Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,717 times

Advertisements

Up to one billion U.S. dollars ends up in the hands of the Taliban! Unbelievable! Time to stop the madness and get out?

FoxNews.com - Up to $1 Billion in U.S. Aid Winds Up In Taliban Coffers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
Where is the pressure from liberals to have the Democrats who now have had 2 years in control of the Presidency, the House and the Senate, get us out of this senseless war? If the Republicans are the war-mongers, why did Obama have to start his own personal war?

The majority of the 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia--so we invade and Iraq and Afghanistan. Brilliant.

Thanks to our government, the terrorists have a constant influx of huge amounts of America taxpayers dollars. It would be a lot harder for them to steal money if we weren't there, throwing around hundreds of billions of dollars confiscated from people who work for a living, like me.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
That's one area I wish the democrats would follow their own self-proclaimed principles and get us out of there ASAP.

What happened to all the anti-war protesters? They seem to have gone silent over the past 20 months.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Where is the pressure from liberals to have the Democrats who now have had 2 years in control of the Presidency, the House and the Senate, get us out of this senseless war? If the Republicans are the war-mongers, why did Obama have to start his own personal war?

The majority of the 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia--so we invade and Iraq and Afghanistan. Brilliant.

Thanks to our government, the terrorists have a constant influx of huge amounts of America taxpayers dollars. It would be a lot harder for them to steal money if we weren't there, throwing around hundreds of billions of dollars confiscated from people who work for a living, like me.
Obama started his own "personal war?" Here we go again with people saying things that even they don't believe.

In any case, i don't know why the OP would think that this would create any outrage. No..quite the opposite. Americans don't care about a billion dollars going to the Taliban.

Now if that same billion went into some social program that benefitted some poor American somewhere...THAT could get you some serious anger going on around here!!!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Obama started his own "personal war?" Here we go again with people saying things that even they don't believe.

In any case, i don't know why the OP would think that this would create any outrage. No..quite the opposite. Americans don't care about a billion dollars going to the Taliban.

Now if that same billion went into some social program that benefitted some poor American somewhere...THAT could get you some serious anger going on around here!!!
Yes and no, actually I believe it is the CIA who now has its own 3000 man tribal army in Pakistan.

NPR Confirms 3,000 Man CIA Army Conducts Operations In Pakistan
NPR Confirms 3,000 Man CIA Army Conducts Operations In Pakistan : The Two-Way : NPR
Quote:
The CIA created, controls and pays for a clandestine 3,000-man paramilitary army of local Afghans, known as Counterterrorism Pursuit Teams. Woodward describes these teams as elite, well-trained units that conduct highly sensitive covert operations into Pakistan as part of a stepped-up campaign against al-Qaeda and Afghan Taliban havens there. (emphasis added)
You are right about one thing though, Americans for the most part no longer care, after all they have no personal stake or reason to care. Only .5% of Americans are serving and far less than that on the front, the other 99.5% that don't have families there, mostly just ignore it.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
When Bush/Rumsfeld et al decided to "go to war with the army you've got" and subcontract out our big base security, maintenance, food service and transportation to their corporate buddies, who could've guessed that the end result of it would be corruption?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
When Bush/Rumsfeld et al decided to "go to war with the army you've got" and subcontract out our big base security, maintenance, food service and transportation to their corporate buddies, who could've guessed that the end result of it would be corruption?
I am going to have to say that I don't think you heard Obama take over the Afghanistan thing before he was anointed that grand day in January 2009. He took that war as his because he was sure he could stop it very soon with all his considerable debating power. Well it is his and he started a surge with Obama rules of combat in order but it hasn't worked very well, has it?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Yes and no, actually I believe it is the CIA who now has its own 3000 man tribal army in Pakistan.

NPR Confirms 3,000 Man CIA Army Conducts Operations In Pakistan
NPR Confirms 3,000 Man CIA Army Conducts Operations In Pakistan : The Two-Way : NPR

You are right about one thing though, Americans for the most part no longer care, after all they have no personal stake or reason to care. Only .5% of Americans are serving and far less than that on the front, the other 99.5% that don't have families there, mostly just ignore it.
My foster daughter from 1980 through 1982 is there till at least January and I do think that since she has a combat job she is in jeopardy most of the time. Of course, she is nearly old enough to miss out on all the goodies of the Obama believers so who cares. She is 47 now and this is her second hitch in the Middle East. She served in Kuwait for two solid years because taking the second successive year would assure not having to go back. I guess the Kansas National Guard people don't always tell the truth.

She went back one year after TheWon was anointed so I guess maybe his taking over the war was what forced her back.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am going to have to say that I don't think you heard Obama take over the Afghanistan thing before he was anointed that grand day in January 2009. He took that war as his because he was sure he could stop it very soon with all his considerable debating power. Well it is his and he started a surge with Obama rules of combat in order but it hasn't worked very well, has it?
Never once heard him say that he could stop it with debating power. Those are your words, not his. I've never even heard him attempt to convince anyone that he thought that he could stop the war short of pulling out troops. If you've heard him say anything different, produce it please.

And "Obama rules of Combat?" Uh...what are those specifically?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Never once heard him say that he could stop it with debating power. Those are your words, not his. I've never even heard him attempt to convince anyone that he thought that he could stop the war short of pulling out troops. If you've heard him say anything different, produce it please.

And "Obama rules of Combat?" Uh...what are those specifically?
Here we go with another link from a far left source. I think it may have been printed first in "The Nation" and that is a bit farther left than Alternet but not much. At least this lefty is trying to tell us why Obama escalated that war and what he hoped to get from it. I have never heard anyone from the right attack him this hard though. Have you?

The Real Reason Obama Is Escalating In Afghanistan | World | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/blogs/world/144421/the_real_reason_obama_is_escalating_in_afghanistan/ - broken link)

Obama's rules of combat call for our troops to never shoot until shot at. That puts them at a severe disadvantage, I think. When the other guy has to shoot first sometimes he will connect first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies