Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times

Advertisements

This according to Ben Bernake on 60 minutes. I am sure these are likely loose numbers, but not far from the truth.

I guess college does make a difference despite all the anti-intellectual blather to the contrary.

Yes, I know you know a guy who dropped out of first grade and makes a million dollars a year, and a homeless guy with a PhD, but your anecdote is the exception not the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 05:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
I know many people now with college degrees who are working jobs that require no degree because they cannot find work in their fields.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I know many people now with college degrees who are working jobs that require no degree because they cannot find work in their fields.
Yep. Lots of underemployment right now. I agree.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
I think it depends on the degree.

Art History or Womyn's Studies majors as examples - who needs them?

Engineering and Medical - a better chance a not having to live with mom and dad at 35-40 years old.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
Continuing unemployment and underemployment on a massive scale, and many are starting to wonder if this is the new normal. The economy certainly seems stuck in Catch-22 of "job losses mean less spending mean less demand mean more job losses." Government injecting trillions of tax dollars of "stimulus," but giving it only to the Robber-Barons at the top, did nothing but boost the already incredible numbers in their bank accounts.

It is becoming hard to avoid seeing that Free Trade and Globalization have done exactly what Ross Perot said they would do when he ran for President so long ago: send the jobs that made America prosperous out of our country. Too bad more Americans weren't ready to jump into the unknown ocean of a non-traditional candidate then, like they did so willingly without knowing what Obama intended to do.

Of course, what does Obama do in the face of 19 straight months of record-breaking over 9% unemployment? Make another Free Trade Agreement with South Korea! He claims this will increase US jobs and decrease the trade deficit, but as we know from Obamacare (which was supposed to reduce the high cost of health care insurance), the President is big on promising one thing while legislating its opposite. Here's what the Economic Policy Institute found when they analyzed the new agreement (that still must be ratified by the Democratic Rubber Stampers): "EPI’s research shows it will increase the U.S. trade deficit with Korea by about $16.7 billion, and displace about 159,000 American jobs within the first seven years after it takes effect." Free Trade Agreement with Korea will cost U.S. jobs

So, in other words, the South Korea free trade agreement will do exactly what NAFTA and all those other agreements did: cost more American jobs and further increase our trade deficits. Who could have predicted that?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:31 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This according to Ben Bernake on 60 minutes. I am sure these are likely loose numbers, but not far from the truth.

I guess college does make a difference despite all the anti-intellectual blather to the contrary.

Yes, I know you know a guy who dropped out of first grade and makes a million dollars a year, and a homeless guy with a PhD, but your anecdote is the exception not the rule.
It only makes a difference because of societal values. All this means is people are more likily to hire someone who has a college degree. It doesn't mean the person who has a college degree is more experienced, a better candidate, etc for the job. Many employers won't even consider someone for a position, especially in corporate america, without a college degree.

The issue people bring up is this: College is expensive. Very expensive and in these economic times, many people cannot afford to send their kids to college and get an "advanced degree." So, why not have vocational schools and training, specific to one area? Not a 4 yr college experience, which generally takes 5 yrs, and is really nothing but a 4-5 yr drunken sex orgy, which puts families on the brink of financial disaster.

If the CEO of a company and the people in this country would change their values on this issue, a college degree, in most circumstances, would be moot.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

I like that guy with his BS degree serving me my mustard wopper...

Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
Quote:
I know a new PHd that can't find a job in his field, found one doing something else and was laid off from that job and can't find anything at all now...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
That's interesting. I know many people who majored in something useless in college. I wonder if we are talking about the same crowd.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I know a new PHd that can't find a job in his field, found one doing something else and was laid off from that job and can't find anything at all now...
OK again, everyone knows a guy who is an exception to the rule... However, again, you are more likely to be employed if you have a college degree. That's the statistic. You can draw any conclusion form the statistic that you wish. Keep in mind that anecdotes aren't statistical evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies