Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:19 AM

376 posts, read 911,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post
In NJ you have UI deducted from your paycheck.
That's right, Mother ~ NJ is one of 3 states that deducts between .00% and .07% of employee income.

The huge difference is paid in by the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
It’s obvious there are sad individuals out there that not only hate the unemployed but feel a perverted need to look down upon them as well. The OP provided no links to support his statement and aside from his posting I am unaware of this so-called new “stigma.” It fails to help the job seeker already struggling through hard times looking endlessly for jobs that aren’t there.
Read the thread in here about repaying unemployment...it's laced with hatred from sneering ignoramouses who have a job and actually think millions of Americans all decided at once to quit their jobs on purpose just to lay on a couch and collect that whopping big unemployment check....yup, there really are people that stupid...

Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
I realized a long time ago that it's a waste of time trying to garner sympathy for unemployed people from people who have a job. Employed people are typically myopic. The prevailing sentiment is "i'm working, so there must be jobs out there." Or, "if they'd just look harder they'd find a job....if i were them, i'd take ANYTHING!"

Of course it's rubbish, but that's just how people are.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
I have been working since I was 4 years old when my newly acquired step father told me if I wanted to eat I would weed the garden. I weeded the garden but never learned to like it. The next 10 years with that Simon Legree went about the same although I did learn how to build buildings and work metal. When I was 14 I was big enough and angry enough to be able to tear his head off. He switched from beating me to beating my mother. She ran away and dragged me with her. That resulted in near instant poverty. I went to work for money.

I have worked for others even since except for a few years building a business that collapsed with changes in Federal policy (thank you Ronnie Raygun). I have been working for others ever since.

I work for money. I work because welfare or unemployment or any combination would not be enough to avoid annoying poverty. I expect to work for another couple of years until I can go on the permanent unemployment called a pension. I am looking forward to that. Using the pension to pay for the basics I will use my time to work for myself. I might enjoy that. The last 60 years of work have not been a necessity not a pleasure. I really envy the people smart enough to choose the right parents so they can be the indolent rich.

I think the hatred for the long term unemployed is based on the idea that “I’ve got to work so why don’t they?” let me tell you the LTE’s are not enjoying their nearly payless vacation and most would work if there was any available.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 AM

32,818 posts, read 19,511,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post
In NJ you have UI deducted from your paycheck.
NO YOU DONT

in NJ you pay a .01% surcharge to THE STATE, has NOTHING to due with FEDERAL unemployment

Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Read the thread in here about repaying unemployment...it's laced with hatred from sneering ignoramouses who have a job and actually think millions of Americans all decided at once to quit their jobs on purpose just to lay on a couch and collect that whopping big unemployment check....yup, there really are people that stupid...

Please know that some of that resentement comes from people who are self employed, run their own business & pay through the nose for all kind of taxes.

Now, they have to work much longer & harder for less pay when others get a guaranteed paycheck for months and sometimes years (on UI bennies).

You don't have to like or agree with this but please understand there are always more than one side to any story.

The vast majority of people who are unemployed are desperately looking for work. That is understood.

The question becomes, for how long does the taxpayers need to give those unemployed a guaranteed paycheck?

And for how much longer can our country afford to get deeper into to debt to pay for those UI bennies?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
Please know that some of that resentement comes from people who are self employed, run their own business & pay through the nose for all kind of taxes.

The question becomes, for how long does the taxpayers need to give those unemployed a guaranteed paycheck?

And for how much longer can our country afford to get deeper into to debt to pay for those UI bennies?
1. I don't think there are very many people on C-D who are self-employed...and we all pay have to pay through the nose. That said, i understand you point. Fair enough.

2. How long? As long as we have chronic unemployment.

3. We can afford it as long as we can afford trillions for wars.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
1. I don't think there are very many people on C-D who are self-employed...and we all pay have to pay through the nose. That said, i understand you point. Fair enough.

2. How long? As long as we have chronic unemployment.

3. We can afford it as long as we can afford trillions for wars.
THX for your response ~ I do not agree with the trillions spent on wars either.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,168,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post

Now, they have to work much longer & harder for less pay when others get a guaranteed paycheck for months and sometimes years (on UI bennies).

You don't have to like or agree with this but please understand there are always more than one side to any story.

The vast majority of people who are unemployed are desperately looking for work. That is understood.

OK, please NOTE TO EVERYONE:

The currently unemployed ARE TAXPAYERS...

GOT THAT EVERYBODY!!!!!

THEY HAVE PAID TAXES AND WILL AGAIN.

YOU might lose YOUR job..NONE are secure and you WILL collect unemployment rather than lose your home or let your family freeze to death or starve...or end up in a shelter..

I pay taxes so Halliburton can make a profit with Bush's fake war in the Middle east....I don't like it, there is nothing I can do about it..

I paid taxes to bail out the Repub Gods, The Wealthy...I didn't like it but I had no choice..

I have NO children but I have paid taxes for 45 years to educate OTHER people's way-too-numerous kids.

That's our bloody SYSTEM...you pay taxes for things you WANT and things SOMEBODY ELSE WANTS....it's the way it works.

Hate your average American unemployed neighbor? Well then just keep dumping on them ....stir up hate for no reason other than that it's easier than going after anyone "above" you..., stir up hatred towards middle class Americans...your god, The Wealthy, will not thank you for helping them out

Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,541,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Depends which state you live in. In NJ, employees do contribute through their paycheck to the Unemployment Fund, albeit not very much compared to the employer's required contribution.
Yeah in CA I paid into it. It is on my paystub, money I will never see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies