Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you believe in more?
Religion 21 20.79%
Science 80 79.21%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 PM

248 posts, read 288,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
If all you have are insults rather than substantive argument, why do you even bother to return?

For god's sake, man. Get a grip.
Lol. I already provided you with an argument; Notre Dame. In the same time highly respected center of science (reaearch university) and in the same time institution affiliated with a major religion the Catholic church. According to your theory of conflict between science and religion such institution should not exist...

Last edited by tristann; 04-21-2012 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The majority of people in the countries I listed don't believe in God, as those percentages show. That's the standard definition of non-believer or atheist.

No it is not. LoL. As long as you believe in something you are not an athesit.
Higher power, spirits whatever you call it.

Quote:
But even going by the strict percentages of people who don't believe in a God or any spirit, they are much higher than in the U.S. That was my point. And that survey was done in 2005. What about going forward - 10 years from now, 20 years from now? You think the percentages of non-believers won't keep going up?
Lol. My church, the Roman Catholic church has been around for almost two thousand years. Judaism some five thousand. Hinduism not much shorter. We will be ok

More and mote people in Europe reject typical American consumerism and self-centered, egoistic approach to life. More and more young people look for inspirition in religion seeing emptiness of existance without any spirituality. We will be ok

Last edited by tristann; 04-21-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Religion generally deals with that which is beyond human understanding.

Science tends to deal with that which can be understood and explained.

Since that which can be fully understood and explained often leads into that which cannot, I really don't see how science and religion can be completely separated.

FTR...to believe what is presented as science sometimes requires more faith than religion.
Quote:
Sounds a bit like a cop-out to me.

What reason is there to believe that anything is beyond human understanding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Since we cannot know that which is beyond our understanding, it's a safe bet that there is plenty we don't know and cannot understand.

Our perspective is limited and thus our understanding is as well.
Quote:
You have just repeated your original bald assertion with no improvement. The question "What reason is there to believe that anything is beyond human understanding?" is not answered by "there just is."

History is filled with examples of things that were once considered "beyond our understanding" that turned out to be completely understandable. The betting money must necessarily be against the argument from ignorance.

I wrote "there just is"?

"What reason is there to believe that anything is beyond human understanding? History is filled with examples of things that were once considered "beyond our understanding" that turned out to be completely understandable. The betting money must necessarily be against the argument from ignorance."

So if I received three letters Monday, three letters on Tuesday and three letters on Wednesday, I will definitely receive three letters on Thursday because you cannot imagine a scenario in which the pattern does not repeat itself?

Maybe I won't get any mail at all on Thursday.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
No there is no conflict. Notre Dame is a respected research university. Catholic university. Do you see any conflict between science and religion here? Do you have better scientific credentials or just consider yourself a scientist because you judt renewed your subscription to Scientific American? Lol
As a research institution, I have no reason to think it doesn't have high standards. The religion part could probably be diminished and most everything would go on just fine.

But, whatever floats one's boat.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
No it is not. LoL. As long as you believe in something you are not an athesit.
Higher power, spirits whatever you call it.

Lol. My church, the Roman Catholic church has been around for almost two thousand years. Judaism some five thousand. Hinduism not much shorter. We will be ok

More and mote people in Europe reject typical American consumerism and self-centered, egoistic approach to life. More and more young people look for inspirition in religion seeing emptiness of existance without any spirituality. We will be ok
many americans have co-opted religon with a self centred egoistic approach to life , prosperous christianity is a very american phenomenon , ive said it before , from listening to american christians , one would think jesus had the same politics as ronald reagan

Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
As a research institution, I have no reason to think it doesn't have high standards. The religion part could probably be diminished and most everything would go on just fine.
Beg your pardon?
What exactly qualifies you as an expert on academia and scientific achievement?

The sole existence of highly respected scientific institution like Notre Dame under the auspice of a religious institution such as Catholic Church simply proves that there is no real conflict between religion and science. Otherwise Notre Dame (and other Catholic universities) would not exist.

Last edited by tristann; 04-22-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
many americans have co-opted religon with a self centred egoistic approach to life , prosperous christianity is a very american phenomenon , ive said it before , from listening to american christians , one would think jesus had the same politics as ronald reagan
Televangelists and shallow, in-your-face Christianity, sectarian divisions and snake handlers: On top of that omnipresent arrogance of bible-thumpers and born again Christians.
I call it drive-through Christianity or McChristianity. Sad.

Last edited by tristann; 04-22-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Beg your pardon?
What exactly qualifies you as an expert on academia and scientific achievement?

The sole existence of highly respected scientific institution like Notre Dame under the auspice of a religious institution such as Catholic Church simply proves that there is no real conflict between religion and science. Otherwise Notre Dame would not exist.
What about religions that uses rituals and such to somehow change a natural event, say a drought or an illness?

A good part of science is understanding the causes and effects on phenomena seen around the world. Science often offers solutions to problematic phenomena. In religion, dependence on these rituals oftentimes has very little to do with the phenomena at hand. Certain types of religious people are very easily convinced by statements involving their religion. These people would turn to their temples in times of need and their temples may offer inadequate solutions.

This is a serious conflict between science and religion. Religious people may deny scientific solutions in favor of solutions offered by their temples. They will accept unproven claims and believe in absurdities as something that will solve their problems when in fact it will do NOTHING! People who hold belief in a religion could be convinced of things that in certain circumstances are a threat to society!

The scientific method is a proven approach to the natural world; religion, not so much.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

This is a serious conflict between science and religion. Religious people may deny scientific solutions in favor of solutions offered by their temples. They will accept unproven claims and believe in absurdities as something that will solve their problems when in fact it will do NOTHING!
Ever heard of placebo effect?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I do not believe in religion or the underlying magic. It is mostly nonsense suitable for the weak minded and the gullible.
I trust science to provide a workable description of reality. That is all I require to live comfortably and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies