Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:08 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,028,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what is it...4% or 25%? And who are these "analysts?" Courtesy of Fox News.com, huh?

And since when did Conservatives fall in love with Juan Williams?

Whatever the amount, whether you believe it to be 4%, 25% or 40%, it is time to cut the apron strings and stop spending all the people's tax dollars to a media that is only representing the liberal/progressive portion. I think the firing of Juan Williams, who by the way has been a well respected member of FOX news in their presentation of balanced news for quite some time, was the defining moment for NPR. In other words, the mask has been lifted, and it is time to accept the fact that NPR as well as PBS is more than a little biased toward the far left. If it wishes to continue, let it do so within the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 02:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Whatever the amount, whether you believe it to be 4%, 25% or 40%, it is time to cut the apron strings and stop spending all the people's tax dollars to a media that is only representing the liberal/progressive portion. I think the firing of Juan Williams, who by the way has been a well respected member of FOX news in their presentation of balanced news for quite some time, was the defining moment for NPR. In other words, the mask has been lifted, and it is time to accept the fact that NPR as well as PBS is more than a little biased toward the far left. If it wishes to continue, let it do so within the private sector.
LOL...So Juan Williams is a "respected" member of Fox now, huh?

I wish they had an smilie icon where it's actually rolling on the floor laughing and slapping it's knee!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:08 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,378,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
NPR is a very good thing. It has programming that cannot be found elsewhere and is very unique and deserves to be a 1st class operation. It probably cost each taxpayer less than 50 cents a year. Although I am not an "artsy fartsy" type of person, for people who are NPR performs a valuable service. It plays classical music which is not found on commercial radio. It has in depth news programs not heard anywhere else. Was it wrong to fire Williams? Yes. And he should be rehired and apologized to. Is it liberally biased? To an extent but not openly liberal or political as MSNBC is by any means. It is more like NPR is ran and programmed by very educated people (which is why many of the stations are on college campuses) and very educated people tend to be towards the liberal end of the political spectrum.
You want classical music? Buy your own..........like the rest of us consumers.

If those edumacated eggheads can't figure out how to pay their own way, that's their issue, not mine.

Maybe they can pickup some revenue from the commercial ventures that get free advertising on PBS. Ever heard of the show Sesame Street? Maybe This Old House? Lots of toys and tools being sold via taxpayer funding.

HAHAHAHAH - another who thinks the liberal mind = very educated.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,794,960 times
Keep your hands off of my classical music!!

There's no way I can afford the library of music that my local public station owns.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,920,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Good one! Hopefully, Gingrich, Huckabee and others will follow through with their words spoken following the firing of Juan Williams and cut all Government aka tax payer funding of this biased media.
sorry to tell you, but gingrich and huckabee, and other talk show hosts can do nothing about cutting NPRs funding, that has to be done in the house in congress. but it is time to eliminate federal funding for the corporation for public broadcasting.

Quote:
And since when did Conservatives fall in love with Juan Williams?
Quote:
LOL...So Juan Williams is a "respected" member of Fox now, huh?

I wish they had an smilie icon where it's actually rolling on the floor laughing and slapping it's knee!
i like jaun williams. even though i disagree with him politically, he is a stand up kind of guy, and i respect that. and yes williams IS a respected fox contributor. if he wasnt, fox would not have given him a better contract after he was fired from npr.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:08 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,561,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Then they should have no problem operating on advertizing dollars instead of MY dollars.
What advertising? NPR doesn't accept advertisements, though they will run a sort of "thank you" spot in exchange for donations.

The whole point behind National PUBLIC Radio was precisely to avoid having to run ads, which would give the advertisers control over what it broadcasts, thereby offering listeners (and viewers via PBS) an alternative not dictated to by adverstisers.

To take the PUBLIC out of National PUBLIC Radio and replace it with corporate advertising would defeat the whole purpose of it and turn it into NCR, just another corporate outlet.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i like jaun williams. even though i disagree with him politically, he is a stand up kind of guy, and i respect that. and yes williams IS a respected fox contributor. if he wasnt, fox would not have given him a better contract after he was fired from npr.
So Juan Williams is a "stand up kind of guy," ehh? Imagine that. A guy only needs to get fired from NPR and he gains all kinds of respect that he couldn't buy with a billion dollars beforehand.

Now that's a stretch, aint it? I mean, isn't that something you'd normally reserve saying about someone you actually KNOW?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:13 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,600,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
NPR is a very good thing. It has programming that cannot be found elsewhere and is very unique and deserves to be a 1st class operation. It probably cost each taxpayer less than 50 cents a year. Although I am not an "artsy fartsy" type of person, for people who are NPR performs a valuable service. It plays classical music which is not found on commercial radio. It has in depth news programs not heard anywhere else. Was it wrong to fire Williams? Yes. And he should be rehired and apologized to. Is it liberally biased? To an extent but not openly liberal or political as MSNBC is by any means. It is more like NPR is ran and programmed by very educated people (which is why many of the stations are on college campuses) and very educated people tend to be towards the liberal end of the political spectrum.
I like Bill Moyers Journal best. And Antique Roadshow

Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,154,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Keep your hands off of my classical music!!

There's no way I can afford the library of music that my local public station owns.
I can't afford the library of music the private local rock station owns, what's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies