Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
In general, I agree with this. Originally, insurance was simply hospital insurance. You paid for outpatient expenditures but your insurance company paid for your inpatient expenditures. Believe me, today it is not difficult to generate a $50,000 hospital bill. Most people couldn't pay that easily.

One of the big problems today is that the existence of insurance contributes to doctor's salaries. They charge more because they can get more. If we were to scrap the idea and just pay out of pocket for everything, we would need to have a discussion about doctors' fees. Does a particular doctor really need to be making $400,000 annually, or under a different market without insurance companies, would something closer to $200,000 be more appropriate? Regardless of whether or not doctors are overpaid, the current system makes your proposal cost-prohibitive for many at the moment. The AMA is a huge lobby, and doctors have no interest in getting rid of the middle man because it means they can charge more.

I'm not sure I agree with this entirely. It seems to me that they charge more to make up for the huge discounts insurance companies are imposing on them. Both win! That way, the insurance company can send me a statement that says they "saved" me 67% of the total bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwind View Post
What the point? Insurance mafia is an oligopoly. They ALL raise rates in tandem - the comsumers have no choice. Much like the utility industry.
Actually, it's highly regulated. They can't just decide to raise rates.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suppose they are just getting while the getting is still good. I hope we replace the entire private insurance system with government sponsered single payer health care as soon as possible. We do not need private insurance over head costing us money that could be better spent on care.
I couldn’t agree more with you! Remember when doctors and hospitals served the public in the days before “for profit health care” ? The health care system is broken and we need to return to the days when “greed” wasn’t a factor. Health care for profit simply allows for gross profits at the suffering of people, it simply isn’t morally right.

Remove the greed and have government single payer health care is the only solution.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, doctors and hospitals charge more to make up the loss they get from accepting Medicaid, Medicare and Tri-Care patients. Insurance rises to stay on top of the doctors rise in cost, forced on them by our government policies.

Put the blame squarely where it belongs, please!
Ding ding ding.. we have a winner..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Not quite.

Insurance companies try their hardest to get out of paying any bill. Often, they underpay. From a purely business standpoint, this makes sense for them. This has nothing to do with government policies. A large hospital writes off tens of thousands of dollars a day in bills that really should have been paid. Providers have no legal recourse against this because if you sue an insurance company, you might get paid, but then the insurance company simply says their customers can't go to you anymore, and boom, you've both lost and angered a bunch of your customers. It is true a majority of providers' revenues comes from the private insurance industry, BUT that doesn't mean they don't contribute in a large way to rising health care costs.

Additionally, insurance companies LIKE government involvement in the business because it gives them an excuse not to pay for things. Increasingly insurance companies use the fact the Medicare doesn't pay for certain procedures and charges as an excuse that they shouldn't pay for certain procedures or charges, despite the fact that Medicare wasn't designed to be all-encompassing.
Insurance companies pay the set rates setup by government.. It is government that sets percentiles, UCR rates, ICD 9/10 rates, not the private sector. And if you think insurance companies are underpaying, then surely you will agree that government is, since they all pay under the same guidelines.. again, established by government!!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Your agent is lying to you. I work with Doctors on a daily basis and they say the opposite. So who should I trust...your insurance agent or a Doctor?
Then explain to me why the CBO said costs will go up MORE with Obamacare than without it? Lets see who we should trust, your doctor, or the governmental agency responsible for analyzing costs involved with bills and their affects on consumers?

Your Doctors wouldn't know square 1 about who pays what, they dont do billings, they contract this out to processors or billing departments.. They are insulated from the billing activities and payment activities for a reason, which is government doesn't want them making health decisions based upon financial considerations of the patients. I'd say somewhere along the line you are confused.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The ONLY fact that counts is the fact that insurance companies can charge whatever they want.

And Republicans fight for that "right".
Say what? Health insurance rates require approval by the various states.

I mean if you are going to just make stuff up at least do it about something that isn't so obviously wrong.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Say what? Health insurance rates require approval by the various states.

I mean if you are going to just make stuff up at least do it about something that isn't so obviously wrong.
and most are approved....and have been for some time...you think Insurance companies have no influence on the state or the "approval"...how naive....

Old 12-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
What the point? Insurance mafia is an oligopoly. They ALL raise rates in tandem - the comsumers have no choice. Much like the utility industry.
Stop making stuff up. Essentially, the rates are set by the government but that's a inconvenient truth now isn't it?

How health insurance rates are set (http://www.insurance.wa.gov/consumers/health/ratesetting.shtml - broken link)

Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
and most are approved....and have been for some time...you think Insurance companies have no influence on the state or the "approval"...how naive....
Seriously, that's so grossly incorrect that I'm laughing out loud right now.

Ever made a rate filing in your life? In a state like Washington?

Heck, you didn't even know about the process until probably today.

P.S. Very few filings are ever disproved. They are approved for less than initially sought or withdrawn. Anything else you want to know based in fact and reality please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
From the factcheck article:

Quote:
Premium rates for many in the individual market are going up. But state insurance commissioners and health care experts told us the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is responsible in most cases for only a small portion of these increases. The main cause of double-digit rate hikes is rising medical costs.
So does anyone dispute the role of rising medical cost as playing a bigger role with the increase in certain premiums over the health care law's role?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies