Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times

Advertisements

Three of four state grads not ready for college, ACT scores show

Only 23 percent of Illinois’ 2011 high school graduating class — public and private — met college readiness standards in all four ACT subjects tested: English, reading, math and science.

Among the state’s African-American students, only 6 percent met that same college-ready science bar.

Plus, Illinois’ average ACT score of 20.9 beat that of the three other states that mandate the ACT — Colorado (20.7), Michigan (20.0) and Kentucky (19.6).

An article is written about how dismal the high school grads are - and then there are four other states with lower testing scores.

I'm sorry, but this is criminal. These kids will be adults and will have to support themselves at some point. They are the future economy. Between this and the taxes they will have to pay to support today's debt - these kids don't stand a chance in the future.

This record over a long period of time tells me that some people want this to happen.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 08-17-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Judge Smails: "The world needs ditchdiggers!!".

Obama: "I got the shovels!"

Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
This is why tech employers are hiring more foreigners.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
NCLB has done it's work.

Lower the bar so that No Child is Left Behind.
I'd say that bar is now buried.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NCLB has done it's work.

Lower the bar so that No Child is Left Behind.
I'd say that bar is now buried.
Yup. Tragic, isn't it? How stupid did they have to be to think that wouldn't be the result?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:17 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,015 times
Chicago is not alone. And its not just lower socioeconomic kids either.
Apparently, one in three kids across socioeconomic lines require remedial classes in college after graduating in Mass.

Thousands of Mass. high school grads need remedial college classes - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

It, indeed, is a disgrace. And the Fed. Dept of Educ. spends, what, $20 Billion a year of our tax dollars.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Only 23 percent of Illinois’ 2011 high school graduating class — public and private — met college readiness standards in all four ACT subjects tested: English, reading, math and science.

Among the state’s African-American students, only 6 percent met that same college-ready science bar.

Plus, Illinois’ average ACT score of 20.9 beat that of the three other states that mandate the ACT — Colorado (20.7), Michigan (20.0) and Kentucky (19.6).

An article is written about how dismal the high school grads are - and then there are four other states with lower testing scores.

I'm sorry, but this is criminal. These kids will be adults and will have to support themselves at some point. They are the future economy. Between this and the taxes they will have to pay to support today's debt - these kids don't stand a chance in the future.

This record over a long period of time tells me that some people want this to happen.
The article is about the state of Illinois, not just the City of Chicago... do you have an agenda against Chicago?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:

You haven't been paying attention, they will not have to support themselves. The government will take care of their needs and wants.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
The article is about the state of Illinois, not just the City of Chicago... do you have an agenda against Chicago?
Chicago newspaper got me thinking Chicago. No agenda against Chicago on my part - just an incorrect title.

It is corrected. EDIT: Well, only the interior title changed. I tried.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
Quote:
Chicago newspaper got me thinking Chicago. No agenda against Chicago on my part - just an incorrect title.

It is corrected.
Much better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies