Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 PM

433 posts, read 459,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What else can't you purchase with food stamps? Right now?

NON-foods. Get the hint? You can't buy prescription medications, firearms, cleaning supplies, alcohol, tobacco...anything that isn't a food.

What Food Can You Buy with Food Stamps - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

At least in Ohio the following are not allowed:

food that is already prepared and hot to serve cannot be purchased
Food meant to be consumed in the grocery store
vitamins, minerals, and any supplements

These don't look like non-food items to me. Ready to eat and quick though.

Dano
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
What Food Can You Buy with Food Stamps - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

At least in Ohio the following are not allowed:

food that is already prepared and hot to serve cannot be purchased
Food meant to be consumed in the grocery store
vitamins, minerals, and any supplements

These don't look like non-food items to me. Ready to eat and quick though.

Dano
Yep - it's too bad that precludes such FOODS as rotisserie chickens etc though. I'm assuming it was MEANT to stop people using FS to buy fast food.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Yep - it's too bad that precludes such FOODS as rotisserie chickens etc though. I'm assuming it was MEANT to stop people using FS to buy fast food.
You're probably right on the money there. Here, we can buy a whole cooked chicken for 5 bucks at Safeway. Feeds a family of four easily and chicken soup the next day.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
God-forbid people use something other than a microwave!!! Whatever did the world do before the almighty microwave!!! The world starved before that be all, end all of inventions.
Well, women used to actually cook for their men. I'm a man--I don't cook. But now, women don't feel the need to learn how to cook for their men anymore. Too busy trying to hold down an actual job, instead of being a good little housewife.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:44 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
Quote:
Well, women used to actually cook for their men. I'm a man--I don't cook. But now, women don't feel the need to learn how to cook for their men anymore. Too busy trying to hold down an actual job, instead of being a good little housewife.

Who said it had to be a woman in the kitchen, cooking up dinner? I'm a man...I know how to cook. Besides, how hard is it to boil water, drop in spaghetti and heat the sauce in a pan and add the two?

EVERYONE should learn how to cook. BOTH genders.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Alcohol is a beverage. I am a pharmacist, drugs can only be dispensed be me and my colleagues. You can walk to the Piggly Wiggly and pick up a six pack. As I said you will be proven wrong, we can easily control what is bought with food stamps.

If you want to classify alcohol as a drug, so is caffeine. Yet there is no restriction on the purchase of coffee.
You dispense aspirin too? There are plenty of OTC medications that are not restricted by pharmacists. But they're not foods either, they are drugs. That's why they have potential side effects.

If I eat a whole chicken, it won't affect my motor control, but were I to drink a 6 pack--and I refuse to drink alcohol--I'd be pretty wobbly. Alcohol is not only a drug, it's a poison. People willingly poison themselves every day for some sort of altered state that the drug gives them...and society deems it acceptable.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Who said it had to be a woman in the kitchen, cooking up dinner? I'm a man...I know how to cook. Besides, how hard is it to boil water, drop in spaghetti and heat the sauce in a pan and add the two?

It's a woman's proper role.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:

If everyone did everything they should do there would be no need for police, jails, government regulations or programs. Where does human nature fit into your imaginary, polyanic scenario?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If everyone did everything they should do there would be no need for police, jails, government regulations or programs. Where does human nature fit into your imaginary, polyanic scenario?

Cooking, following a recipe, is not a brain-buster. However, I see some people and wonder how they can walk and breathe properly.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Quote:
Because, believe it or not, not everyone knows HOW to cook!! And as said above, also does not have the time to learn, or to take the time to cook something that doesn't come out of the microwave hot and ready five minutes after putting it in!
Iv' been reading this thread and I keep seeing the "I don't know how to cook" excuse over and over. It's a lame one. There are meals that can be put together in 30 minutes, or make a sandwhich or on your day off make enough for several days. Yes it sure is easier to come home and stick something in the microwave and having your day off to do only what you want is more fun. Admit it. It is a don't want to, don't want to learn, don't want to make changes, not a can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies