Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I look at reputation vs. post count to determine who is a light weight. I know, seems weird, but if you see someone with 20,000 posts and 100 rep, it's like... a whole lot of people think you are either wrong, really wrong, or totally nuts. They don't identify with you.

Reading the article now..... lets see what it says.. be back soon.

Edit.

Two paragraphs before the one you linked.

"Most of Obama's private (and sometimes public) rebuttals to the voices slamming him on all sides are justified or spot on. He did inherit a lot of problems from the Bush Administration. He did act quickly in the initial weeks of his Administration to stave off a worldwide depression. His efforts at job creation have been obstructed by Republicans (even the proposals based on policies supported by the GOP in the past). His opponents haven't put forth specifics of their own, nor offered genuine compromise, while the media have allowed the right's activists and gabbers to run wild with criticism without furnishing legitimate alternative solutions"
I was going to quote that part too, but you beat me too it. To the OP--really nice move to cherry pick articles to find a few lines that justify your point of view, and then ignore the rest of the piece that blows it apart....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I look at reputation vs. post count to determine who is a light weight. I know, seems weird, but if you see someone with 20,000 posts and 100 rep, it's like... a whole lot of people think you are either wrong, really wrong, or totally nuts. They don't identify with you.

Reading the article now..... lets see what it says.. be back soon.

Edit.

Two paragraphs before the one you linked.

Most of Obama's private (and sometimes public) rebuttals to the voices slamming him on all sides are justified or spot on. He did inherit a lot of problems from the Bush Administration. He did act quickly in the initial weeks of his Administration to stave off a worldwide depression. His efforts at job creation have been obstructed by Republicans (even the proposals based on policies supported by the GOP in the past). His opponents haven't put forth specifics of their own, nor offered genuine compromise, while the media have allowed the right's activists and gabbers to run wild with criticism without furnishing legitimate alternative solutions

LOL, I use the actual intellectual heft of a posters arguments to determine their intellectual fire power. But hey if you want to use an arbitrary popularity meter as your guidepost for gravitas that is your perogative.

We wait for your insightful analysis with baited breath.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Everyone agrees that everyone does not agree with everyone.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:39 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You only need 41 for a fillibuster.

Now, answer the question. Are you telling me that this is something that they haven't been doing?
And would that 41st person be a Republican or Dem?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:44 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
Answer the question. Are you telling me that this is something that they haven't been doing?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The dems have a filibuster proof majority, the Republicans can only block things if Dems join them.
Um...no...you're wrong. It takes 60 votes to end a filabuster. The Dems have 57 members in the Senate. That's why the R's have done so much yelling and screaming at their more moderate R's like Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins who have occasionally voted with the Dem's...

Old 10-11-2010, 03:45 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I was going to quote that part too, but you beat me too it. To the OP--really nice move to cherry pick articles to find a few lines that justify your point of view, and then ignore the rest of the piece that blows it apart....
I believe it was you who cherry picked one supportive line. If you think that was a glowing review of Obama, he is in worse trouble than I could have imagined.

TOS prevent me from posting to much of the piece but here is another gem.

[LEFT]"With the exception of core Obama Administration loyalists, most politically engaged elites have reached the same conclusions: the White House is in over its head, isolated, insular, arrogant and clueless about how to get along with or persuade members of Congress, the media, the business community or working-class voters. This view is held by Fox News pundits, executives and anchors at the major old-media outlets, reporters who cover the White House, Democratic and Republican congressional leaders and governors, many Democratic business people and lawyers who raised big money for Obama in 2008, and even some members of the Administration just beyond the inner circle."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...#ixzz125awyxJM
[/LEFT]

Old 10-11-2010, 03:49 PM

516 posts, read 376,012 times
No, not really. And the voters agree with me as you shall soon see. The crowd that you seem to belong to is the Obamaobot crowd thinking this inexperienced, unqualified, and ill-educated man-child is actually capable of an intelligent thought without it being written out for him to read.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You only need 41 for a fillibuster.

Now, answer the question. Are you telling me that this is something that they haven't been doing?
It takes 41 votes to hold a filibuster, but 60 to vote for cloture to end it.

Filibuster and Cloture - Rules of the Senate: Filibuster & Cloture

Old 10-11-2010, 03:50 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,229,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Um...no...you're wrong. It takes 60 votes to end a filabuster. The Dems have 57 members in the Senate. That's why the R's have done so much yelling and screaming at their more moderate R's like Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins who have occasionally voted with the Dem's...

It takes 41 to start a filabuster.

I'm still not getting my answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies