Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,500,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
What are you talking about? What do you mean "people like you"? Are you saying people who disagree with you?

I have every right to state my belief as you have every right to state yours. Mine happens to differ from yours. I'm not saying anyone is second class to anyone else, it's just something I don't believe is right in the eyes of God. I never said gay people are bad horrible people, just that I don't believe in that lifestyle choice.

I will not keep my Bible to myself as I am an evangelist.
I mean people like you who want it against the law to be in a same sex marriage because of your god and your religion. When people like you decide to vote with their bible, you are making your belief that should be a personal issue, every ones issue. Being gay is no more a lifestyle choice then being straight is. When I read any newspaper and see the lifestyle section, guess what, it has religion in it. Do you not see that having a religion or being religious is a choice? One is not born with a belief in god, it is taught. One is not taught to be gay or straight, one is born that way. It does not matter whether you are an evangelist, catholic, jewish, hindu, or what ever. When one decides that everyone else must believe the same, it is pushing ones belief and religion down everyones throats. Belief in god or religion is not law, nor is is mandatory. Keep it out of the law books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,755,505 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? What do you mean "people like you"? Are you saying people who disagree with you?

I have every right to state my belief as you have every right to state yours. Mine happens to differ from yours. I'm not saying anyone is second class to anyone else, it's just something I don't believe is right in the eyes of God. I never said gay people are bad horrible people, just that I don't believe in that lifestyle choice.

I will not keep my Bible to myself as I am an evangelist.
Well this christian has to say that you are a p*ss-poor evangelist because the things you say are more likely to drive people away than bring them to God.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Why was this thread started if people are just going to flame others who say no, they would not participate in the gay wedding?
If you feel you're being 'flamed', maybe you should go back and reread some of the things you've said. As well as the way you've said them. As for me, I'm not even gay, but I simply cannot imagine any gay person actually considering you a 'friend'. I could be wrong. You might be totally different in life than you are here and, of course, my opinion is based only on what you have posted. But, if you spout off with the same things you post here, you might be considered an acquaintance, but never a friend.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 AM

1,935 posts, read 1,827,207 times
I think it might make for an interesting event. I have never been to a same sex wedding. I bet they party real hard.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,118,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
If you feel you're being 'flamed', maybe you should go back and reread some of the things you've said. As well as the way you've said them. As for me, I'm not even gay, but I simply cannot imagine any gay person actually considering you a 'friend'. I could be wrong. You might be totally different in life than you are here and, of course, my opinion is based only on what you have posted. But, if you spout off with the same things you post here, you might be considered an acquaintance, but never a friend.
What have I said that is offensive on this thread? I said I would not participate b/c I don't believe the gay lifestyle is what God wants for us.

You don't know me personally so please refrain from making statements about my personal life when you have no clue.

I stand by my statements on this thread and I still want to know why it's okay for you all to flame me when I have said nothing offensive. I have disagreed with your opinion and that is my right. I have shoved nothing down anyone's throats, just given my reason behind saying no to someone who asked me to participate in a gay wedding ceremony. If you want to get nasty, I can get nasty right back, but I really don't want to get banned from CD so I'm refraining.

Religion is not the subject here. I believe we are supposed to spread the Gospel and that is why I said I'm an evangelist and will not keep "my Bible" to myself. For people who do not understand what the Gospel says or for people who have not heard of Jesus, I am happy to give these people information. However, I'm not trying to force my beliefs on anyone.

Note that when gay marriage was put up for referendum, it was overwhelmingly voted down. I am not the only person in this country who believes gay people should not be given the right to enter into marriage like a heterosexual couple. It's not about being less than a heterosexual couple, I will respect anyone else's rights to freedom, but I don't want to be a part of this specific thing, which is why I said I would not support anyone entering into a gay marriage, which is not even legal anyway.

If anyone wants to be gay, be my guest, it's not like my opinion actually has any influence on people's decisions about this topic whether on CD or in real life. It is my belief that homosexuality is the wrong way to live life and I am married so it's a non-issue for me. But when posed with a question about it, I will answer honestly.

I am once again asking to not be flamed for my opinion. If you can't be respectful and polite, please do not respond to me. I have not been rude to anyone here and I should be able to expect the same reverence.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:43 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If a guy relative or friend was getting married to another guy and they asked you to be in the wedding, for the fellas, he wanted you to be a groomsman and you had to walk down the isle with another male who was a bridesmaid.

And ladies if you was to be a bridesmaid and you had to walk down with another woman would you do it??
Of course! I'm completely comfortable with my sexuality and I know who I am. You know you can't catch gay, right?! And, by the way, if it were two guys getting married, one of them would not be "the bride with bridesmaids." They would both be grooms with groomsmen.

I can't believe I actually had to clarify that for you...

Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
What have I said that is offensive on this thread? I said I would not participate b/c I don't believe the gay lifestyle is what God wants for us.
See, that may be part of the 'problem' here. You don't seem to understand that some of us find phrases like 'gay lifestyle' to be offensive. A gay man is a gay man if he never has a sexual relationship; a lesbian is a lesbian if she never has a sexual encounter with another woman. Just as you and I remain heterosexual if we never have a sexual encounter with someone of the opposite sex. Gay is NOT a lifestyle - as Smash said, it's part of who a person is. Just as being a mother was never my 'lifestyle' - it is part of who I am.
Quote:
You don't know me personally so please refrain from making statements about my personal life when you have no clue.
And I believe I stated in my previous post that, for all I know you might be totally different in your personal life. I know I did state that all I have to go on with is what you've posted here.
Quote:
I stand by my statements on this thread and I still want to know why it's okay for you all to flame me when I have said nothing offensive. I have disagreed with your opinion and that is my right. I have shoved nothing down anyone's throats, just given my reason behind saying no to someone who asked me to participate in a gay wedding ceremony. If you want to get nasty, I can get nasty right back, but I really don't want to get banned from CD so I'm refraining.
And you seem to think that disagreeing with you is 'flaming'. You stated your reasons and some of us have disagreed with those reasons. Where, really, has anyone 'gotten nasty' with you?
Quote:
Religion is not the subject here. I believe we are supposed to spread the Gospel and that is why I said I'm an evangelist and will not keep "my Bible" to myself. For people who do not understand what the Gospel says or for people who have not heard of Jesus, I am happy to give these people information. However, I'm not trying to force my beliefs on anyone.
To me, using religious beliefs as the 'reason' not to participate in the celebration of another's happiness is forcing those beliefs on others.
Quote:
Note that when gay marriage was put up for referendum, it was overwhelmingly voted down. I am not the only person in this country who believes gay people should not be given the right to enter into marriage like a heterosexual couple. It's not about being less than a heterosexual couple, I will respect anyone else's rights to freedom, but I don't want to be a part of this specific thing, which is why I said I would not support anyone entering into a gay marriage, which is not even legal anyway.
And, since the SCOTUS has previously stated that marriage is, not only a right, but one of the basic rights of man, referendums and laws are the wrong way to go in determining anyone else's rights. If you and I have a right, that means EVERYONE has that same right. If rights are things to be voted on, you'd better be careful that no one decides you shouldn't have the same rights as the rest of us.
Quote:
If anyone wants to be gay, be my guest, it's not like my opinion actually has any influence on people's decisions about this topic whether on CD or in real life. It is my belief that homosexuality is the wrong way to live life and I am married so it's a non-issue for me. But when posed with a question about it, I will answer honestly.
Since being gay is no more a choice than being straight or being born with blue eyes or born with physical defects, you're being offensive once again.
Quote:
I am once again asking to not be flamed for my opinion. If you can't be respectful and polite, please do not respond to me. I have not been rude to anyone here and I should be able to expect the same reverence.
Well, I apologize if you find my remarks disrespectful. But you have to know that I have found a lot of yours to be the same.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:47 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,231,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If a guy relative or friend was getting married to another guy and they asked you to be in the wedding, for the fellas, he wanted you to be a groomsman and you had to walk down the isle with another male who was a bridesmaid.

And ladies if you was to be a bridesmaid and you had to walk down with another woman would you do it??
Yep.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,426,296 times
I think the OP's original question is a bit weird.

Why would there be heteronormative gender roles at a same sex wedding? As if one guy will wear a tux, the other a dress, and everyone is referred to as "bridesmaids and groomsmen?"

Maybe in some off the wall colorful ceremonies that might happen, but I don't think most would adopt that... and if it WAS such a wedding, and you DID have friends like that in your personal life, you'd probably already be "OK" with whatever they ask!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,362,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think the OP's original question is a bit weird.

Why would there be heteronormative gender roles at a same sex wedding? As if one guy will wear a tux, the other a dress, and everyone is referred to as "bridesmaids and groomsmen?"

Maybe in some off the wall colorful ceremonies that might happen, but I don't think most would adopt that... and if it WAS such a wedding, and you DID have friends like that in your personal life, you'd probably already be "OK" with whatever they ask!
True For me it would never happen so i can say No without hesitation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies