Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 03:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

"President Barack Obama’s administration has bought almost a fourth of the Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. hybrid vehicles sold since he took office, accelerating federal purchases as consumer demand wanes. The government is boosting investment in a technology that has failed to win broad acceptance after more than a decade in the marketplace. Consumer sales of hybrids are headed for their third consecutive yearly decline. Toyota Motor Corp. sold the first hybrid Prius in Japan in 1997 and Honda Motor Co. introduced the first hybrid to the U.S. in 1999. Total U.S. hybrid sales since then have been about 1.8 million, or about 1 percent of the 175 million cars and trucks sold during that period."

Obama Bolsters U.S. Hybrid Automobile Sales in Waning Consumer Market - Bloomberg

[b]So, if hybrids have been ignored by the general public, should the federal government keep buying them and sinking taxpayer dollars into them?[/B] The feds used $300 million of stimulus money to pay for their hybrid fleet. Plus, he's committing more money to the plug-ins:

"Obama has set a goal of 1 million plug-in vehicles on the road by 2015 and has committed more than $11 billion in taxpayer funding to help support the technology."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
There was a 2-year waiting list when I wanted to buy a hybrid.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:08 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Epic fail. The chevy volt has won the honor of the most covenant award in automobiles, the motor trend 2011 car of the year.

2011 Motor Trend Car of the Year - 2011 Chevrolet Volt - Motor Trend

Old 11-26-2010, 05:09 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
In 1984 I bought a car that got 45 MPG on the highway. It was a Nissan Pulsar NX.
In 1986 I bought a car that never failed to deliver less than 50 mpg. A Honda CRX HF.
Today if your car gets 35MPG its something special.
A Hybrid requires a whole lot of mechanics and engineering to deliver what simple cars did in the 1980's.
By the way those cars I owned, niether of them cost more than $8500.00. Both were fun to drive and never had a breakdown in the years I owned them. I owned that Pulsar until 1995.
So cars produce lower emmissions but require 25% more fuel to do it.
Hybrids still don't approach the numbers of the Honda CRX and cost $20,000.00 more dollars.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:41 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Why shouldn't the federal government buy hyrbids?

As for we normal folks? Hybrids won't take off until the manufacturers solve two problems:

1. Range. The very limited range of those things just doesn't interest those of us who don't live in compacted urban areas where everything is close at hand

2. Price: They must think we're idiot's who are willing to more than top dollar to be "green." What's the point of having one if the initial price is so high it eats up the prospective savings in gas?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:51 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Epic fail. The chevy volt has won the honor of the most covenant award in automobiles, the motor trend 2011 car of the year.

2011 Motor Trend Car of the Year - 2011 Chevrolet Volt - Motor Trend
The point isn't whether the cars are good or bad. It's that the public has no appetite for them. The same article in the original post says:

"The government purchased about 64 percent of GM’s Chevy Malibu hybrid models and 29 percent of all Ford Fusion hybrids manufactured since Obama took office in 2009, the data show. GM stopped making the Malibu hybrid in 2009 after lack of consumer demand."

Old 11-26-2010, 05:55 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

As for we normal folks? Hybrids won't take off until the manufacturers solve two problems:

1. Range. The very limited range of those things just doesn't interest those of us who don't live in compacted urban areas where everything is close at hand

2. Price: They must think we're idiot's who are willing to more than top dollar to be "green." What's the point of having one if the initial price is so high it eats up the prospective savings in gas?
You forgot lack of public access docking/recharging stations. I'm in the market for a new car right now. I looked into hybrids, but the cost and lack of places to recharge them turned me off.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:

Limited range? The Prius can go over 400 miles on a tank of gas. The Camry and Fusion hybrids can go over 500 miles on one fill-up. How much more range do you want??

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You forgot lack of public access docking/recharging stations. I'm in the market for a new car right now. I looked into hybrids, but the cost and lack of places to recharge them turned me off.
Hybrids don't need recharge stations.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There was a 2-year waiting list when I wanted to buy a hybrid.
Yeah, I'm glad we got our '06 Prius when we did. Great car.

Quote:

1. Your comment about range is right on the mark for electric vehicles. But true hybrids, using both gas-fueled engines and hybrids batteries, have ranges comparable to gas-only vehicles. For example, in driving the Prius from DC to Boston (and getting 50+ mpg while doing so), I stop once for gas in northern Jersey ... the same stop I've made on the trip with every vehicle I've owned. If our Prius (11.9 gallon gas tank) had a gas tank as big as the one in our minivan, I wouldn't need to stop at all (in fact, I really don't need to stop - I could make the trip on one tank of gas, but early on I developed the habit of not letting the gas gauge on ANY vehicle I drove get too low).

2. Hybrids cost more, but there's a catch. The Prius we bought in '06 cost less than the vehicle we traded in for it ... and costs less to insure, and maintain, and for sure costs less to drive. As the technology improves, the costs to manufacture hybrid components will come down. We've seen that already with sharply reduced prices for replacement hybrid batteries.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:12 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Hybrids don't need recharge stations.
For electric and plug-in hybrids you do. Don't hurt yourself with all those headsmacks.

Hybrid charging stations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies