Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM

207 posts, read 549,183 times

Advertisements

'Congress shall make all law governing the land and naval forces.' Period!

End of argument. This district Judge has neither the scope or authority to make such a decision and nobody will enforce it. Art 125 UCMJ still declares Sodomy as a Courts Martial Offense. The UCMJ is the 'law' in the Armed Forces.

I put 20 years in the Navy... and the service is not about you... or your wants. The needs of the service come first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:14 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,362,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
I put 20 years in the Navy... and the service is not about you... or your wants. The needs of the service come first.
I agree with this and i think the Military itself should make these decisions not a Judge, there is nobody more qualified than the military to govern themselves in these matters. I do feel that if Homosexuals are going to be open in the military there will have to adress the living conditions.

Last edited by Roaddog; 10-14-2010 at 05:48 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 06:27 PM

152 posts, read 212,273 times
Lightbulb Re-Instate Draft

Looks like someone listened.
US urges delay in 'don't ask, don't tell' ruling
By PETE YOST and ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writers Pete Yost And Anne Flaherty, Associated Press Writers – 36 mins ago
US urges delay in 'don't ask, don't tell' ruling - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101014/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_gays_in_military - broken link)

Old 10-14-2010, 06:36 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,362,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Enterprise CV-6 View Post
Looks like someone listened.
US urges delay in 'don't ask, don't tell' ruling
By PETE YOST and ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writers Pete Yost And Anne Flaherty, Associated Press Writers – 36 mins ago
US urges delay in 'don't ask, don't tell' ruling - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101014/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_gays_in_military - broken link)
They stated some of my concerns on the news.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,235,907 times
From that link: The Pentagon said the military "will of course obey the law" and halt enforcement while the case is still in question.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The constitution is working as it should.

Let's review:

Executive: ENFORCE the law

Legislative: MAKE the law

Judicial: INTERPRET the law

The Supreme Court's DUTY is to decide whether the other two are engaging in unconstitutional acts, or are passing unconstitutional laws. It's called "checks and balances."
That is the pout this is not anyhting but a injunstion by one judge who has limited powers . The next step is that it will be taken to court to vacate the injunction.Thius is not a rulig on the constitutional really and iot would be upto the judge to enfroce his ruling. that is why the administrtion itself will take the injunction to court to vacate.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,755,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Actually, that's not true. There are some people in the gay community who think they deserve special treatment, or want different rules applied to them. (please note i did not say ALL I said SOME).

Any time someone wants special treatment, it's a problem.
There are people in EVERY community who think they (and they alone) deserve special treatment and want different rules applied to them. There's an elderly homeowner here in my condo complex who thinks, just because he's been here since the mid-70s when the complex first opened, he shouldn't have to follow the rules about parking or keeping his garage door closed or picking up his dog's mess in the park. During the time I worked in the tax office I ran into several people who thought my job was to fill out their tax return the way they wanted instead of the way the tax laws say it is to be filled out. And you're right - anytime someone doesn't want to follow the rules, it's a problem.
Thing is gays are not asking that new rules be instituted in the military to apply only to them. They see a rule that simply makes no sense in the grand scheme of things and want that rule eliminated so that NO ONE has to follow it any more. As it is, DADT seems to be a 'special rule' that applies only to gays.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
1. 2 never said anything about a shower.
2. DADT prevents people from getting discharged, and prevents violence, prejudice, bias and again, Kicked out of the military.

http://www.jackson.army.mil/SJA/Files/Adlaw/Homosexual%20Conduct%20Policy.PDF (broken link)
No, actually it doesn't. A gay soldier doesn't have to say anything to anyone about the fact that he's gay. All it takes is for another soldier or an officer to see him - even when he's on leave - kissing his partner or going into a gay bar. Even if he's in civvies on leave 100 miles or more away from base.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I'm sorry, but if gay people can't comply with the rules for 8-10 hrs a day then they shouldn't be in the military
8-10 hours a day? What, they're not in the service the other 14-16 hours of every day? I thought military service was 24/7/365.
Even when they are on leave, they are subject to recall at any moment.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 10-14-2010 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,710,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
8-10 hours a day? What, they're not in the service the other 14-16 hours of every day? I thought military service was 24/7/365.
Even when they are on leave, they are subject to recall at any moment.
yes, you are technically correct. But, in garrison (non deployed, non combat situations), the normal duty hours would apply. If the gay member lived on base then yes he would be more vulnerable. But his supervisors would probably be home and not hanging around the barracks looking for gays They have personal lives too, and unless someone was causing trouble then they should have no problems.
I have been in the military for 20 years, and I have not seen any of the witch hunts that people talk about. The DADT policy gives people the freedom to think whatever they want (nobody can restrict a persons thoughts anyway) In most cases, a gay serviceman would have to ACT gay in order to face punishment.
*It is VERY RARE that someone would be recalled while on leave.*

so basically, it is the gay members conduct that causes him to get in trouble (in 90% of the cases)

People love to defend gays by saying that it is something that they are born with, or something that they can't control. Well, how you conduct yourself is something that everyone should control. Military members are asked to adhere to a stricter code of conduct than ordinary citizens. When a serviceman vilolates this policy then they get punished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies