Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
As an independent voter who voted for a majority of Republicans this year, if they pull anything like they did in the 90's or forsee some overzealous mandate due to the rise of the tea party, you will find me checking the "vote straight Democratic ticket" in 2012.
List some of these policies from the 1990's that you disapprove of.. The balanced budgets? The job creations? The economic stimulations and increased income for all? What exactly were you unhappy with
Quote:
I am already displeased with McConnel's comments about one of his priorities in getting rid of Obama.
Boo hoo hoo... Why would you want to keep someone who has failed with everyone of their policies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 02:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,312,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It was a mandate to President Obama to CHANGE course. It was not a mandate to the Republicans to REVERSE course. If they start that crap up, they will be there for a very short 24 month stay. Neither the health care program nor the stimulus are going to be repealed and it is not in the interest of the Republicans to waste time trying.
EVERY poll since Obamcare's passage, as well as before its passage, has shown a majority of voters are against it. The majority wants it repealed. Republican leadership in the house will offer its repeal as an up or down vote to get everyone on record. It will pass but the Democrats will block in in the Senate. But the Republicans control the money. They will zero fund it and stop it that way. Obamacare will never be put in to action!
I will be happy if this remains an issue for the next two years because if DemocRATS continue to support it they will continue to lose power.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,388,797 times
As far as Obamacare. Here's what voters had to say:

Quote:
Close to half want to repeal Obama's health care legislation, but a third want to expand it and the rest want to leave it alone.

NH exit poll show split on Obama, health care - Boston.com

Old 11-04-2010, 02:09 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,774,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
List some of these policies from the 1990's that you disapprove of.. The balanced budgets? The job creations? The economic stimulations and increased income for all? What exactly were you unhappy with

Boo hoo hoo... Why would you want to keep someone who has failed with everyone of their policies?
If you don't know why many Republicans were voted out in the later 90's then I have a feeling that you are going to be so right of center that if I listed them you would come up with some reason, in your opinion, I am/was wrong as an independent voter.

I'll give you a hint, what McConnel said is very similiar to what the Congress of 90's indirectly tried to do.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:16 PM

5,290 posts, read 6,231,815 times
I don't think people minded Obama being liberal as much as they minded him and Reid being completely inneffective. And yesterday's news conference made me wince. He thinks the results ould have been diferent if he had only explained it better....

The D's losses would have been much less significant if they could have held more of their core groups- but those folks stayed home in large numbers. Another 3 showing up would have kept 3 more Senate seats and a fair number in the house- and the voters knew it. They still chose to stay away. That tells the whole story. Obama has given people less of what they want and more of what they did not.

If we could have a Clinton v Kasich race in 2012 we could atleast return the presidency to a fully formed adult for the first time in 20 years.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
If you don't know why many Republicans were voted out in the later 90's then I have a feeling that you are going to be so right of center that if I listed them you would come up with some reason, in your opinion, I am/was wrong as an independent voter.

I'll give you a hint, what McConnel said is very similiar to what the Congress of 90's indirectly tried to do.
So you cant give me a valid reason other than.. Someone said something.. Boo hoo hoo.. Like Obama and Democrats havent pulled similar BS..

Old 11-04-2010, 06:05 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,388,797 times
The results of a more national exit poll:

Quote:
In today's preliminary exit polling, nearly half of voters -- 48 percent -- said health care reform should be repealed. Another 31 percent said it should be expanded, while 16 percent said it should be left as is.

Exit Poll: Voters Unhappy with Obama, Congress - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
So if republicans are going to repeal health care they will have to convince that 31% and 16% to come around to their view. That may not be easy.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 PM

914 posts, read 4,448,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
So if republicans are going to repeal health care they will have to convince that 31% and 16% to come around to their view. That may not be easy.
I think this is an important point to make. There are a lot of people out there who are angry with Obama and/or Democratic legislators who do not support the GOP. If X amount of people are unhappy with Obama, there are a lot of conservatives out (especially in the media) who take that to mean X amount of people want conservatives in power. That just isn't true, especially in this election cycle. Some people didn't vote because of that.

Personally, I think it is silly when either party thinks it will be in charge from whenever on into the future. It will always go back and forth. That is the nature of politics. And it is a good thing.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
In Obam's words;elctions have consequences. He is about to see thsoe consequence. ith the govenorship gains and state house gains it may last for sometime.Maybe it will give him a chance to wander about his emenies list.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM

24,449 posts, read 23,127,133 times
So we have republican leaders promising they're going to change the way they do things and democrat leaders refusing to change the way they do things.
It comes down to hoping the republicans actually mean what they say this time. I think its time the democrats have a purge of their own ranks before its too late. They need to completely remove all their current leaders and new untainted leaders have to step up. If they don't they're risking all their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies