Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Minimum wage is the government intruding into your life telling you THOU SHALT NOT VOLUNTARILY MAKE CONTRACT OR ELSE...

This threat is of course backed up with the full coercive powers of the State.
Obviously you don't seem to have the time to truly understand what is going on. You are probably a very busy person. I would suggest not wasting your time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
first off...it is UNconstitutional.....you doubt me...show me in the constitution where it states the FEDERAL government has the power to set a minimum wage

second. the minimum wage is already a problem in this country and expanding the problems

you need $20/hr JUST TO GET BY in new york
you can live just fine on $6/hr in mississippi

so what does FEDERALLY setting the minimum wage at $7 do...not a darn thing for new york, but people in mississippi have a wage over livable...totall UNFAIR and UNCONSTITUTIONAL
It's not unconstitutional. Your point also doesn't seem to take into consideration that states set labor laws as well. Your points also don't demonstrate the unconstitutionality of a min. wage.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
We are talking about here in the US. No, not every country has seen a wealth gap increase. We aren't talking about globally country vs. country, rather internally class vs. class.
oh

so the FACT that the rich/poor gap has widened WORLDWIDE. means nothing, but we will ONLY talk about it here

dont you just think, that if it was US policies, it would only effect/affect the USA

the FACT is the rich/poor gap continues to increase WORLDWIDE..YET YOU WANT TO TALK only the usa....go figure that one

the rich will always get richer...all they have to do is invest

raising the minimum wage or HAVING a minum wage is helping to keep the poor in poverty...... or dont you see that??????

Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It's not unconstitutional. Your point also doesn't seem to take into consideration that states set labor laws as well. Your points also don't demonstrate the unconstitutionality of a min. wage.

Quote:
Your point also doesn't seem to take into consideration that states set labor laws as well.
I dont need to because that is the state right to do so

you still havent answered it

SO ME...ANYWHERE in the constitution,...where is says the FEDERAL government can set a MINIMUM WAGE on the PEOPLE

you CANT...it is unconstitional...see article 10

Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,976 times
Default what i was claiming was

Quote:
You could have sold your house. Rented in a cheaper location, from the money you earned from your house (the house appreciated in those 11 years). Poor people don't have that option if worse came to worse. If your situation had not improved, you had that possibility.

You had savings. Not something that the poor have. Credit cards with an interest rate that is lower than 50% (the poor of the poor use places like check into cash...the rates are ridiculous).

You had family that can afford to help you. Not everyone does.

Look, I'm sorry for what happened to you. However, to claim that this is a shining example of what it means to be poor in America is simply misleading.
It can be done without relying on the government. That's what I am trying to say. everyone is complaining raise this, raise that. For crying out lout. for 18 months, I held it together working multiple part times jobs and side jobs. This has nothing to do with my mortgage, credit cards, etc etc. It has to do with the fact that without help from the government, without using a credit card, without having to sell everything I own.

I had MINIMAL Savings. I was a single parent with a deadbeat X raising 2 kids, and in all honesty, I was not making middle class income.

Quote:
Everyone wants to believe they are middle class...But this eagerness...has led the definition to be stretched like a bungee cord — used to defend/attack/describe everything...The Drum Major Institute...places the range for middle class at individuals making between $25,000 and $100,000 a year. Ah yes, there's a group of people bound to run into each other while house-hunting.
Based on the above, I was making UNDER the middle class income.

I wasn't making an shining example claims either. Did you even read what I wrote? I said that for 18 months, I held the household together making LESS than minimum wage/full time employment. Whatever conclusions you jumped to isn't my fault.

The bottom line, I had to pay for a roof, electricity, food, gas, insurance, medical, dental, clothes, 2 kids schools supplies. There were some weeks I worked less than 20 hours, some weeks I exhausted myself working 60 plus hours. All minimum wages jobs, or close to it.

I am trying to tell you, it can be done. Whether you wish to accept that or not.

COMPREHEND

Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It can be done without relying on the government. That's what I am trying to say. everyone is complaining raise this, raise that. For crying out lout. for 18 months, I held it together working multiple part times jobs and side jobs. This has nothing to do with my mortgage, credit cards, etc etc. It has to do with the fact that without help from the government, without using a credit card, without having to sell everything I own.

I had MINIMAL Savings. I was a single parent with a deadbeat X raising 2 kids, and in all honesty, I was not making middle class income.

Based on the above, I was making UNDER the middle class income.

I wasn't making an shining example claims either. Did you even read what I wrote? I said that for 18 months, I held the household together making LESS than minimum wage/full time employment. Whatever conclusions you jumped to isn't my fault.

The bottom line, I had to pay for a roof, electricity, food, gas, insurance, medical, dental, clothes, 2 kids schools supplies. There were some weeks I worked less than 20 hours, some weeks I exhausted myself working 60 plus hours. All minimum wages jobs, or close to it.

I am trying to tell you, it can be done. Whether you wish to accept that or not.

COMPREHEND
You were middle class. You owned a house, you had savings, and you got let go from a middle class job.

You claimed that if you could do it, then others could to. Those were your conclusions not mine.

Again you had more options. You started out with significantly more than those who only worked lower waged jobs. So I'm just pointing out that your situation was quite different and not reflective most people working min. wage jobs.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
oh

so the FACT that the rich/poor gap has widened WORLDWIDE. means nothing, but we will ONLY talk about it here

dont you just think, that if it was US policies, it would only effect/affect the USA

the FACT is the rich/poor gap continues to increase WORLDWIDE..YET YOU WANT TO TALK only the usa....go figure that one

the rich will always get richer...all they have to do is invest

raising the minimum wage or HAVING a minum wage is helping to keep the poor in poverty...... or dont you see that??????
Not in every nation. In fact it decreased in many nations. We aren't talking about other nations. We are talking about our federal min. wage. We are also not talking about economic stagnation in Africa vs. our growth. Not the same the same causes as why there are poor people in America. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp.

I'm talking about the US, because that's what the topic is about. I actually like staying on topic. It's kind of the normal thing to do when you conversing with people. It's generally agreed upon that people shouldn't switch topics midway.

No, it doesn't people poorer when you promise them more money.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,146 times
Quote:
Obviously you don't seem to have the time to truly understand what is going on. You are probably a very busy person. I would suggest not wasting your time here.
I understand that it is taxes and regulations that make goods and services more and more expensive. I want those gone, you just want more taxes and regulations on top of the old ones and if those fall short you want more and more and more. The State is your God.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:

No, it doesn't people poorer when you promise them more money.
oh it doesnt

so you are saying the PRICE OF EVERYTHING going up doesnt keep them poorer???

the minimum wage does nothing other that keep some people poor and other wages stagnent

prices on almost everythin have doubled and in some cases tripled/quadrupled...yes ALL wages have not even come close to that

are you going to tell me that the minimum wage (which only effects 1% of the working population) is realy going to help the poor..nope, it hurts EVERYONE ELSE

Old 01-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
oh it doesnt

so you are saying the PRICE OF EVERYTHING going up doesnt keep them poorer???

the minimum wage does nothing other that keep some people poor and other wages stagnent

prices on almost everythin have doubled and in some cases tripled/quadrupled...yes ALL wages have not even come close to that

are you going to tell me that the minimum wage (which only effects 1% of the working population) is realy going to help the poor..nope, it hurts EVERYONE ELSE
So why was the study you cited disproved by many economists, such as the one cited here...as well as others. Economists claim flaws in the methods cited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies