Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I don't know that an apology request from a wife who has been publically humiliated falls into the "weird" category. Women never forget and rarely let go of this kind of humiliation. Perhaps she really thought that after nearly 20 years they could speak as adults and Mrs. Thomas could get closure. Guess Anita wasn't willing to give her that.

Hill didn't bother to call the FBI when she claims she was being sexually harrassed, only upon questioning when it became evident that Thomas might become a SCOTUS appointee. I'd think the sexual arrassment would call for more immediate contacting of authorites than a voicemail asking for an apology.

Just sayin.............
Women do not call the FBI when they are being sexually harassed they either contact their HR dept (which wouldn't have helped Anita Hill since her perpetrator actually was the boss) or they contact the local authorities if a sexual assault/rape has occured. And in today's world they call Gloria Allred and sue the heck out of the perp and the company.

Virgina Thomas is the one holding a 20 year old grudge and is obviously the one with "issues" and needs to be on meds. Anita Hill spoke the truth and has moved on with her life; the last thing Anita Hill needs is that crazy b-tch Virginia Thomas stalking and harassing her like Clarence Thomas did over 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
I don't know that an apology request from a wife who has been publically humiliated""""

CLARENCE humiliated his wife, NOT Hill!

falls into the "weird" category.""

YES, it was OVER years ago!...only a very insecure mentally troubled nutjob or a teabagger with a POLITICAL agenda...would even bring it up!

"""Women never forget and rarely let go of this kind of humiliation.""

What a disgusting and erroneous statement! SPEAK FOR YOURSELF! Contrary to what teabags and Repubs want you to believe ALL women are NOT the same..GOOD GAWD! WHAT century do you live in!!

""Perhaps she really thought that after nearly 20 years they could speak as adults and Mrs. Thomas could get closure. Guess Anita wasn't willing to give her that.""

This is NOT HILL'S PROBLEM! QUIT BLAMING THE VICTIM WHILE ignoring your God , the MAN who CAUSED the problem

""""Hill didn't bother to call the FBI when she claims she was being sexually harrassed, only upon questioning when it became evident that Thomas might become a SCOTUS appointee. I'd think the sexual arrassment would call for more immediate contacting of authorites than a voicemail asking for an apology.

Just sayin.............
The most sexist post I've read yet!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
I don't know that an apology request from a wife who has been publically humiliated falls into the "weird" category. Women never forget and rarely let go of this kind of humiliation. Perhaps she really thought that after nearly 20 years they could speak as adults and Mrs. Thomas could get closure. Guess Anita wasn't willing to give her that.

Hill didn't bother to call the FBI when she claims she was being sexually harrassed, only upon questioning when it became evident that Thomas might become a SCOTUS appointee. I'd think the sexual arrassment would call for more immediate contacting of authorites than a voicemail asking for an apology.

Just sayin.............

You clearly have never experienced being a woman in a higher power field if you think it's so easy as to just run to HR or the authorities. The legal field in the 70s, 80s, and even up to today in many firms was a dangerous place for a woman. One of my favorite professors who was my advisor for an internship always gave a sexual harassment talk before sending her students into the field, talking about what she faced in a top Boston law firm as one of the few female Harvard Law grads in the 70s. You didn't report it if you ever wanted to work again- and no one would have believed you anyway. Hill risked her entire career to answer the subpoena. I was lucky to attend classes with Hill and now am one of her colleagues. She is NOT lying and has had a life away from the spotlight since her testimony.

Thomas's whackjob wife accused Hill of lying on the stand- a crime. If that's not harassing the victim, I don't know what is.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:43 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe Coca-Cola put her up to it--you know, to revive that whole pubic-hair-on-a-Pepsi-can image.

Oops, I had the brands switched. It was Coke can in the first place.

But that's one of the reasons I think Ms. Hill's story stands. The pubic-hair-on-a-soda-can story is too stupid to be a lie. If you were making something up to disparage someone with charges of sexual harrassment, it would be easy to come up with a better tale than that.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

Just sayin.............
There's nothing "adult" about making a phone call at a time when you are guaranteed not to have the person you are calling answer the phone, and if you do call and get voicemail, an adult doesn't leave a message like that. This is a teenager's m.o.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
You just have to wonder what in the world she was thinking, and what her husband said when he found out about the call. I'd be willing to bet the stoic judge got a little animated.
I've always thought Anita Hill was blowing a small incident way out of proportion. She seems kind of prissy.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You just have to wonder what in the world she was thinking, and what her husband said when he found out about the call. I'd be willing to bet the stoic judge got a little animated.
I've always thought Anita Hill was blowing a small incident way out of proportion. She seems kind of prissy.
She stated under oath that she was sexually harrassed.....THAT is NOT a "small incident"....

But if someone calls women who report sexual harrassment "prissy", if sexual harrassment is looked at as a "small incident" it sure aids predatory men in their nasty habits....

Nothing like quietly keeping women "in line".

Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It amazes me sometimes how people can post things with a straight face. The only giveaway is often some egregious misspelling.
Yes, I am spelling challenged but I probably know more about the way the government checks on people than you do unless your family member was top secret like my son was and was checked on just the way Thomas was. When the secret service comes asking questions, one should tell the truth and that is what Anita Hill did causing her to end up before a congressional committee. She did not put forth any information until she was asked.

In other words, she was not looking out for herself, she was looking out for the good of the people of America. My question is, why did congress not look out for the good of the people of America too? Actually that is what the tea party is all about. We want some people in office that are more interested in doing what is right than they are in playing politics.

Last edited by NCN; 10-21-2010 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:

Just sayin.............
If she really wanted to speak as adults, perhaps she should have called Anita Hill during office hours, not in the early morning hours on a weekend.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Women do not call the FBI when they are being sexually harassed they either contact their HR dept (which wouldn't have helped Anita Hill since her perpetrator actually was the boss) or they contact the local authorities if a sexual assault/rape has occured. And in today's world they call Gloria Allred and sue the heck out of the perp and the company.

Virgina Thomas is the one holding a 20 year old grudge and is obviously the one with "issues" and needs to be on meds. Anita Hill spoke the truth and has moved on with her life; the last thing Anita Hill needs is that crazy b-tch Virginia Thomas stalking and harassing her like Clarence Thomas did over 20 years ago.
We don't know that Anita Hill spoke the truth. The whole thing is still speculation. Thomas was not found guilty of wrong doing or of sexual harrassment.

When the whole thing came out originally I was, as most women I think, disgusted and willing to pronounce Thomas guilty upon the accusations alone. However, as the years have passed, as more has come out, I am not so certain that this was anything more than a political ploy by Hill. There is room for reasonable doubt to exist.

The reality of the situation is that there are only two people that really know what, if anything, happened. They have conflicting stories so it is nothing more than "she said/he said" until proven otherwise with concrete evidence rather than speculation and choosing of sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies