Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How does one defend oneself from the Federal government by firing on an American fort in an act of naked rebellion?

I eagerly await your response.
By having already extracted a promise from the commander of said fort to evacuate, which was later retracted, and by advising the commander of one's intentions so that those occupying the fort could safely stay in sections not being bombarded. The attack on Fort Sumter was reckless and an exercise in bad judgment, but the act of secession had been carried out months before, and at the time it was not just a point of contention between the South and the North whether secession was rebellion or not, it was a legal matter that the sitting President did not want decided in the court system, since Taney's Supreme Court in all likelihood would have ruled for the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptdddQB6M9I

Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Exactly!!

The libs like to try to re-write history so that they can cry racism and a host of other pathetic things. It is getting so old!

My husband joined a local branch of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and I cannot say enough good about the group. It is truly about heritage. I am so sick of people trying to make it all about slavery and racisim. The fact that the NAACP is getting involved in the upcoming celebrations to protest - let alone the fact that the NAACP is even a recognized organization - is racism at its finest.

I am looking forward to the upcoming Sons of Confederate Veterans events in my town!
The sons of the Confederate Veterans may be about heritage. However, slavery was a component of the Civil War. The abolitionists, "Bleeding Kansas", the Underground Railroad, the whole nine yards. To deny the slavery side of it is to deny reality.

948 posts, read 1,386,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Slavery wasn't the only reason you know, stop oversimplifying it. And in a way, they were defending themselves from the North.
Please read the Nebraska Kansas act and take another look at that statement

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Slavery was incidental to the cause of the Civil War but was used as an economic weapon against the South. By freeing the slaves the South lost a huge amount of collateral they could have pledged to foreigners for loans to buy weapons and ammunition.

My own opinion on slavery is simple; if I can own a human being then someone can own me. If someone tries to enforce his claim on me I will be honor bound to kill them regardless of the law.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
As Lincoln himself said,he had no lawful right to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists....

Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The sons of the Confederate Veterans may be about heritage. However, slavery was a component of the Civil War. The abolitionists, "Bleeding Kansas", the Underground Railroad, the whole nine yards. To deny the slavery side of it is to deny reality.

No one is trying to deny slavery was a part of what was happening EVERYWHERE at the time. I am saying I am sick and tired of idiots trying to make it all about slavery.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How does one defend oneself from the Federal government by firing on an American fort in an act of naked rebellion?

I eagerly await your response.
Being that, the U.S. Government would not see Confederate diplomats, didn't pave the road to peace or reunification.

[LEFT]Not surprisingly, Roman, Forsyth, and Crawford—who arrived in Washington in early March—had no success there. Seward refused to meet with the commissioners or to arrange a meeting with Lincoln, which they had requested. Unwilling, however, to antagonize the agents, Seward maintained contact through a third party. He assured the Confederates that the Union would not attempt to coerce the seceded states into returning to the Union and still hoped that a peaceful reunion was possible. On 8 April, after a month of waiting impatiently and distrusting Seward's assurance of Lincoln's commitment to the maintenance of peace, Crawford informed Davis of rumors that Lincoln was committed to war. A few days later the three Confederates returned home.

Read more: Confederate agents in washington and europe - Civil War Diplomacy
[/LEFT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
Please read the Nebraska Kansas act and take another look at that statement
The South had seen that the North was trying to tip the political favor into their hands, making them irrelevent in their own country, and that's no good.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
No one is trying to deny slavery was a part of what was happening EVERYWHERE at the time. I am saying I am sick and tired of idiots trying to make it all about slavery.
*** EVERYWHERE? I don't think so. See this:

Northern Emancipation
The American Revolution was the death knell of Northern slavery.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:00 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
As Lincoln himself said,he had no lawful right to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists....
What you seem to forget is that Lincoln[govenment] was not King. It was/is the People that choose the course of change. If the People Of the US wanted slavery to end; and were working to that end...then the constitution sets forth steps to acomplish that change "legally". What the South did was claim states rights...then tried to leave the Union, by means other that afforded the "people" in the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies