidding, right?

How many languages do you speak, and where did you learn them? Let me guess, you speak English b/c duh, you're in America, and you also speak Spanish b/c you were raised by Spanish parents. Maybe another language instead of Spanish but the same principal applies.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So you are for discrimination as long as it is only against a certain race.
How about a system that punishes discrimination regardless of what races it is committed against?
How do you end racism by institutionalizing it?
Johnny was bad for being a bulley. Now we will let everyone except Johnny be a bulley so everyone is even?
Great post! I totally agree. This is exactly what is going on here in America today.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

To show you the contrast I'm in contact with South Koreans on a regular basis. EVERY South Korean that I talk to considers learning English an essential skill to be competitive in the market place or to place their career on an upward mobile trajectory. Some of these people are learning Chinese on top of that.

Compare that with some Americans that resent learning Spanish. It's that attitude that will make us less globally competitive as a country.
That means that people recognize that America is (or at least was) an economic powerhouse and to do business with us, they need to learn the language. Do you, on the other hand, speak Korean, since you interact with them on a regular basis? I didn't think so.

I know some Spanish b/c I spent the first 8 years of my life in Miami, had a Cuban step-father (and my biological father is also Cuban) and b/c I chose to take it for four years in high school and one semester in college. The college I attended required 2 years of high school foreign language and 1 year at the college level (which I got out of b/c of the high level of Spanish I placed into). This requirement is increasingly becoming the norm. But do you think every college graduate goes on to use Spanish almost at all, much less daily? I forgot most of what I know and I AM Spanish! It's a sad attempt at creating more diversity. It's just not used enough, and it shouldn't be. If you wanna go to America, you gotta learn the language.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Those laws are in fact in place. However, by advocting or by institutionalizing any form of discrimination you only serve to perpetuate the problem. Is 0 tolerance for discrimination of any kind so wrong?
Quota systems will never deliver a fair, balanced or quality result.
Tinman, I have been banging my head against a wall trying to tell people this. They don't seem to understand that by saying a black person needs to get a job over a white person, completely aside from merit, that is encouraging special treatment for people based on skin color. That totally perpetuates racism. But this fact is lost on many who think blacks deserve to be given handouts just to win the competition against their white counterparts.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,251 times
Quote:
Those laws are in fact in place. However, by advocting or by institutionalizing any form of discrimination you only serve to perpetuate the problem. Is 0 tolerance for discrimination of any kind so wrong?
Quota systems will never deliver a fair, balanced or quality result.
Well the results we've achieved in the last 50 years have worked better than anything we've tried in the past. So the problem of one group of people practicing exclusionary practices has been mitigated to a great extent but still not totally eliminated. As long as there are people who feel that really don't care for "diversity" there are going to need to be protections put in place to for people who have historically been discriminated against. I'd be happy to revisit the issue in 20 years and see if changes need to be made.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I think it's funny how people are saying we have free choice to get any job we choose and that if we want a job that requires Spanish speaking ability, we should save our money for Rosetta Stone and take our time to learn and become fluent in the language.

Aren't you the same people who believe poor people are poor b/c they have a justifiable excuse for not working or are a victim of their circumstances?? The irony is amazing.
As for the bolded point, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I was just suggesting that this person take some personal responsibility for themselves and work harder so they can save up the money to invest in some new skills. Maybe pick up some freelance writing gigs.

What was that you said about irony being amazing? I figured that your callous and cavalier attitude toward poor people and those without opportunities would carry over to this situation. But I guess since this poster is not black and therefore not a shiftless, lazy freeloader, he deserves our empathy.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

You're kidding, right?

How many languages do you speak, and where did you learn them?
Six, with varying degrees of fluency. All were learned in America.

Quote:
Let me guess, you speak English b/c duh, you're in America, and you also speak Spanish b/c you were raised by Spanish parents. Maybe another language instead of Spanish but the same principal applies.
Your point. Do you have one?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:48 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
[quote=andrea3821;16823005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

You're kidding, right?

How many languages do you speak, and where did you learn them? Let me guess, you speak English b/c duh, you're in America, and you also speak Spanish b/c you were raised by Spanish parents. Maybe another language instead of Spanish but the same principal applies.

I realize this wasn't addressed to me but I speak read and write Spanish fluently and both of my folks only speak English. It's called motivation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies