Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay TSA agents be allowed to give same-gender pat-downs?
Yes, they should be allowed 49 45.79%
No, they should not 55 51.40%
Not sure 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,328,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
The first week of November, I visited Santa Fe, NM and had to fly home.

On the return trip, I wore a sleeveless, cotton dress that falls below my knees with a long sweater over the dress. As I went through security, I removed my shoes and sweater to go through the metal detector.

I was pulled by a male TSA agent who said I had to be patted down because I was wearing a dress. At that time, I had never heard of the 'enhanced' pat down techniques.

There in front of God and everyone, a female TSA agent felt me up and I was stunned.

Evidently nothing I can do about this assault, but as a warning, don't wear a long dress. Evidently a long dress is a flag that a 50-year old woman going home on vacation with Christmas presents is a terrorist.

As there is no 'clearing house' of information, I thought I'd add this here!

You mean like this "old man" flying couldn't be a terrorist?

Passenger fools airline, airport security with grumpy old man Halloween mask

Profiling doesn't accomplish anything because there are lots of ways around fitting the profile if someone is determined to kill a bunch of Americans going home for the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,311,690 times
They used to have machines that took an air sample that was blown over you and tested it for chemical explosives. Why not use those instead of the virtual stripsearch machines? There is no radiation involved and they actually detect what needs to be detected. They don't need to rely on a guy watching the nude-o-scope and hope he is paying attention (which we will never know since he is alone in there). I suspect the reason is that the company who makes the stripsearch machines had the more successful lobbyists.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,777,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
The first week of November, I visited Santa Fe, NM and had to fly home.

On the return trip, I wore a sleeveless, cotton dress that falls below my knees with a long sweater over the dress. As I went through security, I removed my shoes and sweater to go through the metal detector.

I was pulled by a male TSA agent who said I had to be patted down because I was wearing a dress. At that time, I had never heard of the 'enhanced' pat down techniques.

There in front of God and everyone, a female TSA agent felt me up and I was stunned.

Evidently nothing I can do about this assault, but as a warning, don't wear a long dress. Evidently a long dress is a flag that a 50-year old woman going home on vacation with Christmas presents is a terrorist.

As there is no 'clearing house' of information, I thought I'd add this here!
At least it was a female TSA agent
Haven't been to an airport for quite a while, are there as many female agents as male ones these days? I assume the sex distribution among passengers is like that of society as a whole.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 AM

304 posts, read 889,679 times
What gets me is my camera bag with professional level DSLR, lenses, filters, and cords going through the x-ray has only once been searched (San Juan, PR).

But wear a long dress?! Yikes!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,968,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post

You mean like this "old man" flying couldn't be a terrorist?

Passenger fools airline, airport security with grumpy old man Halloween mask

Profiling doesn't accomplish anything because there are lots of ways around fitting the profile if someone is determined to kill a bunch of Americans going home for the holidays.
Oh yes let's all get frisked coming outside our homes and go through naked body scanners before we go into our cars, because someone might be tempted to rob and kill somebody that day right?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,233,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Think about a person that has been raped or molested having to go thru that
A good 40% of the kids I encounter meet that criteria and manage to not only get pat downs but cough and squat and are showered in. They manage.

A pat down is degrading and humiliating but it isn't necessary to take it to the extremes.

There has to be a balance between safety and hey----dude, get off me.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 AM

63 posts, read 37,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Since 911, racial profiling has routinely occurred at airports. Where was the huge outcry from liberals criticizing racial profiling of Middle Eastern, Indian, and Pakastani people at the time? Furthermore, where was the massive outcry from these targeted groups. Unlike Hispanics, you didn't see mass protests and marches from these groups complaining of being racially profiled at the airport. For the most part, these groups understood the issue was about safety.

Yet when it comes to racial profiling Hispanics in Arizona, there is a sudden double standard embraced by liberals and many Hispanics. All of a sudden, there are marches and boycotts of Arizona. The state was heavily criticized by the national media. Yet why is it okay for a TSA official to pull aside a person of Middle Eastern origin or one who appears to be of Middle Eastern origin yet it's not okay for a police officer to ask for proof of citizenship when pulling over someone they suspect of being in the country illegally? Both issues deal with security as Mexican violence and drug trade activity has escalated.

I fail to understand how it is appropriate to racially profile one group and not do the same with regard to another group. It's complete liberal hypocrisy and a double standard.
You haven't mentioned a single face. You mentioned a global region and two countries - none of which are "races". What "race" specifically and exaclty, do you feel is being profiled (not that I have a problem with it, but curious)?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 AM

292 posts, read 672,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I would be curious to know - of those who are really riled up over this, how many of them actually fly with any frequency?

With TSA in general over the years (regardless of what the current "checks" are), I have found that, for the most part, complaints regarding TSA generally come from the groundlings who maybe take only a few trips per year (if that), as opposed to from those who fly week in and week out.
Yeah, because those who only fly sometimes shouldn't have an opinion.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 AM

171 posts, read 317,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I would be curious to know - of those who are really riled up over this, how many of them actually fly with any frequency?....
This is the very kind of argument you are making now when you accused me of making strawman arguments. A person who never flies has the same right to protest these actions just as much as one who flies every day. Your question "presumes" to place a qualification on the person making the complaint. The point is the TSA has been given free run to trample on people's right of due process in that the government has no right to search people unless there is probable cause they are committing a crime.

I simply don't buy the argument the Federal Govenment can force you to submit simply because you walk into a city owned airport to fly on a commercial airline. In fact, as mentioned above, you are not subject to these searches if you use the private facilities reserved for plane owners and their guests. I certainly don't mind walking through a metal scanner, but letting the TSA, a huge fat government bureaucracy make these decisions in a unilateral fashion, goes too far. IMO, the TSA and Homeland Security should be disbanded and protection given to the local law enforcement agencies.

We all pay taxes to support this nonsense, and since the claim is that it makes us more safe, presumably because a jet plane won't be flying into a building we are in, then every citizen has the right to demand that it be done with a bit of common sense and without intruding on our rights.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,311,690 times
These guys were the D- students or even dropouts (only need a GED as the OP stated). These guys shouldn't even be handling the bags let alone be in a position of authority over anyone. Remember hte expression "The world needs ditchdiggers too"? Well, these guys are the ditchdiggers of the information age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies