Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM

516 posts, read 375,972 times

Advertisements

It's time to dump this program. Just give me my money back and everyone else who's propped this pig up throughout their working career. Refund my money and drop SS altogether. It's unsustainable based on our changing demographics and, other than the military, is likely our biggest national expense.

Let me take care of myself, thank you. Those who are truly in need of our help (not the lazy poor who dropped out of school, not the welfare mothers who keep having babies to get mo' money, not the free-loaders) but those who have true physical or mental limitations should be cared for a decent and just society. But SS? Drop it, now. If that's what you're counting on for your retirement, you screwed up and bet the wrong horse.

Social programs for the truly needy. The rest, grow the hell up and take care of yourselves.

Last edited by GSC1; 11-05-2010 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post
It's time to dump this program. Just give me my money back and everyone else who's propped this pig up throughout their working career. Refund my money and drop SS altogether. It's unsustainable based on our changing demographics and, other than the military, is likely our biggest national expense.

Let me take care of myself, thank you. Those who are truly in need of our help (not the lazy poor who dropped out of school, not the welfare mothers who keep having babies to get mo' money, not the free-loaders but those who have true physical or mental limitations should be cared for a decent and just society. But SS? Drop it, now. If that's what you're counting on for your retirement, you screwed up and bet the wrong horse.

Social programs for the truly needy. The rest, grow the hell up and take care of yourselves.
I had this exact conversation with somebody the other night. I suggested we need to get rid of it, and I got the typical "a lot of people depend on it" response. Fair enough, a lot of people do depend on it. However, what if instead of taking your money involuntarily, the government allowed you to invest that money yourself. What if throughout ones lifetime, there were training programs designed to educate the people about ways to invest their own money? Who would do a better job at investing your money, you or the government? Well as we've seen, the government has done a terrible job, so maybe it's time for a change.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:06 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,800 times
Social Security brought literally millions of the elderly out of poverty. Which is actually why it will never be repealed. No politician wants a jump in the poverty level on their record. (Also, no politician wants to **** off the elderly.) Given that American's have almost no savings today, I fail to see how a repeal would be good for our economy.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM

516 posts, read 375,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Social Security brought literally millions of the elderly out of poverty.
Oh really??

And if people took a little more responsibility for themselves instead of looking to others for a handout maybe they'd have a little savings. SS was NEVER supposed to be a living income and if that's what you're counting on, you're a chump.

I grew up in a broken household where there were three kids, no dad or child support, and a mom who refused to take handouts. She worked her way through college, finishing her BA and then getting an MA all while raising her family. I worked my way through college and finally was awarded a PhD all without student loans or handouts.

It's time to become responsible again and SS needs to end. It's an unsustainable program and EVERYONE knows it.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:

Let me take care of myself, thank you. Those who are truly in need of our help (not the lazy poor who dropped out of school, not the welfare mothers who keep having babies to get mo' money, not the free-loaders) but those who have true physical or mental limitations should be cared for a decent and just society. But SS? Drop it, now. If that's what you're counting on for your retirement, you screwed up and bet the wrong horse.

Hmmmm...compelling. But after some thought, no thanks. Mr. Roosevelt got it right.

Too late for that now. It's here, and here to stay. Just keep paying in and stop whining about it. When it's your turn, go down and collect your money like everyone else (that's what you were going to do anyway).

Old 11-05-2010, 03:19 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Good luck with that. Also I doubt it would do much to reduce the deficit since SSI is currently profitable and running a surplus. Do you honestly think people will keep paying FICA, SECA, and HI if those programs are eliminated?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
I grew up in a broken household where there were three kids, no dad or child support, and a mom who refused to take handouts. She worked her way through college, finishing her BA and then getting an MA all while raising her family. I worked my way through college and finally was awarded a PhD all without student loans or handouts.
Gosh...i hate these bootstrap stories. After you read a few, you realize that there is a "Templates for Hardluck Stories for Republicans" website somewhere. They all sound the same. The only people who don't realize how silly these stories sound are the people who tell 'em.

A mom...3 kids, broken household, no child support, but needed no handouts while getting a BA and MA at the same time? Where did the money for the BA and MA come from...a job at Target? All while feeding and housing 3 kids? C'mon, get real.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:

Let's just stop this program and Medicare IMMEDIATELY. Especially since most senior citizens voted Republican. They obviously think the government is spending too much money.

Immediately 40% of the Federal Budget gets free up. Then we can cut taxes again so we can have more money to buy houses, big screen T.V. and cars, you know, the REAL IMPORTANT stuff in life. Of course we'll have old people dying in the streets for aboiut the next 20 years but it's a small price to pay for fiscal prosperity. We will mourn their sacrifice and member their contribution to making America a better place to live.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
I totally agree. SS should be repealed and leave everyone's money to themselves. If you can't save and take care of yourself, that is your problem, not mine.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Oh really??

And if people took a little more responsibility for themselves instead of looking to others for a handout maybe they'd have a little savings. SS was NEVER supposed to be a living income and if that's what you're counting on, you're a chump.

It's time to become responsible again and SS needs to end. It's an unsustainable program and EVERYONE knows it.
Your world is very simple.

The real world is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies