Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I'm always somewhere between irked and amused at conservatives. A few million dollars to run a company into the ground and fire workers is defended with the fire of a thousand suns. A reasonable salary for effective public servants is derided as an evil waste of money.
Public servants work for we the taxpayers. A private company answers to its shareholders, they can do whatever they deem is necessary, just as we can in what pay, benefits, and what results we expect from our public servants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its a corrupted system , well then again both the republican and Democratic system in this state is.....Christie is weak.....
I wouldn't call him weak. It takes a powerful person to take on the more powerful unions. And, it looks to me like he's winning..

Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
This is lower than the national average and far lower than New Jersey. More than 80% of all high school students in NJ graduate with a high school diploma in four years:.....

You get what you pay for. NJ teachers get results. Do they deserve huge pay raises? Probably not. But you can't argue with the effectiveness of the NJ educational system.

NJ has some of the most affluent middle, upper middle and upper class areas in the country.

Families in areas like that place a high emphasis on education whether you're talking TX, NJ, CA or AL for that matter.

If you look at the schools in our inner citites, they are some of the most expensive in the nation with poor results.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This embodies everything we've come to know and love about the unions. Giving the shaft to the kids, the taxpayer and the education system. As long as they get "theirs", screw everybody else.

Gateway Pundit (http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2010/10/njea-union-teachers-call-black-kids-n-say-they-want-to-f-with-kids-video/ - broken link)

Christie's reaction.

JammieWearingFool

Videos of NJEA conference are authentic, James O'Keefe spokesman says | NJ.com
Thanks, Sanrene.

I live in NJ and I'm making sure these videos get distributed far and wide.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:59 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
You're welcome.

Christie weak?

N.J. Democrats in crisis mode after failing to dilute Christie's cap on public worker raises | NJ.com

N.J. Democrats in crisis mode after failing to dilute Christie's cap on public worker raises

Quote:
New Jersey’s Democratic leaders were in crisis today after the Republican governor pummeled them again in the Legislature, where they have a decided advantage.
Democrat intra-party war in NJ - thanks to Christie.

Last edited by sanrene; 10-26-2010 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
I would not be proud of Texas educational policies.

A mere 65% of all high school students in Texas graduate with a diploma in four years:

http://www.all4ed.org/files/Texas_wc.pdf

This is lower than the national average and far lower than New Jersey. More than 80% of all high school students in NJ graduate with a high school diploma in four years:

http://www.all4ed.org/files/NewJersey_wc.pdf

You get what you pay for. NJ teachers get results. Do they deserve huge pay raises? Probably not. But you can't argue with the effectiveness of the NJ educational system.

The national four year high school graduation rate is only 69%:

http://www.all4ed.org/files/National_wc.pdf

New Jersey teachers earn about $63k per year.

N.J. teacher salaries debate continues amid Gov. Christie's school aid cuts | NJ.com

This compares favorably with the median national income for those holding a bachelor's degree of roughly $55k especially given NJ's high cost of living:

Changing Higher Education: College real return on investment continues to fall

I'm always somewhere between irked and amused at conservatives. A few million dollars to run a company into the ground and fire workers is defended with the fire of a thousand suns. A reasonable salary for effective public servants is derided as an evil waste of money.
Nailed it! For some strange reason these people, who are almost always middle to lower class, identify (against their own best interests) with the ruling class. Right-wing media billionaires and corporate elites with their astroturf front groups have managed to hoodwink millions of people into passionately supporting their plutocratic goal of ushering in a new age of feudalism -both hilarious and tragic.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
I would not be proud of Texas educational policies.

A mere 65% of all high school students in Texas graduate with a diploma in four years:
Remove Cameron and Hidalgo counties and it shoots up.
Those 2 counties have the highest percentage of poor in all of the US.

You are not comparing apples to apples when you compare a border state to a NE state.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:37 AM

The teacher that states how hard is is to get fired, Alissa Ploshnick, has a salary of $99,983 per year. Plus a benefit and pension package most of you will never see.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:38 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
It was funny. My fiancee is very sensitive when it comes to education. She was wondering why I would believe a politician, Chris Christie. I responded that she was conned into Obama in 2008. Full disclosure: She's a recovering Obama supporter like many in the country and looking back she would've either not voted or voted McCain (and she's a utopian minded liberal). Next word out of her mouth: "touche!".

Personally, I believe Chris Christie because he doesn't try to sell people a unicorn laden post-racial utopia. He sells them sobering reality.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I wouldn't call him weak. It takes a powerful person to take on the more powerful unions. And, it looks to me like he's winning..
Well where is he now , oh wait hes helping his friends not the residents of NJ. Tell him to get back to our state and fix the issues. There are bigger problems then the Unions and most ppl know that. Corruption tops everything , but he hasn't targeted that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies