Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times

Advertisements

One man's ceiling is another man's floor. Define "rich"... Who is "Rich?" A person who owns an 1,100 square foot home with modest furnishings and drives a 1998 car is "rich" to someone who is homeless or living in a tiny home with 14 of his closest relatives. Yet that person is perceived as "poor" by his friends who live in 3,000 square foot homes and drive two SUV's. Yet all are considered poor by the Washington Politicians and the tiny tiny class of uber rich on the planet.

The myth that the "Bush Tax Cuts" were only for the rich is refuted by Snopes. The email going around about it originally didn't figure the numbers correctly, so you have to scroll down to the bottom to see the Tax Foundation's real numbers.

One of the problems with saying people "don't pay taxes" is you don't know what else they are doing. Did they make huge donations to charities? Did they reinvest and create new jobs? Did they make upgrades to machinery or the plant? Have they created profit sharing or pensions for their employees? Have they deferred some income into next year? Prepaid taxes one year and showed lower taxes the next? You don't know. And it's silly to try and make a blanket statement.

Now - are there people not paying taxes? Yes. And not all of them are rich. It just can't be generalized.

That being said - according to the Nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office as reported on FactCheck.org (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/what_percent_of_taxes_does_the_top.html - broken link): the top 1 percent [of Income earners] paid 27.6 percent of all federal taxes. Read the rest for all the data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:53 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This from someone who doesn't understand that 70% of businesses in american file income as household income...

An interesting fact is that more than 70 percent of the businesses in the United States are sole proprietorships. However, they only generate about 20 percent of the profit in the U.S

Income Taxes - Types of Business Organizations

Note the difference, again between GROSS and NET i.e. PROFITS...

That means that business income = household income

That statistic doesn't make any sense. About.com is an opinion site. I would use the actual stats from the Census bureau. It is far more complicated than that. And as one who started out as a Sole Proprietor and still had as many as 10 employees at one time, I can tell you it is still a business. I quickly changed to an LLC, but depending on the form of the business, you can choose how you file when you are an LLC. I then moved to a Sub S Corp
Statistics about Business Size from the Census Bureau

Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 PM

69 posts, read 34,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I didn't make them up. The prevalent attitude towards people that work in sales are there for a reason--it's because sales people really are smarmy good for nothings out to MAKE--not EARN--a buck. P.T. Barnum, for instance, would have made an awesome salesperson.
As I have already observed - stellar stupidity on display for all to see, courtesy of TKramer, aka "no one special" by his or her own description.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
It is stupid because you don't agree with it? Hey, don't blame me, blame society for the way salespeople are viewed as hucksters and scam artists.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
It is stupid because you don't agree with it? Hey, don't blame me, blame society for the way salespeople are viewed as hucksters and scam artists.
I see you are backing off. Now it's just "the way salespeople are viewed". To be honest, I don't get the feeling you know much about society, except as a word you type in your diatribe. What happened, success pass you by. Failure your constant companion.

Why don't you do this. Give success one more try - give it your all. You can do it if you want. Then you won't be pissed off at all of societies winners, 'cause you will be one to.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 PM

And they are viewed that way because it's true!

I'm more successful than you'll ever be...because I'm not out there chasing after some brass ring. I'm perfectly content where I am.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
And they are viewed that way because it's true!

I'm more successful than you'll ever be...because I'm not out there chasing after some brass ring. I'm perfectly content where I am.
Yah, sure. As I observed in another thread - such delusion is rarely seen outside of rubber rooms and jail cells where everyone claims to be either sane or innocent, but none are.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:30 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This from someone who doesn't understand that 70% of businesses in american file income as household income...
That high? Admittedly, that surprises me. I used to do business like that, only dropped the business license a couple of months ago. Of course, if I'd been making money in the high 5% of the income scale, I'd not be filing as sole proprietor. (My skills do not work well for a one-man operation. While we didn't starve, we surely didn't get anywhere near my current tax bracket.)

Quote:
Note the difference, again between GROSS and NET i.e. PROFITS...

That means that business income = household income
You seem to hammer a bit on that point. Surely you do not mean to imply that people file their business' gross income on their taxes? Because that would be rather dumb. If you file as sole proprietor, you list your profits as income. Money kept in the business (used for facilities, inventory, employee compensation etc.) does not count as income and will not be taxed.

And you still haven't provided any evidence that the small business owners form a sizable part of that high-earner segment we're discussing. If your business is going well enough that you can extract 250,000 per year as income, you'd probably be smart to look into limiting your liability - at least, that's what I'd do.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaOno View Post
Yah, sure. As I observed in another thread - such delusion is rarely seen outside of rubber rooms and jail cells where everyone claims to be either sane or innocent, but none are.
I don't know what you see as delusion. Honesty and integrity, most likely.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:47 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default One of us is a liar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaOno View Post
That's one of the most absurd statement I have every read. There was no redistribution from the middle class to the wealthy class. It's a LIE.

...I report, you decide.

Though the Bush administration continues to laud the strength of the economy and the success of its economic and tax policies, a large percentage of Americans are continuing to struggle to make ends meet as income growth has become increasingly concentrated at the top of the income scale. Income inequality, in fact, is at an all-time high, illustrating that current tax, budget, and wage and employment policies are all not working in favor of average American families.

Income Inequality Has Intensified Under Bush | OMB Watch

The Rich Get Richer…and You Know the Rest - BusinessWeek

The rich get richer - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies