Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,119 times

Advertisements

Want to be a black farmer? Do you want to get government funding? Do not envy,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
So wait, the settlement was reached over a decade ago but nobody got paid until now? How come it took so long?
Because every year they can delay see's a dozen or so of those farmers die for one reason or another. Black farmers do not live as long as white ones. Word. Do you think the o.p. will still want to be a black farmer if it means he will be dead at age 52?

H

Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
this whole thing makes me sick. I guess the FBI has some dirt on OB now?
It may not have been the FBI. Any government official may seem like the FBI to people who don't regularly interact with government officials. My guess is that what he was actually seeing was USDA officials and Obama campaign operatives. The Hill article I posted gives it away.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Because every year they can delay see's a dozen or so of those farmers die for one reason or another. Black farmers do not live as long as white ones. Word. Do you think the o.p. will still want to be a black farmer if it means he will be dead at age 52?
Is that your explanation of how the original 50 eligible claims (Congressional testimony) grew to 94,000 and counting? The total number of black farmers during the years of eligibility was a fraction of that.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:08 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I can guarantee you that you would not have wished to have been a farmer who was black at the time that discrimation cost them and their families for generations to come everything for which they had worked their life away. Nothing can ever make up for all the harm that was done.
I second that.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Is that your explanation of how the original 50 eligible claims (Congressional testimony) grew to 94,000 and counting? The total number of black farmers during the years of eligibility was a fraction of that.
This is the main sticking point. I want someone defending it to go ahead and explain this.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Trying to gain sympathy by playing the race card, huh?

Please. Like Chris Rock said...there isn't a white man on the planet that would trade places with ANY black person for ANY reason whatsoever.

I'd trade places with Patrice Motsepe or Aliko Dangote - they're each worth $2+ billion.

Pretty sure I'd trade places with Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter, LeBron James, Ryan Howard, Alex Rodriguez, etc. Hell, I'd trade places with Tiger Woods!

There are lots of black people I'd trade places with, in fact.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:56 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Trying to gain sympathy by playing the race card, huh?

Please. Like Chris Rock said...there isn't a white man on the planet that would trade places with ANY black person for ANY reason whatsoever.
Bingo. You "white Christian males" can bellyache all you want, but fact is that you'd rather be a down in the dumps white male than a black millionaire. Partly because you know you still have the status that goes with being white, and partly because you want to ***** and moan about black people who are doing better than you are.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:18 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
President Barack Obama on Wednesday signed a $1.15 billion measure to fund a settlement initially reached between the Agriculture Department and minority farmers more than a decade ago. A few hundred black farmers were discriminated against a generation ago. So 40,000 black farmers today get $50 Grand each. I Heart USA.
It started out with just over 9,000 farmers, and ballooned into over 40,000.

Order the USDA Office of Civil Rights to re-open thousands (over 9,000) Black farmers complaints that were closed without an investigation.

National Black Farmers Association

Old 12-13-2010, 12:20 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Bingo. You "white Christian males" can bellyache all you want, but fact is that you'd rather be a down in the dumps white male than a black millionaire. Partly because you know you still have the status that goes with being white, and partly because you want to ***** and moan about black people who are doing better than you are.
Surely you can't be serious...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies