Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:22 AM

465 posts, read 464,224 times

Advertisements

A common theme I see on these threads is that most city-data members basically hate poor people. They see poor people as lazy, worthless scumbags of no value.

They have little or no interest in helping poor people. Have very little empathy or compassion. And basically just want to ignore the issue.

What's up with that???

I'm pretty sure most of you all who hate poor people are Christians. You should probably go back and re-read some of Jesus' quotes about helping the poor.

I've been living away from the US for a while and I forgot about this American hatred for poor people. The coments on city-data on this topic are shocking to me after not hearing this kind of talk for so long.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,196,890 times
What's the surprise?
Hatred is an American family value, a virtue.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
No, I don't think so. I think we're reaching a tipping point.

47% of Americans pay no Federal income tax..they get back all if not more than they paid in.
That leaves 53% of Americans carrying the weight. Many of those 53% are barely keeping their heads above water financially..costs going up, hours cut, pay cut, etc.

This path we're on cannot sustain us. Something is going to give. Frustration is building.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, I don't think so. I think we're reaching a tipping point.

47% of Americans pay no Federal income tax..they get back all if not more than they paid in.
That leaves 53% of Americans carrying the weight. Many of those 53% are barely keeping their heads above water financially..costs going up, hours cut, pay cut, etc.

This path we're on cannot sustain us. Something is going to give. Frustration is building.
I think you should be directing your hostiliy at the system in general and the governement. Not poor people.

The government is wasting trillions of dollars but you all are angry at the poor janitor and teacher down the street for paying a thousand dollars less per year.

Poor people still pay tons of taxes. Sales tax, property tax or rent, etc. They are being squeezed pretty hard out of their nickels and dimes already.

Let's get real here.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What's the surprise?
Hatred is an American family value, a virtue.
I hate to say it but i'm really starting to see that too.

American forums and chat rooms are just full of hate, arguements, slander, egomanical debates, bigotry.......

The people in the past few countries i've lived in have not even come close to the same levels of hatred that you will see coming out of the mouths of many Americans.

The American character is very aggressive and angry in general. And they love to direct hatred at someone or something. The love to see somebody as "the enemy".

Sad but true.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,873,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
A common theme I see on these threads is that most city-data members basically hate poor people. They see poor people as lazy, worthless scumbags of no value.

They have little or no interest in helping poor people. Have very little empathy or compassion. And basically just want to ignore the issue.

What's up with that???

I'm pretty sure most of you all who hate poor people are Christians. You should probably go back and re-read some of Jesus' quotes about helping the poor.

I've been living away from the US for a while and I forgot about this American hatred for poor people. The coments on city-data on this topic are shocking to me after not hearing this kind of talk for so long.
Basically, it's because they have no idea what to do to change the situation. That makes it much easier to vilify those that are disadvantaged in stead of thinking of solutions to the problem.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
I think you should be directing your hostiliy at the system in general and the governement. Not poor people.

The government is wasting trillions of dollars but you all are angry at the poor janitor and teacher down the street for paying a thousand dollars less per year.

Poor people still pay tons of taxes. Sales tax, property tax or rent, etc. They are being squeezed pretty hard out of their nickels and dimes already.

Let's get real here.
I definitely agree the system is at fault. The government is so big it's become ineffective. They don't even know where or to whom their money is going.

My frustration is at the government for it's ineffective and wasteful spending of our tax dollars. I think it could be better managed at a local level (city/state) and have a better chance of the dollars being accounted for.

The more layers of government you add to a problem..the less of your tax dollars get to the problem. Remember that you have to pay the salaries of the people at each of the levels before it gets to who really needs it.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,847,139 times
You see just as much hatred for rich people on this board.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 AM

17,452 posts, read 14,686,180 times
I don't hate poor people.

I dislike people who game the system.

I also don't care for people who have entitlement issues.

But I really can't stand people who want to take more of the money I work for and give it to either of the groups of people I mentioned above.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
You see just as much hatred for rich people on this board.
That's not what i've seen. I posted another thread about how maybe billionares should help out poor people more, and I got verbally assaulted by about 20 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies