Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,141,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You can not prove sceitnifiacally mand came from a lava pool.

Lava is too hot. What part of this do you not get?

Quote:
You ar eincorrect on the theory of evoultion.
Darwin's Theory of Evolution - The Premise
Darwin's Theory of Evolution is the widely held notion that all life is related and has descended from a common ancestor: the
Darwin's Theory Of Evolution

It may interest you to know that a lot of research has been done since Darwin put pen to paper. I gave you the link above. Suffice it to say we know a lot more about evolution than Darwin did in the 1800's, when we hadn't yet discovered genetics. You know, genetics! Did you miss the part about the proof being in our own DNA?

Also, you proved me right. All life THAT EXISTS NOW did come from some common ancestor. The Ultimate Ancestor, whatever that is, has nothing to do with evolution.

You continue to amaze me with your ability to miss this point entirely.

Quote:
when Sceince can show me what or who that common ancestor is then and only then is it not a theory Until then it is a theory as Creationism is.
I have already refuted this non-argument in detail above. Scroll up.

They are not the same. Creationism cannot produce a single falsifiable hypothesis. It is not science. Evolution can be tested in this manner, and when it is, it proves valid.

QED

Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,141,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Today I heard that 1 cigarette can kill you. Science is becoming a joke and it is very sad.

It can. It's just exceedingly unlikely.

Science is not a joke, but the average's American's understanding of it certainly is. An international joke. We are a laughing stock around the world these days, in part because of Creationists.

I'm getting a little tired of them embarrassing us.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,733,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You can not prove sceitnifiacally mand came from a lava pool.
If so do it
You said :
Not necessarily. There is no reason to believe that it was a SINGLE common ancestor. Clearly the "model" for DNA came from some source, but it could have happened more than once and in more than one place in time.

You ar eincorrect on the theory of evoultion.
Darwin's Theory of Evolution - The Premise
Darwin's Theory of Evolution is the widely held notion that all life is related and has descended from a common ancestor: the
Darwin's Theory Of Evolution

when Sceince can show me what or who that common ancestor is then and only then is it not a theory Until then it is a theory as Creationism is.
Right. Because Darwin is the be-all and end-all of scientific study. Let's completely ignore all of the learning that has taken place in the 100+ years since and all of the information now available to us thanks to genetic research.
That's like saying that development of light bulbs ended with Thomas Edison

As for the OP, clearly the reaction was prompted by personal motives and beliefs, as it would have been for any one of us in similar circumstances. I applaud the OP for admitting that had the teacher been on 'the other side', the reaction would not have been quite so fervent.

Yet another indication that this hyperbolic discourse that we adults seem to feed on is totally inappropriate for children.

I hope that the situation is resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:33 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,948,772 times
Strel - please stop hijacking this thread and start your own. You are embarassing yourself. You claim you refuse to debate the issue, but then you can't stop yourself from posting meaningless, off topic drivel. Congratulations! You will now join the CD pedophiles on my 'ignore list'

Thanks to those who offered valid opinions and insight.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:33 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,871,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It can. It's just exceedingly unlikely.

Science is not a joke, but the average's American's understanding of it certainly is. An international joke. We are a laughing stock around the world these days, in part because of Creationists.

I'm getting a little tired of them embarrassing us.

I'm embarrassed by those that USE science to further their political agenda. And I agree that global warmingbecame an international joke. I feel bad for those that bought in to it without questioning it. It goes to show how many sheep there are in the world.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,326,559 times
All beliefs are not equal and some beliefs, especially those not based on fact, really are stupid. I see no reason why we should treat beliefs not based on fact as being equal to those which are based on facts. For instance, someone can say the moon is made from green cheese but that belief is stupid. Someone can believe the earth is flat or that the sun rotates around the earth but once again those would be stupid beliefs.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,871,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
All beliefs are not equal and some beliefs, especially those not based on fact, really are stupid. I see no reason why we should treat beliefs not based on fact as being equal to those which are based on facts. For instance, someone can say the moon is made from green cheese but that belief is stupid. Someone can believe the earth is flat or that the sun rotates around the earth but once again those would be stupid beliefs.
Sorry to keep adding to the hijacking of this thread, but....

While your statement is true you fail to mention that anymore, facts are cherrypicked. When this happens, science becomes irrelevent.

In a way I guess it fits the OP in that this teacher wanted to pass his opinion off as being fact since he was the authority figure.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 AM

5,343 posts, read 4,440,881 times
This thread is closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies