Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
This whole concept of "drug testing" goes against our liberties anyway. If a person wants to take drugs it should be their right as a human being in my opinion. Why does the law need to step in?

"Pee in this cup to prove you aren't taking the devil's drugs!"

We need to step out of the dark ages with this nonsense. Doctors are handing out boatloads of drugs. So many drugs that we poisoning fish from expired prescription drugs getting flushed down the toilet.

Society's views on drugs are backwards, crude, and illogical. People are waking up and realizing this though. We arbitrarily ban and allow different drugs to be taken. It's just stupid.
They should be allowed to refuse being tested but then would not get welfare handouts. It's that simple.

I also think the welfare class should be offered free sterilizations - also a choice but if they don't want to be sterilized, then they don't get welfare handouts.

There should be SOMETHING expected of the government dependents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 08:34 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
What do you do for a living sir? Are you sure it's not "living off the earnings of others"? Let me know so you can be accountable. In the meantime, pay your taxes cheapskate.
I own a business. The people who spend money with me are doing so voluntarily. You on the other hand work for the government. You are taking money from me only because you can threaten me with prison or even death if I don't pay. That's what criminals do. But that's what minions of the government are.

I've noticed that government employment runs in families. I've read numerous times that an individual convicted of a felony is very likely to have a father who has been convicted of a felony. We could greatly improve society by sterilizing criminals upon conviction and government workers upon their entry into that life of crime.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
Please explain how exactly legalizing drugs would help society. I'm not totally dissing the idea, but would like some further explanation.

As far as those who abuse/use drugs - I would say that a lot of them are good people who are lost and need help getting free from their addiction. what's unfortunate is that the system that is set up to supposedly help people with addictions, often doesn't due to lack of funding and thinking outside the "box".

I do totally agree with the poster regarding welfare recipients and unemployment checks getting regular drug testing and if they test positive for illegal drugs, they should be cut off or given a probationary period. Why? It's not about them being scumbags, it's about people who are supposedly so poor that they need government (taxpayer) money in order to survive. How about quitting their drug habit in order to save money, eh? Actually, they should also test them for nicotine and alcohol, as both of those are quite pricey as well and not the bare minimum necessities. If you are getting govt handouts, you should be at a place where you need help surviving - meaning food, clothing, shelter - not the ability to continue to buy your daily weed need or cig fix or daily booze dose. What happens if they test positive? Put the money that would be spent on welfare or unemployment and put them through addiction treatment program. Of course, we'd have to fix the addiction/mental health field first, but...
I'm afraid to say that having healthy productive wage earning citizens isn't really in the governments best monitary interests ..

Since the 60's, when LBJ created the largest dependency class on the planet, having poor, addicted, and down-trodden citizens was a must .. the programs that were legislated back in those days couldn't exist without the dope-heads, alchoholics, and the homeless.

Think of all of the "government jobs" that would be lost if folks ran around getting off of drugs and cleaning themselves up ..

Think of all of the hospitals and clinics that would have to lay people off as a result of a lower overdose rate, or all of the rehabs that might have to shut down for the lack of clients ..

Just imagine all of the lower taxes, insurance rates, and increased productivity that might happen as a result of people kicking the drug habit ..

Nope .. drug testing welfare recipients won't ever happen .. the government would just have too much to lose if they did it .. and the American people would have way too much to gain if they did ..

Old 11-21-2010, 09:07 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Let's hold them accountable. If any government employee shows traces of drugs, discharge the employee and prosecute. Do the same for food stamp and other welfare recipients. Let's even include people receiving unemployment benefits.

When people live off the earnings of others, they deserve to be treated as second class citizens.

Why not test anyone who gets the benefit of government.
And lock those up that fail.

You are part of one of those groups, and might be part of the other.
Do you still want to go that route?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
Please explain how exactly legalizing drugs would help society. I'm not totally dissing the idea, but would like some further explanation.

As far as those who abuse/use drugs - I would say that a lot of them are good people who are lost and need help getting free from their addiction. what's unfortunate is that the system that is set up to supposedly help people with addictions, often doesn't due to lack of funding and thinking outside the "box".

I do totally agree with the poster regarding welfare recipients and unemployment checks getting regular drug testing and if they test positive for illegal drugs, they should be cut off or given a probationary period. Why? It's not about them being scumbags, it's about people who are supposedly so poor that they need government (taxpayer) money in order to survive. How about quitting their drug habit in order to save money, eh? Actually, they should also test them for nicotine and alcohol, as both of those are quite pricey as well and not the bare minimum necessities. If you are getting govt handouts, you should be at a place where you need help surviving - meaning food, clothing, shelter - not the ability to continue to buy your daily weed need or cig fix or daily booze dose. What happens if they test positive? Put the money that would be spent on welfare or unemployment and put them through addiction treatment program. Of course, we'd have to fix the addiction/mental health field first, but...
I agree.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A core american value is personal choice. Sorry, but this is an invasion of privacy.
If they don't like it, they are free to choose to get a job instead of taking the handout.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 AM

202 posts, read 352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Living where they ALMOST legalized pot doesn't mean you know anything. Weird that you would think that.

Well I guess you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills because you failed to read the last part of the sentence where I clearly stated that I've lived in a place where it HAS BEEN LEGALIZED. I was referring to two different places. Apparently you should brush up your literacy skillz b4 u start responding to posts. (Is that ezier to read 4 u?)

Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
I rode by a liquor store today that accepts WIC? What?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
I think a lot of people in this thread are looking at this in a sort of Utopian way.

Sometimes you have to forget how things work in a perfect world and just be realistic about human nature.

People do drugs. And if someone is broke and struggling they probably will drink a little bit or get a little high to feel good. That's just human nature.

It seems like it's another righteous battle that's doomed to fail. Controlling people's drug intake is almost always a losing battle. It's Utopian, it denies human nature.
So NomadRefugee, apparently you are totally okay with the welfare recipients being tweekers - you know going to the government for help to pay their bills because they can't afford to since they're spending it all on meth and can't get or hold down a job because they are high on that meth. Maybe you aren't a taxpayer in the U.S. and that would explain your imbicile indifference.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I rode by a liquor store today that accepts WIC? What?
Wow, really? Now that just further nails the point home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies