Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times

Advertisements

Is this really true? The other day there was a thread that I can't find about what NYC has done to keep several thousand military people from voting this time around. They didn't send out their ballots as the law requires and today the DOJ has begun a case against them for their behavior. There is a chance that the final vote tallies for New York will be held up since they will have to wait for those votes.

I wonder what "old enough to fight, old enough to drink" means when I see this happening to many soldiers, sailors and Marines who can drink at 18 in some places and can enlist at that age but aren't allowed to vote since they may well vote Republican. The law says that people are old enough to vote at 18 but New York State doesn't want to go along with that if the individuals are involved in military activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
I'm sure you meant to link to a source for this thread.

Mayor Bloomberg Slams Board of Elections for Failure to Mail Military Ballots - FoxNews.com

Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM

And the problem isn't just New York counties. Evidently there are Kansas counties that similarly failed.

Seven Kansas counties miss U.S. deadline for mailing troop ballots

Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is this really true? The other day there was a thread that I can't find about what NYC has done to keep several thousand military people from voting this time around. They didn't send out their ballots as the law requires and today the DOJ has begun a case against them for their behavior. There is a chance that the final vote tallies for New York will be held up since they will have to wait for those votes.

I wonder what "old enough to fight, old enough to drink" means when I see this happening to many soldiers, sailors and Marines who can drink at 18 in some places and can enlist at that age but aren't allowed to vote since they may well vote Republican. The law says that people are old enough to vote at 18 but New York State doesn't want to go along with that if the individuals are involved in military activities.
Maybe this is what you are referring to?

"The legal action would mark the most aggressive federal intervention yet amid an ongoing debate over how to enforce compliance with the 2009 Military and Overseas Voters Empowerment Act, known as the MOVE Act. The Department of Justice is expected to intervene in several New York counties that missed deadlines intended to ensure that overseas ballots are sent, received and counted on time."

EXCLUSIVE: Feds to Sue New York Board Over Military Voting Violations, State Official Says - FoxNews.com

NYC didn't have anything to do with this - they are one of the counties missing their service peoples' ballots.

And for those who are wondering, here is the description of the MOVE Act that was signed into law by President Obama last year:
MOVE Act Assures Less Military Vote Disenfranchisement « The Enterprise Blog

Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Thanks. That is just where I heard this story, also.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
And the problem isn't just New York counties. Evidently there are Kansas counties that similarly failed.

Seven Kansas counties miss U.S. deadline for mailing troop ballots
At least those Kansas counties seemed to have an excuse, poor as they were, and only 81 people were shorted out. Compared to the 50,000 in NYC that seems a bit paltry.

I would not defend anybody for not getting it done, but I will say that 81 votes in Kansas won't make much difference since we are a very red state and I believe that in some states the ballots weren't sent because of fear of Republican votes.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
At least those Kansas counties seemed to have an excuse, poor as they were, and only 81 people were shorted out. Compared to the 50,000 in NYC that seems a bit paltry.

I would not defend anybody for not getting it done, but I will say that 81 votes in Kansas won't make much difference since we are a very red state and I believe that in some states the ballots weren't sent because of fear of Republican votes.
According to the FOX link I posted, they weren't sent because the ballots are not final and won't be until Oct. 12.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:

I personally agree with Bloomberg. It's indefensible that the State Board of Elections failed to address the problems of getting these ballots out in a timely fashion.

I understand that money is just as much an issue in New York as it is in Kansas, and that there may be issues and races up for a vote that are awaiting some legal resolution before the ballots can be printed. However, the State Board of Elections was surely aware of the challenges it faced, and should have taken steps to assure that the military and other citizens abroad were availed of every opportunity to participate in the voting process.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
I personally agree with Bloomberg. It's indefensible that the State Board of Elections failed to address the problems of getting these ballots out in a timely fashion.

I understand that money is just as much an issue in New York as it is in Kansas, and that there may be issues and races up for a vote that are awaiting some legal resolution before the ballots can be printed. However, the State Board of Elections was surely aware of the challenges it faced, and should have taken steps to assure that the military and other citizens abroad were availed of every opportunity to participate in the voting process.
The ballot deadlines in NY go into early October, and sometimes changes are made at the last minute. For example Carl Paladino won the GOP nomination for Gov over Rick Lazio, Paladino was not on the Conservative ballot in the Primary, and Lazio win the Conservative Primary line. Two weeks ago Lazio dropped out of the Governor's race, and took a Conservative line elsewhere in the state (a Judgeship in the Bronx) in order for Paladino to get his name on the ballot on the Conservative line. No way could have those changes been made in a couple of days.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Seriously, the entire premise of the OP's title and post are off-base. No NY counties have violated the law - several NY counties are still waiting for their ballots, it is the state board of elections that has violated the law.
And, they certainly didn't do it to purposely deprive military personnel of their right to vote. Just had to say it.

Of course we could talk about why there is even a law in place now, but, the OP probably doesn't want to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies