Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 02:06 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,591,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Ok.

Tell us what Sharia law the judge BASED his decision upon.
If I am getting the jest of it and I do believe I am. The right for the man to have sex with his wife on demand.

Which Sharia law do you believe the judge based his decision on?

PS: you came in on page 12?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 11-09-2010 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: ps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 02:14 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Did not.

The judge opined that the man believed he had a right to have sex with his wife regardless of her consent. That's not Sharia law, actually.
That will be news to the President and senior cleric of Britain's main Sharia court.
Quote:
So let's review the Muslim position being presented by Sheikh Maulana Abu Sayeed [President and senior cleric of Britain’s main sharia court]:
  • Wives cannot be raped by their husbands
  • Women do not have a right to refuse to have sex with their husbands
  • A man forcing his wife to have sex is not contrary to Shariah law
  • Equality and equal rights are false ideas created by the West
  • Prosecution for rape is a worse aggression than a man forcing his wife to have sex
UK Islamic Sharia Council: You Can't Rape Your Wife

Old 11-09-2010, 02:19 PM

More from Sheikh Maulana Abu Sayeed: "In Islamic sharia, rape is adultery by force. So long as the woman is his wife, it cannot be termed as rape. It is reprehensible, but we do not call it rape."
Impossible for a man to rape his wife, says Muslim cleric | EuropeNews

Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That will be news to the President and senior cleric of Britain's main Sharia court. UK Islamic Sharia Council: You Can't Rape Your Wife
I think Phyllis Schafly said the same exact thing.

You know, the American woman who opposed the feminist movement.

That would be the movement that led to the AMERICAN laws that said wives could not refuse sex to their husbands being overturned.

I know, it's a pesky little thing. I think Germany's laws still say that a woman cannot say no to her husband, that he has the right to force himself upon her. And they didn't change Germany's laws to reflect Sharia law. Germany's laws have said this for centuries. As did British laws. French laws. AMERICAN laws, until they started changing those laws in the 1970's. And guess what, in some states you still cannot accuse a husband of RAPE. It's not called RAPE. It's called domestic assault. And in some states even if it's called rape, spousal rape does not get treated the same as other rapes. It's a lesser charge, lesser penalty. Sometimes it doesn't even rise to the status of a sexual crime. In the United States. No Sharia influence at all.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
More from Sheikh Maulana Abu Sayeed: "In Islamic sharia, rape is adultery by force. So long as the woman is his wife, it cannot be termed as rape. It is reprehensible, but we do not call it rape."
Impossible for a man to rape his wife, says Muslim cleric | EuropeNews
Not so different from American law a generation ago.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
If I am getting the jest of it and I do believe I am. The right for the man to have sex with his wife on demand.

Which Sharia law do you believe the judge based his decision on?

PS: you came in on page 12?
I'm not making fun of you, I'm sure it was just a typo, but I do believe you mean "gist of it". "Jest of it" might have been a Freudian slip. But it was funny as can be, even though this is not a funny topic.

The judge ruled against extending a restraining order. His ruling was overturned. He did not uphold the right of a man to have sex with his wife on demand. So you still have not provided us with the Sharia law that the judge BASED his ruling upon.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Sometimes it doesn't even rise to the status of a sexual crime. In the United States. No Sharia influence at all.
While that may be true, in this particular NJ case, the judge DID in fact refer to the man's belief that he was entitled to sex whenever he wanted, even without his wife's consent. Clearly based on Islamic Sharia Law that does not recognize forced marital sex as rape.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
While that may be true, in this particular NJ case, the judge DID in fact refer to the man's belief that he was entitled to sex whenever he wanted, even without his wife's consent. Clearly based on Islamic Sharia Law that does not recognize forced marital sex as rape.
The judge referred to the man's belief. The judge didn't refer to Sharia Law. He referred to the man's belief. This particular man was Muslim. But if he'd been German he might have believed the exact same thing. And the judge might have referred to the man's belief in exactly the same way. And do try to remember that some states (American states) do not recognize forced marital sex as rape. They call it domestic assault.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,424 times
Good for Oklahoma for passing this. Of course CAIR will challenge it...that's their purpose.

Someone a few pages back commented that there probably weren't many Muslims in Oklahoma. Why does that make a difference? I'm in Nebraska and I'm sure most people don't think we have many illegals. We recently passed a law not to provide free prenatal care to welfare recipients and of the 1600 people this took off the roles, 860 were illegal. When over half are illegal it's a problem.

Hopefully Oklahoma will send a message and avoid a future problem.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,424 times
Quote:
The judge referred to the man's belief. The judge didn't refer to Sharia Law. He referred to the man's belief. This particular man was Muslim. But if he'd been German he might have believed the exact same thing. And the judge might have referred to the man's belief in exactly the same way. And do try to remember that some states (American states) do not recognize forced marital sex as rape. They call it domestic assault.

How do you think this defense would fly for an American? As an attorney would you rely on it as a defense? As a client would you feel confident with an attorney that used this defense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies