Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,552,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No answer to that little conundrum for the Left.

I seem to recall their screeching and howling at Bush for "unlawful" detention of detainees. Well, obama has gone far beyond what Bush ever did and wouldn't you know, they are silent.

No, he's continuing a policy begun under Bush.

And, no I don't like it now any more than I did then. However, I must say that when stuff like this started to happen under Bush, and the right gave them a standing ovation, I made the remark that while they may trust Bush with such powers, they'd better stop and think about who may hold that power in the future. Once things like that get started, they don't end.

So, for those of you who thought it was a great thing when Bush did it, don't come around howling about Obama now. Your support of Bushs' extra-Constitutional actions made it possible for Obama to do the same things now.

In other words, you're complicit and bear a share of the guilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,986,148 times
The masses are asses. Our school systems teach pedantic government and sociology classes. Our anti-liberal and anti-truth colleges are even worse. What else can we expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So...you don't trust juries, a foundational principle of justice, or the Constitutionally mandated legal processes? The law is meaningless to you? "Screw determining guilt or innocence, let's just hang the bastards!" Right? "If they've been charged, they must be guilty!" Right?

Can you even BEGIN to understand just how un-American that is?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Well, they got their disaster alright.
And you're not cheering?

Miss your cue?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:15 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Why do you hate our COTUS so much? You seem to prefer mock courts that already have a verdict before the trial even begins. I can't think of anything more unAmerican than that; is it really a surprise you advocate it so much?
Miss this?

'Heads I Win, Tails You Lose': In 9/11 Case, KSM Won't Walk Free Even If Found Not Guilty - Newsweek

The very definition of a mock trial is what obama and holder are engaged in. If acquitted, they don't walk they are re-arrested and detained...indefinitely.

Do you dispute they said this?

What do you think of the mock trial, dog and pony show from obama and holder?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...released-in-us

I guess you MUST think obama and holder are the poster boys of UN-American then....right? I mean, there couldn't be any other conclusion based on your post above, right?

Quote:
Attorney General Eric Holder has pledged not to allow the release of dangerous detainees in the United States if they are found not guilty in federal court or if their case is thrown out on a technicality.
EPIC, CLASSIC, FAIL.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 PM

47,017 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
This says it all. You consider terrorists that blow up buildings to be civilians....
They are.

Quote:
and I'm sure you also want them to have every right under the US Constitution too.
They do.

This is the thing with principles: You don't get to claim them unless you live them. "Indefinite detention" is the kind of sh.t a Franco or Mussolini would come up with. Which is why countries like Spain and Italy try their terrorists in regular courts: They suffered through a hard lesson and learned from it. I suggest the US try to learn from their mistakes, as well. Holder is in the wrong.

Anyway, I thought the right-wing position was supposed to be one of defending the individual from government overreach, or is that another situational principle?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,469,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then why was he tried in new york city instead of washington DC?
I don't know why they chose NY, ask the federal prosecutor.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:12 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,552,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
I don't know why they chose NY, ask the federal prosecutor.

Each Federal District Court has jurisdiction over a specific geographical area. Some are assigned jurisdiction over foreign areas or off-shore American territory for cases which involve America or American's and which will be tried here.

For instance, the Miami Federal District Court has jurisdiction over cases arising in Panama, which is why Manuel Noriega was tried there. Another example is the District Court in Washington, DC. It has jurisdiction over Guantanamo Naval Station in Cuba and that's why GITMO related trials are held there.

The specifics of why this case was adjudicated in New York I cannot speak to, but that's how the system works.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,818 times
Why do we even bother taking these people alive? Just kill them and say they were holding a grenade or a gun or something. Who's going to give a beep if the SEALs or the Delta guys kill them?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,000,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is the thing with principles: You don't get to claim them unless you live them. "Indefinite detention" is the kind of sh.t a Franco or Mussolini would come up with. Which is why countries like Spain and Italy try their terrorists in regular courts: They suffered through a hard lesson and learned from it. I suggest the US try to learn from their mistakes, as well. Holder is in the wrong.

Anyway, I thought the right-wing position was supposed to be one of defending the individual from government overreach, or is that another situational principle?
So...you must be very, very upset with obama then...cause he has argued to the court that indefinite detention is something he is entitled to do.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 AM

4,170 posts, read 4,187,747 times
Quote:
A HUGE stain on obama and holder - out of 200+ counts, this terrorist was convicted of a lesser conspiracy charge.

Ex-Gitmo Detainee Ahmed Ghailani Cleared of All but One Charge in U.S. Embassy Bombings - FoxNews.com

Convicted of one charge of conspiracy to blow up a government building.

Ah gawds! Can this get any worse for the worst president in our history?
Thanks to you that we citizens here can be throw in behind bar because of government can charge us conspiracy to blow up a government building without warrant, and without evident.

Honestly, have you or anyone who support big government think why we get "terrorist" whenever the government want to increase it's power?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies