Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Unless you were in a bar that didn't allow smoking you weren't forcing anyone to do anything or are you suggesting people can't make decisions on their own and need the government making them for them.

The non smokers claim their rights but they always had the right to not enter somewhere that allowed smoking. Instead we have stripped the rights of owners of these establishments to run their business as they see fit and cater to the clientele they want. I hate country music, I think all bars should be banned from playing it. Who's with me on banning country music? As it stands now I either have the choice of dealing with it or leaving the establishment, that's just not right.
California hasn't allowed smoking indoors for quite some time, so it's not something I worry about. I don't have to sit and plan my evening around finding an establishment that doesn't allow smoking, which is quite convenient to me. I also don't have to come home and scrub myself down in the shower for half an hour to get the smell of smoke off of my skin, which is also quite nice. Recently, my city has also banned smoking in most public places. It was OVERWHELMINGLY popular to do so. You don't like it, live somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 10:48 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
California hasn't allowed smoking indoors for quite some time, so it's not something I worry about. I don't have to sit and plan my evening around finding an establishment that doesn't allow smoking, which is quite convenient to me. I also don't have to come home and scrub myself down in the shower for half an hour to get the smell of smoke off of my skin, which is also quite nice. Recently, my city has also banned smoking in most public places. It was OVERWHELMINGLY popular to do so. You don't like it, live somewhere else.

And as long as its "convenient" for YOU, thats all that matters, right? How can any sane person begrudge some businesses allowing smoking? Why does it have to be all or nothing with you folks? What happened to "live and let live" in this country? I'm sure you do something the rest of us hate. Maybe that soap you use to scrub yourself with is too perfumy for my tastes. Maybe you let your kids out in your backyard & they're noisy as heck, and your neighbor is trying to take a nap. Dont you get that we ALL do something that picky people will/can complain about? Our country is turning into the biggest HOA around, and its only going to get worse. I for one, dont care what others do as long as it doesnt hurt others. And for non-smokers having to avoid smoking establisments, gets a big Boo-Hoo from me....

Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
So you demand that he ban smoking in his own restaurant (which you are free not to patronize) and he is inconsiderate?
I'm am leftie liberal and I don't like things, they should be banned! I don't care it's in your restaurant and that I can choose to avoid it! I WANT MY WAY! I WILL BAN EVERYTHING I DON"T APPROVE OF BUT CALL YOU A BIGOT I FYOU DON"t agree with me!

Liberal "tolerance" at its finest.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't have to sit and plan my evening around finding an establishment that doesn't allow smoking, which is quite convenient to me.
Do you see the problem here?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
It's cold there in the winter time. He doesn't want to leave his beer on the bar alone so he peeks through the wall holes and has a smoke while only his face and hands get cold. Notice there's TWO holes for the hands - one to hold the beer, the other the cigarette! That's excellent engineering!

In my opinion the Germans are only second to the Austrians with regard to innovations in engineering. Practical solutions to every day problems! I expect to see these pop up in USA this winter.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's cold there in the winter time. He doesn't want to leave his beer on the bar alone so he peeks through the wall holes and has a smoke while only his face and hands get cold. Notice there's TWO holes for the hands - one to hold the beer, the other the cigarette! That's excellent engineering!

In my opinion the Germans are only second to the Austrians with regard to innovations in engineering. Practical solutions to every day problems! I expect to see these up and down the East coast this winter.
Problem the ban everything they dislike lefties will then ban outdoor smoking.

They ban it indoors, then complain that they smell smoke while walking on the sidewalks.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post

They ban it indoors, then complain that they smell smoke while walking on the sidewalks.
Yes. We'd all like to ban something.

I would like to ban loud chewers and mouth breathers.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
There's already a lot of areas with bans at public outdoor areas.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
There's already a lot of areas with bans at public outdoor areas.
But they don't allow people back indoors to smoke, evne in places only smokers would go, that would be labelled as such, that nonsmokers can easily avoid.

These nanny staters are complete control freaks.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
And as long as its "convenient" for YOU, thats all that matters, right? How can any sane person begrudge some businesses allowing smoking? Why does it have to be all or nothing with you folks? What happened to "live and let live" in this country? I'm sure you do something the rest of us hate. Maybe that soap you use to scrub yourself with is too perfumy for my tastes. Maybe you let your kids out in your backyard & they're noisy as heck, and your neighbor is trying to take a nap. Dont you get that we ALL do something that picky people will/can complain about? Our country is turning into the biggest HOA around, and its only going to get worse. I for one, dont care what others do as long as it doesnt hurt others. And for non-smokers having to avoid smoking establisments, gets a big Boo-Hoo from me....
Quote:
Do you see the problem here?
Like I said, we VOTED on it in my community and it received OVERWHELMING support.

If you don't like it, don't live here. You can choose to live somewhere where smoking is embraced and I will choose to live in a place where clean air and smoke free buildings are commonplace.

We also banned drive throughs with OVERWHELMING support. Bummer for you people who have to have a double cheeseburger in 30 seconds or less, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies