Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,114,664 times

Advertisements

I've never understood why when gays ask for civil marriage, people start talking about religious marriage.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:40 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,266,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
WOW, another gay marriage thread...
Yup, and if you don't want to participate, you don't have to. Obviously you have strong opinions just like the rest of us. Get used to it. It's not going away!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:43 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,266,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I've never understood why when gays ask for civil marriage, people start talking about religious marriage.
I always wondered about that to. Any idiot knows the JP does not require a priest/minister/rabbi at the ceremony. You would think they would realize that by now. I guess stupid is what stupid does.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:46 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Why do you single out Christians as though only Christians feel that way ? Most religions dont allow Gay marriage, and Christians are tame compared to Islam. Islam = stoned to death for being gay...Vs Christians mumbling how they disagree with it but will live with it if approved. Oh the horror of those Christians [haha]. Jewish leadership does not allow it either. Israel has no gay marriages. So really you have either have a problem with Religion in general or just hate Christians since you ignore how other religions are on the same page when it comes to gay marriage.

Religion in general was not addressed by the OP. Islam wasn't mentioned either. Obviously the real issue for this person is Christianity.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:47 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
WOW, another gay marriage thread...
They won't get out of our face. Agitate, agitate, agitate...I recommend that since gay activists are obviously starting inflammatory threads in every possible forum in order to get noticed that they be ignored. Stop responding to them.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:48 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,477,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
So stop trying to claim it as your own and use that argument to argue why gay people should not be allowed to marry!

Marriage has been around a lot longer than Christianity! It isn't yours to control!

(I get so frustrated every time I hear Christian leaders talking about the "institution of marriage." You're defining the Christian idea of marriage. But it's not your institution to be the sole decision-makers of!)
Christians are just like anybody else: They cheat, get divorced, have abortions, judge others, use drugs etc. The only difference is that they claim to have the market cornered on "morality" which aside from being stupid, I find offensive.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:09 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,690,714 times
Quote:
So stop trying to claim it as your own and use that argument to argue why gay people should not be allowed to marry!

Marriage has been around a lot longer than Christianity! It isn't yours to control!

(I get so frustrated every time I hear Christian leaders talking about the "institution of marriage." You're defining the Christian idea of marriage. But it's not your institution to be the sole decision-makers of!)

Christianity is not the only religion. In roman tymes, with mythical gods, there was marriage.

Name the religion that is focused around and accepts the gay life?
Marriage is a religious ceremony, nothing else.

A Union between two individuals has been around since the caveman.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
Well, the philosophy of buddhism doesn't care about one's sexual orientation.

The way I look at marriage is that it's strictly secular; when you get divorced, you do it through the state, not the church.

I think it would be better if the US adopted the traditions of many countries. The civil ceremony is the one that counts; you go to the town hall and get married.
If you want a religious ceremony, it is completely separate and the marriage is not legal unless performed by the state.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Quote:
Says who?

And what power do you think made those decisions? Religious powers. Marriage does NOT have to be associated with religion. That's my whole point.

People say that gay people should be happy with civil unions while reserving "marriage" for one man and one woman. I say call it whatever you want as long as the rights are equal. They're not.

But again, marriage is NOT owned by Christianity so Christians have no right to say that gay people can't use the term "marriage."
Last I checked we still had a First Amendement in this country that allowed Christians to voice their opinion just as freely as anyone else. You don't have to like it but it does show they hypocrisy of the gay marriage advocates trying to get special rights as a special interest group while attempting to quell the rights of others in society. Homosexuals can currently marry, just not someone of the same gender. In that way everyone is equal in regard to marriage.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,363,371 times
Default Hey Christians! You didn't invent marriage!

Quote:

Maybe they didn't but i can be pretty sure neither did a Homosexual LOL

Why are you tolerant Homosexuals so affraid of Christians? You all seem to be obesessed with them, are you all Christophobic? I'm thinking so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies