Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure you are also paying more for a provision in Obamacare that requires that the insurance companies pay out on a higher percentage of claims made. I'm not sure if that one made it to the final bill.

How many people here were married and maybe had a kid of their own by the time they were 26? How many people lived with roommates if they couldn't afford rent, food and insurance? Maybe they didn't live in such a swell place or lived paycheck to paycheck. I know when I was 26 I was working full time, married, struggling to pay bills, driving a piece of junk car and putting myself through college at night. But I was paying for my own insurance.

No wonder a lot of them think it's okay for the government to take care of them. Some of them are still living with mommy and daddy until they're 30.

Last edited by LauraC; 10-27-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Apparently you aren't including any of the unfunded state mandates. Keep telling yourself how this law is designed to make money when your state taxes skyrocket to cover all the new medicaid enrollees that are not paid for by the feds.
Yes, unfunded mandates another name for the federal government making your governor the bad guy who will have to raise your taxes.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:58 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do not call me a liar. There are plenty of us HCPs on this forum who are supportive of health care reform. I did not say the entire bill was good, and no one is talking about reducing costs in this thread.

Your individual premium will stay the same. The person who insures his/her 25 year old will probably see a rise.
What is it that you do. And a lot of people are talking about HC costs. Because if costs go up, affordability goes down and the bill is self-destructive.

Again, your not understanding how insurance works. Explain how group costs going up is not going to effect everyone.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Nearly everyone's premiums are already going up. While you might not be lying you are misinformed in your posting. Sounds like a regurgitation of Obama's claims. Maybe you should read someone elses premium notices besides your own if you need proof of rising premiums. It has been all over the news for months!
Health Ins premiums have been rapidly increasing for decades. What in the world would make you think they would all of a sudden stop? With the HC Law, they won't even slow down until 2014 or 2015. No one in the Administration has told you otherwise. Even then, the premiums will rise, not as fast, but rise. However, the amount an individual has to pay on the premium will be lower for those earning under $88k, due to Federal assistance.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Most companies will now allow you to cover the deadbeat (I mean darling) kid living at home with you until he is 26, and no - he don't have to be going to school!!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Government is promoting dependency of young adults by legislating that they can stay on their parents insurance to age 26. There is no other way to spin that one. Any young adult can go out and self-insure if they so choose, especially now that the "pre-existing condition" rejection has been eliminated. I was self insured immediately following high school graduation and I have been responsible to make certain I stayed insured ever since be it through college and through employment changes and when unemployed. Catastrophic high deductible insurance is available to most.
Any young adult who has insurance available can use it. This is for those who do not have another source, for ex. YAs working crappy part time jobs that will schedule them just under the limit for benefits. Yes, it happens, I know of several cases. It's also for those YAs who get a job and have to wait 3-6 months to be covered. That happened to my daughter.

Good for you. Not everyone has exactly the same circumstances, something a lot of RWs find impossible to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
What is it that you do. And a lot of people are talking about HC costs. Because if costs go up, affordability goes down and the bill is self-destructive.

Again, your not understanding how insurance works. Explain how group costs going up is not going to effect everyone.
I'm a registered nurse and I have to deal with insurance companies on a daily basis. I'm quite familiar with their regulations to avoid paying for services.

"A lot of people are talking about health care costs" is a credible source of information? Yes, a lot talk on this forum, and many don't have a clue. These YAs are pretty cheap to insure, and the employee is going to bear the cost, unless the employer is paying the total premium, which is pretty unusual these days. Many employers only pay a portion of the premium for the employee; the employee pays for all his/her dependents.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,147,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Most companies will now allow you to cover the deadbeat (I mean darling) kid living at home with you until he is 26, and no - he don't have to be going to school!!
That's because the parents of these lazy bums have allowed themselves to become "Enablers", so they should have to pay out more money than the rest of us. All these kids today want to do is party, get tattoos, but expensive new phones and game boys, instead of going out working and getting their own place.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
That's because the parents of these lazy bums have allowed themselves to become "Enablers", so they should have to pay out more money than the rest of us. All these kids today want to do is party, get tattoos, but expensive new phones and game boys, instead of going out working and getting their own place.
"party, get tattoos, but expensive new phones and game boys, instead of going out working and getting their own place"? - sounds like you are jealous. The 'enabler' part may have some truth to it, however, if you were a parent with kids living with you because they can't find a job, then one goes down with a serious condition, what would you do if he/she wasn't covered?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Why do you assume that these "kids" would be living at home, not working?! All of you do, in every thread on this subject. Why.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Why do you assume that these "kids" would be living at home, not working?! All of you do, in every thread on this subject. Why.
I guess the assumption is that kids over 22 and under 26 are not employed, which may or may not be true. Maybe the kid is helping the parents pay the rent so they don't go into foreclosure. In any event, the extended medical will help and I think it's a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies