Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not at all. Anyone can afford to work. A responsible person would quit living on handouts and take the necessary transitional steps to begin to support themselves such as combining households, carpooling, swapping child care services, etc., to reduce costs.

The answer is NOT to reproduce at 3 times the rate of everyone else.
I agree they would. But when a woman already had 3 children with her husband who decided he'd rather keep his head in a bottle and steal the money for diapers, she's going to do what she's got to do. If she's made all those arrangements to reduce costs and her salary still doesn't add up, what next? The government can't compel employers of low wage jobs to give her a raise but it can let her off the hook in the form of taxes. If she isn't working she wasn't paying taxes anyway. So think again about who you are kicking. Don't make it so hard for people to do the right thing and they often will do the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I agree they would. But when a woman already had 3 children with her husband who decided he'd rather keep his head in a bottle and steal the money for diapers, she's going to do what she's got to do. If she's made all those arrangements to reduce costs and her salary still doesn't add up, what next?
Work another job (many people who choose not to receive handouts work multiple jobs), start their own business providing goods or services to others... There are things that can be done.

You seem way too quick to make excuses, and way too eager to continue the oppression.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
...but does not reflect the reality of the entirety.
That's precisely my point. Nothing I've said denies that whatever is going on in Kansas isn't real. On the contrary, what's coming from the right is denial about problems happening anywhere they aren't.

Quote:
It's not false. That is, unless you think the U.S. Government is lying.
Deliberately or mistakenly? The burden of proof would be upon us but either way you slice it, the reality on the ground with reaganomics was a nightmare.

Quote:
You discussed your own limited experience. I was discussing the birth rate of those in poverty in the entirety of the U.S.
I'm discussing anecdotal experience that has lived a considerable amount of time to amass a basis to make a judgment only about what I saw. The birth rate of those in poverty can be explained 20 ways to Sunday. The lack of birth rates happening in middle class has more to do with motherhood being a vow of poverty in USA. Middle class has less confidence in work stability, economic rungs of the ladder erased for upward mobility, pensions watered down to nothingness... a long list of assaults. The gays aren't attacking marriage and family. Economics are.
Sensible women are too scared to have kids these days. There are far too many punishments involved, but that any of the litany of punishments would be coming from republican policies... it's just like that fella who promised to love honor and cherish them. Long enough to get what he came for, then off he goes living out his 3rd childhood. There is your abortion rate. It's incredibly sad.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Work another job (many people who choose not to receive handouts work multiple jobs), start their own business providing goods or services to others... There are things that can be done.

You seem way too quick to make excuses, and way too eager to continue the oppression.
Work a second job paying daycare double the time, your kid forgot what you looked like, and the bills for bare existence (no tv) aren't covered. What else to do?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

Quote:
Then she goes off on the typical "GOP is for raising taxes on the 'embattled' middle class". I see now that Obama and the Democrats are going to use the old "repeat a lie enough times and stupid people will start to believe it" strategy on this one.
This strategy worked great for Dubya. Yep, worked like a charm: weapons of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction, weapons of mass destruction, ad nauseam.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
That's precisely my point. Nothing I've said denies that whatever is going on in Kansas isn't real. On the contrary, what's coming from the right is denial about problems happening anywhere they aren't.
I've posted the national data. You are the one insisting on an incomplete version based on your own limited experience.

Quote:
Deliberately or mistakenly? The burden of proof would be upon us but either way you slice it, the reality on the ground with reaganomics was a nightmare.
Not that I agree, but what does that have to do with welfare women having a birth rate 3 times that of everyone else?

Quote:
The birth rate of those in poverty can be explained 20 ways to Sunday. The lack of birth rates happening in middle class has more to do with motherhood being a vow of poverty in USA. Middle class has less confidence in work stability, economic rungs of the ladder erased for upward mobility, pensions watered down to nothingness...
So, what you're saying is those who choose to not take government handouts, and instead choose to take the responsibility of supporting themselves only have children when they believe they can afford to provide for them.

Meanwhile, the inverse is true for those on welfare. Not only does the government pay all of the costs associated with bearing children, but the government also provides a financial incentive to do so repeatedly.

Quote:
Sensible women are too scared to have kids these days. There are far too many punishments involved, but that any of the litany of punishments would be coming from republican policies...
No, it's coming from Dem/liberal policies that are growing the underclass exponentially, and dragging everyone else down by saddling them with the cost of providing for the underclass the Dems/liberals are growing.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Work a second job paying daycare double the time, your kid forgot what you looked like, and the bills for bare existence (no tv) aren't covered. What else to do?
You didn't read my post. What did I say about child care and reducing other costs?

There you go again making excuses to continue the oppression.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Then perhaps Obama and the rabid left should vilify banksters, NOT hard-working taxpaying Americans.

Oops! Obama HAND-PICKED the guy who DESIGNED the bankster giveaway to be his Treasury Secretary.
Quote:
President-elect Barack Obama has selected New York Federal Reserve Bank President Timothy F. Geithner as Treasury secretary, handing the post to a primary architect of the Bush administration's response to the financial crisis, according to Democratic and industry officials yesterday.
Obama Picks N.Y. Fed President Geithner as Treasury Secretary - washingtonpost.com

SO... Obama and the rabid left can't vilify banksters, they helped set them up to strip America's wealth. Seeking another target for their outrage at the economic disaster they themselves created, they instead go after hard-working taxpaying Americans.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
We should do what we have always done and punish the kids for having the poor judgment to choose incompetent parents. Choosing your parents is the most important thing the kids could ever do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies