Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times

Advertisements

I wounder how the United States will measure up to the other countries in the area of our human rights vs. other country's human rights record?

Quote:
US submits to UN human rights review for the first time
The United States is submitting its human rights record to the scrutiny of other nations — both allies and adversaries — for the first time, as the Obama administration opens itself up to a committee shunned by his predecessor.
I'm not sure of his reasoning behind being the first president to elect the U.S. to be reviewed, but...here we go, let the review begin.

Do you think this is a good thing, a bad thing, or a non-issue for the United States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I wounder how the United States will measure up to the other countries in the area of our human rights vs. other country's human rights record?

I'm not sure of his reasoning behind being the first president to elect the U.S. to be reviewed, but...here we go, let the review begin.

Do you think this is a good thing, a bad thing, or a non-issue for the United States?
For the most part, our relative human rights record is decent. I don't have a problem with anyone comparing us to the rest of the world. I'll be interested in the objectiveness of the findings.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:57 AM

Exclamation additional information

From the favorite FoxNews
U.N. Human Rights Council Takes Aim at New Target: United States - FoxNews.com
Quote:
“Our taking the process seriously contributes to the universality” of the human rights process, one State Department official told Fox News. “It’s an important opportunity for us to showcase our willingness to expose ourselves in a transparent way” to human rights criticism.
“For us, upholding the process is very important.”

Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
For the most part, our relative human rights record is decent. I don't have a problem with anyone comparing us to the rest of the world. I'll be interested in the objectiveness of the findings.
When they throw Gitmo in there and few other things...I don't know.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Friday's human rights farce at the UN - Laura Unleashed
Yes, the terrible United States, a republic that has freed hundreds of millions of people around the world, will finally have to answer for its abysmal record on human rights. Some aspects of America that are expected be highlighted are our use of torture in the War on Terror, the death penalty, our treatment of racial minorities, and, of course, Arizona's immigration law.
What is Obama up to really? Anything? No president has ever done this before, why him, why now?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
What is Obama up to really? Anything? No president has ever done this before, why him, why now?
Hopefully to not only kill, but to utterly defile, any sense of American exceptionalism. To bring the U.S. in compliance with all the high-minded rhetoric we preach to others--and use as a pretext for war. It's about damn time!

(Just reading the words "U.S. submits" gives me a warm fuzzy )

Old 11-08-2010, 03:51 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Why not? Do we have skeletons in our closet? Sure we do. Are we still practicing some things that smack of human rights abuse? I don't know, maybe. Do we deny some of our history or excuse it because, after all, it is us we are talking about? Yes. In the final analysis, does this review have any real meaning? No. Of course it doesn't help to have a former President openly stating he broke US and International Law, and writes about it.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Obama has allowed the worst perpetrators of human rights abuses in the world to sit in judgment of the US. He has allowed these murderous thugs and regimes to get up on a platform, provided and encouraged by obama, to bash the US.

This man is a disgrace to the office of the Presidency.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 AM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Hey, I know the right-wing answer to this one - it was certainly thrown in my face often enough when I didn't like warrantless wiretapping:

"If you're clean, why should you care?"

Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 AM

64 posts, read 80,183 times
How awful they think they can judge us. It's a sign the new world order is coming, and Obama is at its head. Why did no one listen when we had the chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies