Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,117,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
See, that may be part of the 'problem' here. You don't seem to understand that some of us find phrases like 'gay lifestyle' to be offensive. A gay man is a gay man if he never has a sexual relationship; a lesbian is a lesbian if she never has a sexual encounter with another woman. Just as you and I remain heterosexual if we never have a sexual encounter with someone of the opposite sex. Gay is NOT a lifestyle - as Smash said, it's part of who a person is. Just as being a mother was never my 'lifestyle' - it is part of who I am.

And I believe I stated in my previous post that, for all I know you might be totally different in your personal life. I know I did state that all I have to go on with is what you've posted here.

And you seem to think that disagreeing with you is 'flaming'. You stated your reasons and some of us have disagreed with those reasons. Where, really, has anyone 'gotten nasty' with you?

To me, using religious beliefs as the 'reason' not to participate in the celebration of another's happiness is forcing those beliefs on others.

And, since the SCOTUS has previously stated that marriage is, not only a right, but one of the basic rights of man, referendums and laws are the wrong way to go in determining anyone else's rights. If you and I have a right, that means EVERYONE has that same right. If rights are things to be voted on, you'd better be careful that no one decides you shouldn't have the same rights as the rest of us.

Since being gay is no more a choice than being straight or being born with blue eyes or born with physical defects, you're being offensive once again.

Well, I apologize if you find my remarks disrespectful. But you have to know that I have found a lot of yours to be the same.
All of this is your opinion. You believe it's not a choice, I believe it is. Agree to disagree. You being a mother is definitely a lifestyle, nobody forced you to have kids.

It is flaming when everybody gangs up on one person who has posted something opposite of what they believe, and posting it in a way that is to try to make someone feel bad or recant their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,945,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Why was this thread started if people are just going to flame others who say no, they would not participate in the gay wedding?
of course they are going to flame you andrea,you me everyone else that doesnt agree with them that is why they started this thread to stir up controversy and flame people, they do it on every single thread on gays nothing new here.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,421,901 times
Quote:
All of this is your opinion. You believe it's not a choice, I believe it is. Agree to disagree.
You believe the earth is flat. Someone else believes the earth is round.

"Agree to disagree" only because there is no point in debating with someone who holds such a point of view, not because it is equally valid.

Sexual orientation is about as "chosen" as having a big nose, or being ugly. Or being born black or white. Can you do something about it? Sure, I suppose. Only if you go against your nature. Get a nose job, bleach your skin, suntan, get a face lift. But have you really changed the essence of your being?

Any person who touts the theory that being gay or bisexual is a choice is admitting that they have innate attraction to the same sex, and that only by their own conscious choice do they stop themselves from having relations with the same sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821
It is flaming when everybody gangs up on one person who has posted something opposite of what they believe, and posting it in a way that is to try to make someone feel bad or recant their beliefs.

Well Andrea, you just can't expect people to accept religious (in other words, little to no rational or logical foundation) beliefs as valid or deemed worthy of equal respect in a non-religious forum without challenge.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
Quote:
Nope. I don't believe it's right to be homosexual and therefore would not participate in any kind of wedding, whether I was walking down the aisle with a man or a woman as part of the wedding party.
I don't believe it's right to be left-handed either. No one can prove that being left-handed is normal.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:26 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,479,349 times
Quote:
All of this is your opinion. You believe it's not a choice, I believe it is. Agree to disagree. You being a mother is definitely a lifestyle, nobody forced you to have kids.

So you chose to be straight?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,360,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
So you chose to be straight?
Nobody has to choose to be straight, thats just normal but feel free to have your own opinion.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM

243 posts, read 275,020 times
No. I wouldn't.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,117,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You believe the earth is flat. Someone else believes the earth is round.

"Agree to disagree" only because there is no point in debating with someone who holds such a point of view, not because it is equally valid.

Sexual orientation is about as "chosen" as having a big nose, or being ugly. Or being born black or white. Can you do something about it? Sure, I suppose. Only if you go against your nature. Get a nose job, bleach your skin, suntan, get a face lift. But have you really changed the essence of your being?

Any person who touts the theory that being gay or bisexual is a choice is admitting that they have innate attraction to the same sex, and that only by their own conscious choice do they stop themselves from having relations with the same sex.

Well Andrea, you just can't expect people to accept religious (in other words, little to no rational or logical foundation) beliefs as valid or deemed worthy of equal respect in a non-religious forum without challenge.
Again, I will agree to disagree b/c it's not worth fighting about and that's not what the thread is about. I do not believe your opinion is valid but I will just agree to disagree with you about that. You're trying to put a spin on a phrase that is of no consequence to the topic at hand.

What "non-religious forum" are you talking about? You don't actually think nobody here is religious, right? This is about if you would go to a same sex wedding and participate, not about my religious views. I cited my religious views as a reason for why I gave the answer I did, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,841,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If a guy relative or friend was getting married to another guy and they asked you to be in the wedding, for the fellas, he wanted you to be a groomsman and you had to walk down the isle with another male who was a bridesmaid.

And ladies if you was to be a bridesmaid and you had to walk down with another woman would you do it??
Could I dress as a bridesmaid? Or would I have to wear a tux? Cuz I could ROCK a size 16 dress. And some pink pumps. Couldn't do heels.
I don't like heels.

OK, OK. I'll wear the damn heels. Not stripper heels, though. A man's got his pride.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,479,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Nobody has to choose to be straight, thats just normal but feel free to have your own opinion.
Of course no one chooses to be straight, myself included. Thats just how I am. Hence my point no one choose their sexual orientation, straight or gay, its just how they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies