Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You and I could not buy this stock, but 60% was sold behind closed doors to Chinese investments. More of our money going out of our economy!

What is going on here?

Seriously??

What the hell is going on?

Do people not see our nations wealth and economy being sold off?
Let's have a link to a creditable source, sorry, but I've seen to many of your threads to take them at face value without some sort of supporting evidence. This is a very reasonable request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
I did a Google search, found some articles but none say what the OP states:

SAIC, China's Largest Automaker, To Invest In GM

Rattner and GM

NewsDaily: GM shares jump in post-IPO return to market

Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Use our money to build it up and then it is sold off to a majority of Chinese investments, in a private sale.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Use our money to build it up and then it is sold off to a majority of Chinese investments, in a private sale.
There have been a couple of people here asking you for your news source, are you ever going to post the URL or just post what you think your read in some web blog?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
True. But that is how typically the IPOs are done. An institution - in this case hired by GM - "shops" the market to evaluate how much demand there is for the stock in order to set the final offer price. During this shopping process, investors are sought. If someone has serious green, they can play. It is far less "private" or hush-hush than most people think. Again, to beileve the 60% number, I need to see a link.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'm still waiting on a link, the only thing I founds was a reference to Chinese automaker buying a ONE PERCENT stake in GM.
That is what I saw too. One percent. I also did not see anything saying that the public cannot buy GM. As far as I am aware you can pick them up any time you want.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I did a Google search, found some articles but none say what the OP states:

SAIC, China's Largest Automaker, To Invest In GM

Rattner and GM

NewsDaily: GM shares jump in post-IPO return to market
None of those even remotely say Chinese investors have bought 60% of the company and instead they say this:

Quote:
Not long after Chinese manufacturing partner SAIC announced plans to acquire approximately 1 percent of the company

Given that GM and SAIC have two joint ventures which are huge manufacturers in China (including the best selling luxury brand in China, which is Buick) it makes sense that SAIC would help support GM. That said 1% is really nothing.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:22 AM

China To Take Part In GM IPO

Quote:
Among the banks helping General Motors with its initial public stock offering next week are two identified by initials only: ICBC and CICC.

"We expect that a large and diverse group of institutional investors will be offered an opportunity to participate, with no single investor or group of investors receiving a disproportionate share or unusual treatment," the Treasury said in a recent statement.
The U.S. has become a popular haven for Chinese investors, second only to Australia in attracting Chinese stock investments, says Derek Scissors, a research fellow at conservative think-tank The Heritage Foundation. The first half of 2010 was a record year for China, Scissors says. China has sunk $45 billion into investments and engineering projects worldwide. About $1.6 billion of those investments came to the U.S.

Quote:
GM will receive no proceeds from the common stock offering. It plans to use the proceeds from the preferred offering to buy Series A preferred shares held by the U.S. Treasury and make contributions to its U.S. hourly and salaried pension plans.
Factbox: GM raises IPO price | Reuters

Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 AM

When I posted I had just heard it on Varney & Co.
Charles Paine was speaking.

There is a video in Fox business network
I don't know how to embed it here, they don't give an option of sharing it.

There will be more on it as the day goes on, to find a link.

They did make it clear this stock was not open to the public.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
GM will receive no proceeds from the common stock offering. It plans to use the proceeds from the preferred offering to buy Series A preferred shares held by the U.S. Treasury and make contributions to its U.S. hourly and salaried pension plans.

Yep, the bond holders and the UAW are not selling off their shares just yet and instead all of the IPO is selling are government shares so that the government is reducing it's holdings from 60% of GM to just 33% and gaining over $20 billion in exchange. That means the government will get another $20-$30 billion (depending on share prices) when it later sells off it's remaining 33%. When you include repayments and dividends GM has already paid the government this means the government is going to make a very healthy profit off of it's measures to save the US auto industry. This should be good news to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies