Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,642,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post
Here's a link to a NY Daily News article:

When joblessness is work

"There's definitely a perception out there that people who lose their job are just living off the free money they get from the government," he said.

There are few articles I confess, but the stigma is there. I guess it's not "big enough" of a story for the media to cover.
The article you linked fails to mention welfare and as such the OP’s assertion remains unsubstantiated and is nothing more than his personal opinion and bias against the unemployed. The so-called “stigma” that the unemployed are “lazy” is perpetrated by the unapprised including politicians and when hiring managers pick up on this the unemployed do not get interviewed or hired. Losing your job through no fault of your own does not mean that you are lazy, it means that you no longer have a job.

Why exactly is it so important that folks on UE, running out of benefits, scared and worried figuring out how to make ends meet and paying their bills be made to feel worse than they already are? It’s bad enough that we don’t have jobs for the moment. We don’t need anymore grief, thank you. Anybody who has lost their job or been on unemployment would know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM

269 posts, read 711,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The article you linked fails to mention welfare and as such the OP’s assertion remains unsubstantiated and is nothing more than his personal opinion and bias against the unemployed. The so-called “stigma” that the unemployed are “lazy” is perpetrated by the unapprised including politicians and when hiring managers pick up on this the unemployed do not get interviewed or hired. Losing your job through no fault of your own does not mean that you are lazy, it means that you no longer have a job.

Why exactly is it so important that folks on UE, running out of benefits, scared and worried figuring out how to make ends meet and paying their bills be made to feel worse than they already are? It’s bad enough that we don’t have jobs for the moment. We don’t need anymore grief, thank you. Anybody who has lost their job or been on unemployment would know that.
The OP has witnessed it, I have endured it, and many others on this board have as well. The stigma is out there and consider yourself lucky that you have not had to contend with it. There are unemployed people who post on this forum everyday asking how UI works. With that being said, do you really think 100% of employed people know that UI and Welfare are funded from different sources?

I wouldn't put 100% faith in media either. Sitting on stories seems to be the norm these days.

I think you are looking for a fight in the wrong place.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,642,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post
The stigma is out there and consider yourself lucky that you have not had to contend with it.
I’m not quite that lucky as I’ve encountered it right here on the C-D forums. Thank You and the OP very much for continuing to perpetrate the unwanted, unneeded, and unnecessary negativity!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 PM

935 posts, read 2,414,958 times
Quote:
I’m not quite that lucky as I’ve encountered it right here on the C-D forums. Thank You and the OP very much for continuing to perpetrate the unwanted, unneeded, and unnecessary negativity!

I know what you mean about negativity. However, the post title is not exactly a positive title. Therefore, you do not necessarily have to read the negativity since the title sort of warns you ahead of time that it's not going to be sunshine and flowers . Positive thinking can help, but I also understand that those who are unemployed need to vent. Some see this as a way to vent a little and build a network of support so they know they are not alone.

However, if you like, you can do what Rich CD and a few others have done in other forums by posting a thread such as, "List the positive aspects of your life" to help take everyone's minds off of just the negativity.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:52 AM

269 posts, read 711,829 times
Quote:

I guess that means they should stop posting the unemployment numbers whenever they come out? Sorry you feel that way, but facts are facts. What you call "negativity" I call "realism".

Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,082,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I agree. I was watching CNBC a couple of months ago when France was protesting the rising retirement age. Some guy on there who looks and sounds a little like Larry King said, "The French get three months off a year, Universal Health Care, and now they're protesting raising the retirement age from 60 to 62? The French are just lazy! They don't work like us. We retire at age 67. They're just lazy bums who are throwing a fit b/c of something that should happen."

When I lived in the UK, I liked it because they actually believe in resting. Instead of 4 days to 1 week off for Spring Break, you got 3 weeks off. I got the chance to travel through France, Spain, and parts of England and I learned more about their cultures. My friends look at me like I was insane when I say we only get, on average, 2 weeks off a year.
It's amazing just how well average people can live when the top 5% of the population doesn't have 90% (or whatever) of the wealth. If the American populace suddenly became French we would have a violent revolution overnight.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,856,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
The part in red would make a good thread. "How to invest in the American worker." or "How to invest in American Companies".
Even in areas of high unemployment, you see the Walmart parking lots filled and many of the shoppers are spending their unemployment checks on - you guessed it - cheap foreign imported products.

When Bill Clinton signed NAFTA, the writing was on the wall, people wanted the cheapest posssible crap and they wanted the cheapest possible servants brought in here illegally to work for dirt. Now we have to pay the piper.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,856,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
All well and good, but given the basic costs of shelter, utilities and food etc there is a floor on how well (or even IF) one can survive on less than half your former wage.
Well - housing prices in some areas have fallen significantly, you very often can buy a house for half of what it once sold for. And it was cheap illegal labor they used to build the huge glut of cheap houses for cheap pay - so these houses should be cheap. And who wanted the cheapest possible labor to come here and pick and process the food - we've got over 30 million illegals here bringing down the price of food. Everything now is imported and cheap or it's grown or built by cheap imported labor.

Americans cannot expect to export all the jobs so they can buy the cheapest products possible an import the cheapest possible labor to take what jobs can't be exported and still think that Americans will earn ultra high wages.

What you're seeing is the end result of globalism. It's exactly what the globalist open borders politicans intended. Big profits for their corporations. The CEO's are doing better than ever of course, they're very happy.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 PM

376 posts, read 912,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Depends which state you live in. In NJ, employees do contribute through their paycheck to the Unemployment Fund, albeit not very much compared to the employer's required contribution.

3 states do have employee contributions, NJ, PA & Alaska, I think ~ that amounts to between .00% & .07% of income, a very small piece of the pie when matched with employer & taxpayers contributions.

This is not meant to flame anyone, just informational.

As a small biz employer, this cost is significant to me.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,761,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
I feel bad for the unemployed who are truly unemployed and out of work 6 months to a year maybe a bit more. Some of my friends fell into that category. But people unemployed for 99 weeks... I suspect many were on the govt cheese too long to wake up and it hurts them in getting a job. I understand some people made 250k, but that was a different time. Those people may now need to make 100k, and the 100k people 50k, etc.

“If you put enough government cheese in front of people, they are just going to keep eating it.”
Hell, my son would be happy with a job making 16k! (That's minimum wage for those who are slow in math skills.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies