Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the ideal wealth distribution
The top 20% hold virtually all wealth and resources 8 18.60%
The top 20% hold 90% of all wealth and resources 5 11.63%
the top 20% hold 80% of all wealth and resources 8 18.60%
the top 20% hold 70% of all wealth and resources 2 4.65%
the top 20% hold 60% of all wealth and resources 6 13.95%
the top 20% hold 50% of all wealth and resources 4 9.30%
the top 20% hold 40% of all wealth and resources 3 6.98%
the top 20% hold 30% of all wealth and resources 3 6.98%
the top 20% hold 20% of all wealth and resources (communism fun time!!!) 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Where in the Constitution is government given the power to redistribute wealth?
Where in the constitution does it talk about a public school system?

Progressive tax rates are legal and constitutional. If you don't think so go get a lawyer and waste your money on a law suit you a sure to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 11:22 AM

146 posts, read 155,092 times
ever since women starting working more the inequality has gone up dramatically. Alot of times spouses are of the same educaiton level. This puts household wealth differences on steroids.

Alot of couples meet in school and have the same background. There are 10 couples in my family/wifes family and all of them have the exact same education level as their spouse.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Corporations are in control of this country, and its not you. They determine how low your wage will be for all your hard work (only government laws keep it from going lower). They determine how many hours you will work (only government says that over 40 is overtime pay.) The nice thing about government, we determine who our leaders will be. Corporations don't give us that choice.
Thanks to the right wing in this country that managed to get far right wing Justices appointed to the Supreme court...Corporations ( legal entities created by State laws) now have the same rights as individuals.

Now corporate money is flooding in to campaigns even more than before.

The middle class and the poor don't stand a chance because they're too lazy, apathetic, and stupid to research solutions to problems themselves.

So yes individuals can vote, but most can't figure how to vote in their own self interest because corporate money assures they will be misinformed.

You can see it in this forum.

Poor whites arguing that tax rates on the rich be cut...arguing that their social security benefits be cut.....arguing against funding for the FDA, EPA, SEC, IRS...arguing against public education.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM

another reason there is so much inequality, is so many people are so damn ghetto rich.

if they get a raise or a bonus, it's spent before they even get it.

alot of these people with no net worth don't even know what net worth is.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:37 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
I won't complete your survey because I don't think it matters what share of the wealth belongs to any group.

If I have a comfortable income, savings for emergencies and retirement, and my other life factors are good, why do I care what percent of the wealth I own?

I don't care if 1% of the people own 99% of the wealth as long as I'm comfortable. I do not define my comfort or happiness in terms of what other people have.

Why is it required that you take wealth from one group to improve the lives of another group? Why not focus on improving the wealth of the bottom WITHOUT taking from others?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 AM

choices, choices , choices

Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
There is no ideal income distribution.

What is equality in America? Should we all have the same houses, bank accounts, number of children. Or should it be equality of opportunity. If equal opportunity is the ideal, then there will be all sort of different outcomes since we all have different abilities.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

What is equality in America? Should we all have the same houses, bank accounts, number of children. Or should it be equality of opportunity. If equal opportunity is the ideal, then there will be all sort of different outcomes since we all have different abilities.
That's really profound.

Now can you give us a name of one person who is arguing that we should have the same house, the same bank account, the same number of children?...lol

Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And to add to Electron..if the rich control all the wealth then the poor won't be able to afford their products so prices will come down.

It's a game of how tight can you pull the noose. Government intervention with UE, food stamps, etc though keeps money flowing to the "rich" so they have no reason to lower prices.
unless the rich buy the products instead. its a game of cutting the noose and letting the poor drown. government intervention keeps people alive. why do you think art pieces cost so much? because the poor get free government money to buy them? NO you are wrong. look at how unhealthy and DEAD the poor were in the past.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

which is basically your closet bigot way of saying: "people are not equal". when you think about it.
if you believe in equality, and "equal opportunity" then there should be equal outcomes shouldn't there? your basic premise is that people do not have the same capabilities... what i see is different opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies