Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much discrimination is there against whites in the United States?
A lot 38 27.94%
Some 33 24.26%
A little 26 19.12%
None 39 28.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I think it's slightly stupid that women are classified as a minority. There are about 50% women and 50% men on this planet. Women are not minorities and should not receive benefits as such. It may be harder to get some respect in the business world, but I'd rather earn my own way than have it handed to me just for the fact that I'm a woman.
If you think every White American male that ever got a job earned it on merit alone you are deluding yourself. White American men have been using things like political patronage and the "Good Ole Boy Network" for years to secure jobs purely based on who they knew and what connections they had. Qualifications were purely a secondary issue. These systems are still in place today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
[quote=NorthGAbound12;16815544]You do realize that many other nations have more than 1 official language and America doesn't officially have a language?[/quote]

Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the discrimination that you and your husband face. Are you saying that your husband is the only native born American at his company and all his other coworkers are foreigners on H1 Visas or immigrants?
No. He's not the only American born in the company, just in his team. His company is trying to be PC and show that they are a diverse place to work, wich is fine, but you should treat everyone the same.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The last I checked ENGLISH was the official language of America. Why should Americans have to use Rosetta Stone to get a job, in our own country. Shouldn't the non-speaking English people, learn our language, not the other way around?

Just exactly where are you from??
Show me where our official language is English. I will show you what proves it is not.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html
(Look under languages.) I was shocked the first time I saw this too. We don't have an official language.

If English were our official language it would save the taxpayers much money. Jesse Helms introduced a bill to make English our official language and got nowhere with it. In my opinion we need a bill making English our official language and we need the government to go house to house and clear out the illegals. Yes, we need a military police state until our country becomes secure again.

Our country is about 80% white, but blacks and hispanics seem to be running our country.

Last edited by NCN; 11-29-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
[quote=3~Shepherds;16816569]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
You do realize that many other nations have more than 1 official language and America doesn't officially have a language?[/quote]
The United States does not have an official language, though there are those pushing hard to make English the official language, it hasn't happened yet.

Personally, an English Only law would be racist, but that doesn't mean it can't be passed anyway.

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Show me where our official language is English. I will show you what proves it is not. If English were our official language it would save the taxpayers much money. Back in a minute with the proof.
Where does the Constitution allow the federal government to name an official language? I thought the 10th Amendment prohibits that.

States can declare official languages and do. Although it doesn't exactly mean much ; California's "official language" is English but ballots and state materials are still printed in 10 languages and many jobs in California require Spanish and increasingly Mandarin as well as English.

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
I tend to notice it's attitude not color. Years ago it was color now it's attitude.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed and white men have unnecessarily been discriminated against ever since. The quality of service and everything else went straight downhill.
Yup. Life sure was great back when there was slavery.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If you think every White American male that ever got a job earned it on merit alone you are deluding yourself. White American men have been using things like political patronage and the "Good Ole Boy Network" for years to secure jobs purely based on who they knew and what connections they had. Qualifications were purely a secondary issue. These systems are still in place today.
So are you for against discrimination? Are you for it as long as it is only against a certain group?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Where does the Constitution allow the federal government to name an official language? I thought the 10th Amendment prohibits that.

States can declare official languages and do. Although it doesn't exactly mean much ; California's "official language" is English but ballots and state materials are still printed in 10 languages and many jobs in California require Spanish and increasingly Mandarin as well as English.
Guess I will have to read the constitution again. I am all for doing what the constitution says, but I will have to take your word for it, since I have not read it lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies