Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 03:23 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,857 times

Advertisements

The generalizations in this thread about black people never cease to amaze me. LOL! As is any of you know any black people on a personal level. smh
Anyway, I will never support Michael Vick. I don't care how much time he served, what he does for any community, blah,blah,blah. I feel like anyone who is capable of holding a dog down and pulling its teeth out, drowning and torturing them ( a living organism), is on the same level as a serial killer who gets off murdering humans . For me a person who does these things has no SOUL whatsoever. Bye Vick, bye....

Old 11-25-2010, 11:23 PM

240 posts, read 443,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvilleslugger View Post
lol Dude the stories go way past the 1960's. My neighbor is 97 years old and can recount the experiences of black refugees who moved to my very street from the 1923 Tulsa race riot in which a white mob and the Tulsa police shot at random blacks from airplanes and burned Tulsa's "black Wallstreet" to the ground. Over 300 blacks were murdered in cold blood with no repercussions because of a white girls lie.

No a type of "damn we went through some BS when I was coming up, yall have it good" attitude.

So it's ok for older white folk to recount the "good ole times" (Pre civil rights era), but it's "sad" when the older black folk recounts when they couldn't go shopping at the local mall because of the color of their skin during those "good ole days". There is a double standard at work here.

History is History dude. You have to take the good with the bad!

SMH you're reaching a little too far. This can be dispelled by the Shirley Sherriod incident earlier this year. This older black woman has a legit reason to dislike white people, since her own father was murdered by the klan when she was a little girl. None the less while it stayed in her memory she was still able to mature enough to realize that most white people were good people and she didn't allow that major incident in her life to allow her to show prejudice to white farmers with her position in the her line of work.

I personally can't speak on how the older generations of blacks should feel about this, and neither can any of you who have never been in their shoes. I can however say with certainty that the general black attitude towards whites has progressed from my grandmother to my mothers generation, and from my mother's generation to my own. Again as I stated earlier it was less than half a century ago when blacks when black citizenship in this country was not valued, THIS IS NOT THAT LONG AGO!
Dude you are right. History is history. The truth should be studied. Original sources should be stressed. I'm not the least bit interested in reading some "textbook" that has been tainted with the bias of the editor!

I guess one of my points that you seemed to miss based on your response is that it would be nice if we LEARNED from history. People don't "learn the lesson" of history if they don't first KNOW history. But dwelling on that same history does nothing to move society forward.

My grandmother was in a concentration camp. I could sit around and tell my kids about that but I choose not to. What would be the point? So my kids can carry that resentment forward and distrust and dislike all German ppl? See the point yet dude?? Some ppl who claim that they are trying to get over racism from the past are merely harboring resentment. That is what I meant by fanning the flames of racism and the memories of the past.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:34 PM

240 posts, read 443,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Unfortunately, it's a lot deeper than your analysis here. The reality is that the current lot of whites is the result of an unspeakable evil committed on an entire race of black people for economic gain. Successive generations of descendants of whites benefited. Successive generations of descendents of slaves were negatively impacted. Such evil and subjugation had the effect of placing whites in this society at a higher vantage point than blacks. This has meant and continues to mean that whites enjoy an unearned privilege simply because of the color of their skin. Check the covers of the magazines at stands at ANY store to see this. The privilege is unearned because the color of the skin is the guiding factor, not the superiority of the race, the higher moral stand, the greater compassion, greater intellect, greater creativity, greater depth and versatility, or greater talent. As a result of the past, whites enjoy far greater consideration today than black people. Every black person travels further in an attempt to achieve equal status. A black lawyer has a far harder time of it than his white counterpart, beginning with taking the LSAT, then going through law school, then passing the bar exam, then being accepted and respected as a lawyer in a profession that has been called "the whitest profession." His white counterpart has it far easier. He takes the LSAT among people who look just like him. The test itself was written by people who look just like him. He attends law school with people who look just like him and it is more than likely that his professors look like him. He prepares for and takes the bar exam surrounded by people who look like him, then proceeds to job interviews and law firm work with people who look just like him. His road is far easier and he progresses through life with a "warm fuzzy" feeling, his only hardships being his own personal vices. Society prefers him because of the unearned privilege, a result of past events.

So when you talk to your kids, you do them a disservice if you don't reveal this reality. Being indifferent to this only makes you part of the problem. The shameful tragedy that has been perpetuated for centuries unfortunately finds its continuation in the conservative ideology. Conservatives work very hard to protect that "unearned privilege." Faced with a country that is increasingly comprised of minority people, they released a segment of their party to "take this country back" under the guise of "Christian values." The party does not denounce or reject members who could also be a part of the Klan. Bigots find a home in the party. Instead of seeking solutions to the inequities that have been perpetuated by bigots to the detriment of blacks for centuries, the Conservative party prefers to brand blacks as inferior, prone to criminal activities, and needing entitlements to succeed. Conservatives practice discrimination against blacks as a matter of course, then pretend it no longer exists to justify that pathetic "reverse racism" concept.

More and more blacks are doing well, despite the inequities, but this doesn't mean they no longer exist. Anyone who has spent any time around black people know that blacks are an extraordinary gifted people. The fear and insecurity that fails to acknowledge and recognize this is this society's greatest problem. Every effort should be made to uncover and eliminate bigotry by whites against black people. Whites like the Kennedys for instance have the superior position here and represent the solution. People like Beck and Palin obviously aggravate the problem. So recognize this.

If Vick and OJ are supported, it's because they are members of a race that is given the least of consideration, a race that has struggled to progress in a society where people would breathe a sigh of relief if blacks would simply disappear.
I think much of what you have written is nonsense. I don't think blacks are any more gifted, as a race of people, than whites or any other race for that matter. If you perennially view yourself as a "victim" then you will be one! The teacher appears when the student is ready! Meanwhile, there are plenty of conservative black people in America.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:07 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Unfortunately, it's a lot deeper than your analysis here. The reality is that the current lot of whites is the result of an unspeakable evil committed on an entire race of black people for economic gain. Successive generations of descendants of whites benefited. Successive generations of descendents of slaves were negatively impacted. Such evil and subjugation had the effect of placing whites in this society at a higher vantage point than blacks. This has meant and continues to mean that whites enjoy an unearned privilege simply because of the color of their skin. Check the covers of the magazines at stands at ANY store to see this. The privilege is unearned because the color of the skin is the guiding factor, not the superiority of the race, the higher moral stand, the greater compassion, greater intellect, greater creativity, greater depth and versatility, or greater talent. As a result of the past, whites enjoy far greater consideration today than black people. Every black person travels further in an attempt to achieve equal status. A black lawyer has a far harder time of it than his white counterpart, beginning with taking the LSAT, then going through law school, then passing the bar exam, then being accepted and respected as a lawyer in a profession that has been called "the whitest profession." His white counterpart has it far easier. He takes the LSAT among people who look just like him. The test itself was written by people who look just like him. He attends law school with people who look just like him and it is more than likely that his professors look like him. He prepares for and takes the bar exam surrounded by people who look like him, then proceeds to job interviews and law firm work with people who look just like him. His road is far easier and he progresses through life with a "warm fuzzy" feeling, his only hardships being his own personal vices. Society prefers him because of the unearned privilege, a result of past events.

So when you talk to your kids, you do them a disservice if you don't reveal this reality. Being indifferent to this only makes you part of the problem. The shameful tragedy that has been perpetuated for centuries unfortunately finds its continuation in the conservative ideology. Conservatives work very hard to protect that "unearned privilege." Faced with a country that is increasingly comprised of minority people, they released a segment of their party to "take this country back" under the guise of "Christian values." The party does not denounce or reject members who could also be a part of the Klan. Bigots find a home in the party. Instead of seeking solutions to the inequities that have been perpetuated by bigots to the detriment of blacks for centuries, the Conservative party prefers to brand blacks as inferior, prone to criminal activities, and needing entitlements to succeed. Conservatives practice discrimination against blacks as a matter of course, then pretend it no longer exists to justify that pathetic "reverse racism" concept.

More and more blacks are doing well, despite the inequities, but this doesn't mean they no longer exist. Anyone who has spent any time around black people know that blacks are an extraordinary gifted people. The fear and insecurity that fails to acknowledge and recognize this is this society's greatest problem. Every effort should be made to uncover and eliminate bigotry by whites against black people. Whites like the Kennedys for instance have the superior position here and represent the solution. People like Beck and Palin obviously aggravate the problem. So recognize this.

If Vick and OJ are supported, it's because they are members of a race that is given the least of consideration, a race that has struggled to progress in a society where people would breathe a sigh of relief if blacks would simply disappear.
I agree with everything you said EXCEPT why you think Vick & OJ are supported . . . the reason you site might be valid, but I think it is probably unconscious . . . I wonder if most black people realize why they would support people of despicable character, just because they share the same skin color . . .it is definitely not rational.

Everything else you said is spot on but for some reason, most white people have not acknowledged, let alone processed their innate racism . . . based on the privilege they enjoy but have not earned . . . they (and me cuz I'm white) just GET an elevated status in the world. Because whites are just born into this privilege, there is no way to automatically realize it . . . whites have to "unlearn white privilege" . . .

Honestly, I wonder if on a message board like this if anyone EVER gets an "aha" on these types of issues. The really overtly racist people don't care, the crew that thinks that blacks are just playing victim have made up their mind and seem to have some kind of chip on their shoulders, who knows why. It would be awesome if they actually said the reason they are so close-minded. Like maybe they had a traumatic experience with a black person or maybe they are scared of black people, or maybe their parents were openly racist and they learned it in their homes. It would be very interesting to hear what they might have to say about their lack of empathy or insight into the cultural realities of both the plight of blacks and the soul injuries they suffered at the hands of whites, and the elevation of whites due to the atrocities of slavery.

It feels like most whites don't even think slavery was much of an issue . . .it feels like it is perceived as a fairytale and not a reality.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:31 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
The generalizations in this thread about black people never cease to amaze me. LOL! As is any of you know any black people on a personal level. smh
Anyway, I will never support Michael Vick. I don't care how much time he served, what he does for any community, blah,blah,blah. I feel like anyone who is capable of holding a dog down and pulling its teeth out, drowning and torturing them ( a living organism), is on the same level as a serial killer who gets off murdering humans . For me a person who does these things has no SOUL whatsoever. Bye Vick, bye....
Yeah, I agree with you. I don't understand how anyone could hurt an animal, much less be so brutal and barbaric with them. Posts from people like you help to keep the rest of us from being tempted to generalize, so thanks for that.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Yeah, I agree with you. I don't understand how anyone could hurt an animal, much less be so brutal and barbaric with them. Posts from people like you help to keep the rest of us from being tempted to generalize, so thanks for that.
Not excusing Michael Vick's behavior (and as an animal lover I was disgusted) but there are many people who commit serious crimes against children who are not "punished" as harshly as Michael Vick was for the animal abuse.

I never ceases to amaze me that many people will step over a hungry, abused and/or homeless child to rescue a stray cat.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:59 AM

799 posts, read 1,095,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Sorry. In your original post, you indicated that you were "teaching and educating" youth...

Good luck to you.
Meant to say I [would rather] teach and educate. Either way I can still teach and educate my peers (the youth)

Quote:
Uh, no, how about I give YOU a quick history report: RODNEY KING WAS A CRIMINAL THUG WHO RESISTED POLICE ARREST. Police needed to subdue him. When the entire video was viewed by jurors, it told a different story than the usual hogwash about how some poor black man was getting the living daylights beaten out of him by mean old police.

Good Lord. Talk about delusional!!!
All the police had to use was mase and taser, and maybe a tackle and pin method, not the usage of of batons and punches to the excess. This happened and still happens all across the US like I said. If it was just an isolated incident that happened to Rodney the riots would have at the most been a protest or a call for the NAACP.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I never ceases to amaze me that many people will step over a hungry, abused and/or homeless child to rescue a stray cat.
Wow, I've never seen that, nor have I ever heard of it happening.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:39 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Wow, I've never seen that, nor have I ever heard of it happening.
I actually saw PETA protesters (awhile ago in Santa Monica, of course) who were protesting animal cruelty and yet there were quite a few homeless people in the immediate area that could have used the same level of advocacy.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
This question could easily be flipped to ask "Why Do Whites Support Roger Clemens and Bill Romanowski"

Bonds endured far more punishment than Clemens ever did even though Clemens is just as big of a Hall of Fame player and Clemens had more evidence to indict him.

Bill Romanowski ended a player's career during practice in which he took his helmet off and beat him so severely it fractured his orbital bone. Romo was never suspended nor did he meet any scrutiny from the media. Romo was never accused of using steroids by the media even though he should. NBA Kermit Washington was permanently banned from the NBA for punching Rudy Tomjanovich in the face in the 1970's yet 30 years later Romo was not even punished for doing the same thing.

The race card can be played both ways hence the reason people shouldn't play them at all and just stick to the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies