Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Why not read the newspaper where people actually put time and thought and research into what they report?
By the time the paper gets here, it is OLD news.

Cable news is up to date and refreshed frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
A wide range of sources is best if you want to be well-informed. Cable news is a fine source, but it shouldn't be a person's only source. Nobody should have only one source. Also, getting "the news" is beside the point for some people who are poorly educated--who've never studied philosophy, history or politics in an organized, scholarly way. The information we get from news is only useful if we can integrate it with things we already understand.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
Why not read the newspaper where people actually put time and thought and research into what they report?
And why do they have to be mutually exclusive? I got my morning paper, read it...and there's news happening right now. Local stations don't have the news until later, so I'll watch cable.

Not sure why you think it has to be either-or.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM

301 posts, read 403,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
By the time the paper gets here, it is OLD news.

Cable news is up to date and refreshed frequently.
nytimes.com

Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 PM

301 posts, read 403,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
And why do they have to be mutually exclusive? I got my morning paper, read it...and there's news happening right now. Local stations don't have the news until later, so I'll watch cable.

Not sure why you think it has to be either-or.
A variety of news sources including cable is great. My problems is mostly with people who's sole/main news source is cable. Cable only covers the hot topics and of the hot topics only covers the main points. In depth doesn't exist. Big flashy graphics and huge sets do.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I usually just watch CSPAN for cable as it's the only true unbiased station, and the Maddow show as she's the only "talking head" that speaks with intelligence and great reporting on the issues. I'll occasionally turn on Beck when I'm in the mood for comedy.
CSPAN is the best source for news about the happenings in our government. I used to watch it but I haven't in years (I didn't have tv subscription for a couple of years).
For those who think CSPAN is dreadfully boring here's how you do it. Turn it on in the background while you're doing something else. It will just be a drone for awhile but, after a half hour or so, you will actually start to get in to it once you start to recognize the players (congressmen and senators).
My favorite was sen patrick moynihan. I didn't agree with his positions on the issues, he was a Democrate afterall, but for entertainment he was priceless. I miss him.

Quote:
nytimes.com
You are not going to have much credibility talking about 'talking heads' and bias when you then point ot the single most biased source of "news" on the planet. At least the ultra-left MSNBC admits they are left. The NYTimes tries to make people think they are unbiased. lol

Old 10-27-2010, 02:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
You are not going to have much credibility talking about 'talking heads' and bias when you then point ot the single most biased source of "news" on the planet. At least the ultra-left MSNBC admits they are left. The NYTimes tries to make people think they are unbiased. lol
She also listed the Washington Post as a news source. That's the Ezra Klein JournoList paper of source, the group that conspired to control the narrative for a recent Presidential election.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
You are not going to have much credibility talking about 'talking heads' and bias when you then point ot the single most biased source of "news" on the planet.
Fox is the most bias "news" source on the planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
At least the ultra-left MSNBC admits they are left. The NYTimes tries to make people think they are unbiased. lol
MSNBC isn't ultra left, it's center/left.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
nytimes.com
Doesn't cover much local. Also, if one has difficulty reading, news outlets with speech are much easier.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
nytimes.com
the new york slimes? i would rather read the washington post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies